Marcus Mariota signed to 1 year, $10m deal

8 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I get some folks not being in love with every signing. I’d just like to remind everyone this roster is a ton better off than is was 36 hours ago. 

-They didn’t break the bank for any of them. I thought Armstrong was a little expensive, but I’m fine with it because they had no talent on the edge. 

-As far as Mariota, veteran backup QB’s cost 10 million. Its 1 year, get over it. 

-No one is signed longer than 3 years, meaning they’ll either be gone or EARNED another deal before this years draft classes rookie deals are up. There will be little to no dead money

-This years rookie class are now surrounded by established vets, leaders, in every meeting room. That matters. 

-For the first time in a generation that building has become a destination. The years of overpaying seem to be over. 

-Probably most importantly, this FA class frees up Peters to not have to meet every glaring need in the draft. Even move down and add picks next year. We’re in a good spot gentlemen. 

Mariota is awful. And not only is he awful but he walked out on his team. Rewarding that is stupid. Not to mention, Howell is just flat out better and younger and way cheaper. I can excuse the other moves but this one was just ridiculous. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Mariota is awful. And not only is he awful but he walked out on his team. Rewarding that is stupid. Not to mention, Howell is just flat out better and younger and way cheaper. I can excuse the other moves but this one was just ridiculous. 

So if you believe the story he tells, Mariota left the team after being benched, which happened the day after his daughter was born.  I can forgive him a decision like that being made in a very emotional time.  He also left to get a knee procedure done that was affecting his play.  

If you don’t believe the story, his former head coach still had praise for him.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marcus-mariota-sets-the-record-straight-on-leaving-the-falcons-late-in-the-2022-season-after-benching/

I think our frustration over this has nothing to do with the QB, but rather it still does not give us any sort of answer as to their plan.  Could they keep Howell, with Mariota as the veteran backup in place of Brisett?  Do they take Marvin Harrison Jr in this scenario, or trade down?  We don’t know.  Say they take a QB at #2, we don’t know who that will be.  Could they trade down and take another QB and trade Howell?  That could absolutely happen as well.  

Mariota, for mentoring another first round QB, is a fine option especially if he’s fine with that at this point in his career.  It seems that with them wanting to also bring Darnold in, IF TRUE, they might be showing their hand with going QB at #2 and having a former top 5 pick to mentor them not just on the ins and outs of being a QB but also dealing with the pressure/expectations of being taken that high in the draft..  But I still am not confident saying that is definitively their plan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So if you believe the story he tells, Mariota left the team after being benched, which happened the day after his daughter was born.  I can forgive him a decision like that being made in a very emotional time.  He also left to get a knee procedure done that was affecting his play.  

I will never forgive a guy for bailing on his team. It wasn't like he returned after spending time bonding with his daughter or while recovering. The dude quit on his team. I have no respect for that. That screams of immaturity at an advanced playing age. Quite frankly for me, that's not someone I want in the ear of my potential QBotF.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I will never forgive a guy for bailing on his team. It wasn't like he returned after spending time bonding with his daughter or while recovering. The dude quit on his team. I have no respect for that. That screams of immaturity at an advanced playing age. Quite frankly for me, that's not someone I want in the ear of my potential QBotF.

Even his coach didn’t say he bailed on the team, and had the opportunity to do so.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Even his coach didn’t say he bailed on the team, and had the opportunity to do so.  

What kind of PR would that coach have gotten throwing him under the bus?

Clearly the F.O. and staff here thought highly enough that they brought him in, but for me personally I want nothing to do with him and will never root for him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Seeing what Winston got, I hate this deal even more. I prefer Jameis Winston the player and teammate and his contract over everything about Marcus Mariota.

We also could've just easily rolled with Howell as the back up instead of cheering on this group apparently actively trying to get rid of him for no reason. 

20 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Seeing what Winston got, I hate this deal even more. I prefer Jameis Winston the player and teammate and his contract over everything about Marcus Mariota.

Or if we wanted a scrappy scrambling veteran QB we could just wait for the Falcons to cut Heinicke. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We also could've just easily rolled with Howell as the back up instead of cheering on this group apparently actively trying to get rid of him for no reason. 

It seems that I am the only that is truly comfortable to give him another chance at being the QBotF with a halfway decent team around him, so you are kinda preaching to the choir.

I have been beaten down to the point that I have accepted, not only are they going QB at 2, but that Howell is most likely not even on roster for 2025 at the latest

It's really not worth rehashing for me and I'm clearly the only one that saw the potential last year so... it is what it is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Or if we wanted a scrappy scrambling veteran QB we could just wait for the Falcons to cut Heinicke. 

I actually think, not only as QBs, but as teammates that both Winston and Heinicke are far superior to Mariota. 

• Like 1