Marcus Mariota signed to 1 year, $10m deal

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

One silver lining is I saw this contract is actually $6 mil that can only get to $10 mil with incentives that he surely won't meet. 

Figured - makes the Pro Bowl ha ! starts and wins a Playoff game HA! Rushes for 800 yards. stuff like that .😊

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Seeing what Winston got, I hate this deal even more. I prefer Jameis Winston the player and teammate and his contract over everything about Marcus Mariota.

Marcus Mariota “quitting” on the Falcons is no different than Winston being “hooked up” with free crab legs by a Publix employee as far as I’m concerned.  

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Marcus Mariota “quitting” on the Falcons is no different than Winston being “hooked up” with free crab legs by a Publix employee as far as I’m concerned.  

Its extremely different in my opinion. Mariota gave up on his teammates. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I get that is how you view it. I don't share the opinion. One of them directly affected the team the player was on and the other one (as far as I remember) did not. Not that the crab leg thing wasn't bad, but it had no bearing on his teammates. When you quit on a team and don't show up anymore, that impacts significantly more than "stealing" crab legs and getting a slap on the wrist.

Just my opinion. You can like the guy all you want. I do not, nor will I ever respect the player.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Not that the crab leg thing wasn't bad, but it had no bearing on his teammates.

His football teammates sure, but he was suspended from the baseball team. I dunno how that affected them/ 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

His football teammates sure, but he was suspended from the baseball team. I dunno how that affected them/ 

My research said he was gone for 5 fans while satisfying his community service. 

As I said, they aren't the same thing, IMO.

Here’s to hoping that Sam Howell improves and learns the offense quickly and makes Mariota expendable or QB3 as Kirk did as a rookie to Rex Grossman. I’d much rather have Howell as our #2 QB than Mariota.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a second look-Never been a fan but his stats show he's a pretty good Q B . Almost .500 as a starter 46-49. TDs to interception good ratio 93-55. 5.8 yards rushing . 63% completion % . Maybe he blossoms at age 31 . 

20 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Taking a second look-Never been a fan but his stats show he's a pretty good Q B . Almost .500 as a starter 46-49. TDs to interception good ratio 93-55. 5.8 yards rushing . 63% completion % . Maybe he blossoms at age 31 . 

He’s here to keep the seat warm for whoever they draft, nothing more and nothing less.  

But some people are going to be mad that he “quit” on his team.  Which according to the story later, isn’t necessarily the case and is an oversimplification of what happened.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He’s here to keep the seat warm for whoever they draft, nothing more and nothing less.  

But some people are going to be mad that he “quit” on his team.  Which according to the story later, isn’t necessarily the case and is an oversimplification of what happened.  

He quit on his team. Regardless of the excuses made for him in the Netflix series he up and left after being benched. His knee wasn't a problem until Ridder took his job. 

22 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marcus-mariota-sets-the-record-straight-on-leaving-the-falcons-late-in-the-2022-season-after-benching/ 

Mariota elected to undergo surgery for a chronic knee injury after he was replaced by Ridder as the team's starting quarterback, despite never appearing on the injury report. In Netflix's new "Quarterback documentary series, Mariota finally had an opportunity to set the record straight regarding the end of his tenure in Atlanta.

The veteran quarterback had his first child around the same time that he was benched. Mariota was informed that he was being replaced by Ridder the day after his daughter was born.

"So, ultimately, it's a long story, really," Mariota said in the series. "So, during the bye week, my daughter was born, Makaia. When she was born, Art brought me in… the following day. It was, like, talking about the future and kind of what he wanted to do, and they told me that they were going to play Des for the last four games. Initially, he had said, 'At this point and time in the year, the playoffs are a long shot, and we just kind of want to see what Des can do.'"

"I don't know why it had to be that narrative," Mariota added. "I gave everything I had for this team. I thought I was making a good decision for everybody. … Ultimately, we decided that getting my knee fixed was in the best interest. I came home, got my knee fixed and [have] been in Vegas."

As the series unfolded, it doesn't appear that Smith harbors any ill will towards Mariota following his decision to leave the Falcons late in the 2022 season. In fact, it was quite the opposite as Smith spoke highly of Mariota's decision. 

"I love Marcus; thankful that I got to spend more time with him," Smith said. "People look at them, and they think they're robots. They wear a helmet, that they're these modern-day gladiators, but there's life outside this building. He gave us everything he had."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35252053/falcons-qb-marcus-mariota-undergo-procedure-knee

Outside linebacker Lorenzo Carter said the team respects Mariota and understand he had to leave to handle his knee issue.

"He put in his work," Carter told ESPN. "He gave it all he had and now, with the change, he went to do what he had to do. We don't feel like he left us out or left us hanging.

"We respect him too much and saw how much he work he put in all year to feel like that. So that's outside. In here, it's all love."

Just now, lavar703 said:

He quit on his team. Regardless of the excuses made for him in the Netflix series he up and left after being benched. His knee wasn't a problem until Ridder took his job. 

He had a kid and was playing hurt.  Arthur Smith had a chance to trash him and confirm he quit on the team but he didn’t.  

The guy in your username?  You could also say the same that he quit on his team by refusing to play in the system established by the coaching staff, and a superior talent ended up basically getting benched because he didn’t get his way.  

These things happen on a yearly basis on teams throughout professional sports.  Hell, even college sports.  I quit on my high school golf team in my senior year with one match to go.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He had a kid and was playing hurt.  Arthur Smith had a chance to trash him and confirm he quit on the team but he didn’t.  

That's the biggest thing to me. No one has really backed up that initial article since it came out as far as I have ever found.