Marcus Mariota signed to 1 year, $10m deal

Seems to be enough smoke/ fire . It surprises me Peters hired him . I hope this comes up and at some point he says what he learned about the incident. The smoke is getting thicker here .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Show me one teammate that openly said he didn't quit. I've looked and I can't find a single one. 

I posted it on the previous page. Are you generalizing it as he quit, or he quit on his team? What are we separating? 

Outside linebacker Lorenzo Carter said the team respects Mariota and understand he had to leave to handle his knee issue.

"He put in his work," Carter told ESPN. "He gave it all he had and now, with the change, he went to do what he had to do. We don't feel like he left us out or left us hanging.

"We respect him too much and saw how much he work he put in all year to feel like that. So that's outside. In here, it's all love."

18 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Are you generalizing it as he quit, or he quit on his team? What are we separating? 

What is the difference in your opinion?

If you want to look at the word "quit" as a termination of employment, that's not what happened.

What he did do, was bail on all his teammates that counted on him as soon as he wasn't the starter. 

Thank you for quoting the section from Lorenzo Carter that directly stately that they didn't feel that he "left them out or left them hanging." I missed that quote. I guess one player did feel that way.  However in the same article, Ridder goes on to say that Mariota basically told him goodbye and that if he needs anything to reach out. Jake Matthews congratulated him about the birth of his kid and then they didn't speak. Jake saw no indication that his knee was hurting and that Mariota would have never let you know because of his toughness. Dude was the starting QB on 12/4/22 and all in and a ghost on 12/9/22 and on a "reach out if you need something" basis.

So, you can read all that and still say to yourself that Mariota did not quit on that team? 

I know I likely won't convince you, but I'm at a loss for what it would take for you to feel that someone quit on their team. 

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

What is the difference in your opinion?

If you want to look at the word "quit" as a termination of employment, that's not what happened.

What he did do, was bail on all his teammates that counted on him as soon as he wasn't the starter. 

Thank you for quoting the section from Lorenzo Carter that directly stately that they didn't feel that he "left them out or left them hanging." I missed that quote. I guess one player did feel that way.  However in the same article, Ridder goes on to say that Mariota basically told him goodbye and that if he needs anything to reach out. Jake Matthews congratulated him about the birth of his kid and then they didn't speak. Jake saw no indication that his knee was hurting and that Mariota would have never let you know because of his toughness. Dude was the starting QB on 12/4/22 and all in and a ghost on 12/9/22 and on a "reach out if you need something" basis.

So, you can read all that and still say to yourself that Mariota did not quit on that team? 

I was trying to make sure I understood exactly what you meant, because that had lead to issues before.

Did he quit? He might have. There's more to the story than we know, but yes it sounds like it got to - at the very least - Mariota, who was no longer active, to want to go home to his daughter and do a surgery that he had been putting off without full backing from the Falcons. 

I think some of the argument revolved a lot around did it affect his teammates and did they care? They didn't seem to. I truly feel like it would have come out if they did. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think some of the argument revolved a lot around did it affect his teammates and did they care? They didn't seem to. I truly feel like it would have come out if they did

IMO, there is no good that can come from a teammate blasting a benched QB for bailing on the team. Did conversations happen behind closed doors/through texts? I imagine so. I personally think the way he handled it was very unprofessional. However, he already lost the starting gig, so his teammates probably just wanted to keep being professional and finish out a season that they had to keep playing, even if Mariota refused to be a QB2. 

The surgery was his out and he took it. 

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

IMO, there is no good that can come from a teammate blasting a benched QB for bailing on the team. Did conversations happen behind closed doors/through texts? I imagine so. I personally think the way he handled it was very unprofessional. However, he already lost the starting gig, so his teammates probably just wanted to keep being professional and finish out a season that they had to keep playing, even if Mariota refused to be a QB2. 

The surgery was his out and he took it. 

But I'm saying it's been over a year. He's on his 2nd team since then. That kinda stuff comes out by now. 

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

But I'm saying it's been over a year. He's on his 2nd team since then. That kinda stuff comes out by now. 

It has been reported on. There has been no public rebuttal as well. You can believe what ever side of it you want to. I know how I would feel if one of my brothers did what he did. Beat reporters, podcasters, and fans alike all see it for what it was. Do you really need someone to spell it out to believe it? 

58 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

It has been reported on. There has been no public rebuttal as well. You can believe what ever side of it you want to. I know how I would feel if one of my brothers did what he did. Beat reporters, podcasters, and fans alike all see it for what it was. Do you really need someone to spell it out to believe it? 

If none of his teammates threw him under the bus, then yes. They sure didn’t have trouble with it with RG3 or Russell Wilson. 

26 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If none of his teammates threw him under the bus, then yes. They sure didn’t have trouble with it with RG3 or Russell Wilson. 

I don't think those other QBs situations are good comparisons. Both RG3 and Russell Wilson received preferential treatment for years before certain outspoken players went public.

By all accounts, Marcus Mariota was liked as a teammate prior to the end of his time in Atlanta. His abrupt departure despite their praise makes a bad situation worse IMO. 

I don't need someone to tell me a blue pen is blue when I can see the ink trail it leaves behind. 

I don't think what Mariota did & how or why he left Atlanta after being benched matters anymore. That was two seasons ago. He was Jalen Hurts’s backup last year and there were no issues reported about Mariota in the Eagles locker room.

I hate the signing bc I don't think he's a good passer at all. It's such a bad signing and a waste of $.

I know we received good return for Sam Howell in the trade with Seattle, but I still would’ve kept Howell rather than trading him and overpaying a backup who's a mediocre passer at best.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I hate the signing bc I don't think he's a good passer at all. It's such a bad signing and a waste of $.

Yeah, definitely that. 

• Like 1