The Book on John DeFilippo

WindyCity

Yeah, everyone sees McVay and assumes that the next young offensive minded head coach hired is going to be exactly like McVay.  There is a reason why you don't see hc hires of guys like him very often, it usually doesn't work.  It can work very well like it has for McVay, but for each McVay, there are 10 guys like Josh McDaniels who run the team into the ground.  

That being said, I really don't get why everyone is overlooking Frank Reich as if he's done nothing in the NFL, has 0 contribution to Wentz's success, and that hes not well thought of by other coaches.  He clearly has the resume, respect, and results that you would expect of a first time HC.

38 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Yeah, everyone sees McVay and assumes that the next young offensive minded head coach hired is going to be exactly like McVay.  There is a reason why you don't see hc hires of guys like him very often, it usually doesn't work.  It can work very well like it has for McVay, but for each McVay, there are 10 guys like Josh McDaniels who run the team into the ground.  

That being said, I really don't get why everyone is overlooking Frank Reich as if he's done nothing in the NFL, has 0 contribution to Wentz's success, and that hes not well thought of by other coaches.  He clearly has the resume, respect, and results that you would expect of a first time HC.

I would be happy with Reich.

I would have liked him to have a little more play calling experience under his belt considering his age and the years he has been around.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would be happy with Reich.

I would have liked him to have a little more play calling experience under his belt considering his age and the years he has been around.

I certainly can agree with that.  It just seems like everyone sees that Defilippo is a highly viewed 39 year old QB coach and just assume that he's the best candidate because he's semi-similar to McVay.  He may be a great coach, but if Reich doesn't have enough playcalling experience to be a head coach, I don't know how anyone could say that Defilippo does.  

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I certainly can agree with that.  It just seems like everyone sees that Defilippo is a highly viewed 39 year old QB coach and just assume that he's the best candidate because he's semi-similar to McVay.  He may be a great coach, but if Reich doesn't have enough playcalling experience to be a head coach, I don't know how anyone could say that Defilippo does.  

I can't speak for everyone else, but McVay has nothing to do with my interest in DeFilippo. It's how QBs and coaches talk about him, how Eagles beat writers will tell you that they think he is the one that likely will be a head coach in the near future, not Reich, and just hearing how good he is at connecting with his players yet still has the ability to rip them a new one when it's needed. All those things lend me to believe he'll be a solid head coach, plus he's a grinder which I think Pace will love.

The things we don't know, and won't know, is how he would assemble his staff (phrasing) and how much involvement he's going to have in all 3 phases.

So why all the hype surrounding DeFilippo? He's already viewed as an impressive teacher at just the age of 39.

"He's a great teacher, No. 1," Eagles head coach Doug Pederson recently said, via James Kratch of NJ.com. "He understands the offense, he knows what we're trying to get across. He's a great teacher, not only in the classroom, but the drill work and what he puts the quarterbacks through. It's all game-specific drill work and he really does a nice job preparing the guys, the quarterbacks, during the week.

"Very exhaustive in the film study and is showing them every look, every blitz and for the entire season. Plus, it's just the way he prepares these guys and he's done a great job with them. Great communicator."

Pederson is not afraid to promote his position coach for a head-coaching job in the future.

"I think he's got the demeanor, I think he's got the mindset [to be a head coach]. He's been a coordinator in this league and he knows," Pederson said, via Kratch. "He has obviously a great football background, with his dad and everything, being around athletics. He's seen it all, so I think he'd be a good candidate if he gets the opportunity."

Pederson is not afraid to promote his position coach for a head-coaching job in the future.

"I think he's got the demeanor, I think he's got the mindset [to be a head coach]. He's been a coordinator in this league and he knows," Pederson said, via Kratch. "He has obviously a great football background, with his dad and everything, being around athletics. He's seen it all, so I think he'd be a good candidate if he gets the opportunity."

Listening to Flip give an interview on what he wants in an offense:

RBs that can catch the ball

Diversity in the WR room... wants quick guys that can get in and out of breaks, big guys in the red zone, speed guys to stretch the field

TEs he wants your classic Y and your classic F... said having that move TE really opens up the playbook and spreads open the field

Believes strongly in running the football, thinks that everything should be based off that because it opens up your play action game and allows you to take deep shots

Said he wants his offense to take at least one deep shot per quarter because it keeps defenses honest

On 12/18/2017 at 3:58 PM, G08 said:

Best looking GM-Head Coach tandem in the league?

That or try to steal my wife's crush in Texas Tech's  Kliff Kingsbury. Wife says he is  Ryan Gosling without the p***y. :D

Her FF team is the Kliff-hangers. Its clever even without the Stallone reference, so I appreciate it.

king2.jpg?w=1000

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

That or try to steal my wife's crush in Texas Tech's  Kliff Kingsbury. Wife says he is  Ryan Gosling without the p***y. :D

Her FF team is the Kliff-hangers. Its clever even without the Stallone reference, so I appreciate it.

king2.jpg?w=1000

Fun Fact

When I was with the Montreal Alouettes, Kliff Kingsbury was a QB in camp and I have actually snapped him the ball. Long story short I have been felt up by Kliff Kingsbury.

Dude is the best looking human being I have ever met in person.

On 12/18/2017 at 3:00 PM, TankWilliams said:

I do not think it is about finding a carbon copy of McVay.

I think what McVay represents is the idea of grabbing a talented guy "before" he is ready. McVay is about looking past resume/age/experience at skill set and vision.

I have a new game the rules are that you build the best coaching staff you can around a head coach candidate. I encourage you to look for possible connections and reasons for the coaches to work together.

Coaches who are fired and hit the market

Chicago [Ha Ha]

Houston

Tampa Bay

NYG

Indianapolis

Cincinnati 

Oakland-Not Del Rio, but everyone else

Denver-Offensive staff

You can also use any coaches that are on the street right now [McCoy, Norv, McAdoo]

You must fill the positions,

OC:

QB:

DC:

Special Teams:

John Defilippo

ap-johndefilippo-browns.jpg

Archived