Dylan Cease to the Padres

Slateman

Definitely better return than what Corbin Burnes brought but none of the prospects would excite me if I was the White Sox.  I think Thorpe becomes a decent 3/4 starter and Iriarte is likely a bull pen arm.  Zavala is a lotto ticket but not a big fan of him being more than a 4th OF.  

On 3/15/2024 at 12:30 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

Definitely better return than what Corbin Burnes brought but none of the prospects would excite me if I was the White Sox.  I think Thorpe becomes a decent 3/4 starter and Iriarte is likely a bull pen arm.  Zavala is a lotto ticket but not a big fan of him being more than a 4th OF.  

Cease isn't a rental like Burnes is, and should have garnered more than this, IMO.  Hate this return for the Sox.  

Yeah, I think Burnes has more of a track record but Cease offers the extra year of control.  I think the Sox screwed up not selling at the deadline last year and since they waited this long, I would have waited until the deadline this year if this was the return I was getting.  The risk is he injures himself in between but given they didn't have to move him, it was dumb to take so little at this point.