Center

mwalker

Well, we're obviously looking to sign one and draft one now.
I'm happy Cole is gone, but now it's such an obvious hole that could telegraph.

My thinking is they sign a middle type - Biadasz/Hennessy (vs Cushenberry/James)
with the hope they get JPJ or Frazier in the draft.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mwalker said:

Well, we're obviously looking to sign one and draft one now.
I'm happy Cole is gone, but now it's such an obvious hole that could telegraph.

My thinking is they sign a middle type - Biadasz/Hennessy (vs Cushenberry/James)
with the hope they get JPJ or Frazier in the draft.

Who is the more guard capable player out of JPJ or Frazier? And, does this make an argument for a Barton?

Edited by rlon

maybe they made up their mind and they will trade up if they have to in order to get JPJ?

or the middle type vet once again, then draft SVP/Frazier  in RD2 after taking RT (Fuaga and Latham some say) in RD1. 

Somehow , we better get at least one of these after the draft .   We know that Moore is a tomlin player so forget a OT in RD1 now that I remember.  Looks like JPJ in RD1 , if he is that good, just get him and be set for 10 years. Is he THAT good?  People went on about JMS last year as the best C, but he didn't have a good rookie campaign . 

Why did the Rams cut their C? 

6 hours ago, rlon said:

Who is the more guard capable player out of JPJ or Frazier? And, does this make an argument for a Barton?

I don't think you really want either of these guys playing OG.  They are maulers and not necessarily the most fleet of foot OG. You have three - four OG's with Daniels, Seomulo, Herbig, and Anderson. We need some help at Center. You get a stopgap veteran and draft for the future.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

maybe they made up their mind and they will trade up if they have to in order to get JPJ?

I don't think they trade up again.  In fact, I speculate that they may do the opposite and move down if a BPA they don't like is not there.  OT is deeper and honestly 7-9 could be drafted early.

or the middle type vet once again, then draft SVP/Frazier  in RD2 after taking RT (Fuaga and Latham some say) in RD1. 

Frazier is a guy I like based on his temperament.  Lot's of options at OT and some talent can still be grabbed between 25-39.  Moving down could make sense.

Somehow , we better get at least one of these after the draft .   We know that Moore is a Tomlin player so forget a OT in RD1 now that I remember. 

Mason Cole was a Tomlin guy too and he's been cut.  It's about making the Steelers get better. Dan Moore is not a bad option as a back-up. He has experience and is still on his rookie deal. You know his ceiling and floor.

Looks like JPJ in RD1 , if he is that good, just get him and be set for 10 years. Is he THAT good?  People went on about JMS last year as the best C, but he didn't have a good rookie campaign. 

I don't think he did bad as a rookie. He started 10-12 games and has a decent upside. Was he Creed Humphrey? No, but had the Steelers drafted him, we are not worried about a center this draft.  This guy was better than Mason Cole who was an established pro. 

Why did the Rams cut their C? 

He was a back-up kind of in the same position as Mason Cole. He was due to make $8 million and he saves about $4.9 million  by cutting.

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I don't think you really want either of these guys playing OG.  They are maulers and not necessarily the most fleet of foot OG. You have three - four OG's with Daniels, Seomulo, Herbig, and Anderson. We need some help at Center. You get a stopgap veteran and draft for the future.

JPJ only played Center for one year in college. Like many Centers he was a guard first and or foremost, he even played more tackle previous to this year. He also played DT. He looked pretty nice and mobile vs Utah last year at RG when he was in there. Watching that tape makes him even more desirable. He did play center in high school.

Daniels on final year of his deal, Herbig is mehh at best unless he transforms quite a bit. Anderson really could be a solid RT option. Semoulo will be 31 years old this season. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Daniels on final year of his deal, Herbig is mehh at best unless he transforms quite a bit. Anderson really could be a solid RT option. Semoulo will be 31 years old this season. 

IOW OL has limited hope  as usual aka tomlin legacy

would you opt for C and OT in first 2 rounds of the draft?  

or look to UFA for some help for one of those yet still take OL in RD1?

The feeling now is different than with colbert though, so it wouldn't shock me if they get OL in both RD1 and RD2

If Frazier is similar to JOnes as Alex points out, will there be a chance that Smith really pounds the table for this pick ?  They could trade down a bit probably and get another pick later maybe a RD3 or RD4 . 

58 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

If Frazier is similar to JOnes as Alex points out, will there be a chance that Smith really pounds the table for this pick ?  They could trade down a bit probably and get another pick later maybe a RD3 or RD4 . 

I'm really hopeful if we draft a C early, we trade up into the second to get him. I hate the idea of trading back and then missing out on the guy you want. 

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I would be hoping for Jackson, Frazier or Haynes. I not excited about other options stepping in this year. Haynes may be exception to stepping in this year but his talent/ability could be ideal long term. Van Prann can snap very well so theres that, but a lot of that dipping the head stuff that you see out of B Jones, Mims does it too, sign of reaching "ie waist bending" but I wouldn't label it as much of a waist bend. I have not remotely completed centers, I hope to get around to it. But you will see it on every one of Van Pranns games.  Limmer may struggle year 1 as he needs more grooming at the position I think, but has strength value at OG.

I mentioned the center from Titans as a curious possibility , as he was drafted under Arthur Smith as an OG, but doesnt really fit the Weidl mold. He moved to OC this year and he did however rate highly this year on PFF. I brought him up to Ramon Foster the other day on Hey Mon show cause I knew Ramon does the radio broadcasts for the Titans. He kind of said what I figured, that he played well, but is undersized but handled him self well considering that but you could kind of hear the hesitancy. Im not really figuring him to be the long term starter but I thought maybe there is a guy you can pick up on the cheap that can handle the position. You'd figure wed look for a versatile OG/C in free agency so that they can bring value if we do pick up a high pick center/OG in the draft. I kind of look for them to let Herbig walk even though he's supposed to have that flexibility I'm just not comfortable hes the guy.

SVP is the type of guy that makes sense is you sign a vet to a 2 year. 

Also I was talking with someone I the know about Georgia football and he said all the OL will have that issue because of the way they coach. 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

if they draft JPJ (as they should) I expect it is also a product of them being committed to Moore at LT for another season.  RT could be next years draft RD1 or maybe RD3 this year?

I think you can get JPJ in RD 1 and someone like P.Paul or K.Suamataia in RD 2.