Saints sign DE Chase Young

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, JMG5 said:

This is why I'm confused. Hopefully we get more clarity soon because it doesn't make a lick of sense to me at the moment.

The only thing I can think of is they are designating it as not likely to be earned and then whatever they pay him in roster bonuses this year will just rollover to next years cap... but I am not sure how that would make sense or if they would even be allowed to do that. 

Idk someone needs to get their hands on that contract lol.

A lot of conflicting info on the deal. 

Spotrac and this article state the contract is GTD. They also state there are void years to spread out the cap hit. OTC has it as a fully GTD deal, with no void years. This article has what has been widely posted in this thread, which is a contract consisting mostly of roster bonuses.

So it sounds like the usual cap sites (OTC and Spotrac) just haven’t been updated yet. I don’t know where Spotrac got the void years from. 

Now, assuming that the deal is as reported, with tons of roster bonuses, the cap hit for 2024 should reflect his base + signing bonus + workout bonus + roster bonus, since those things are usually classified as LTBE. Bonuses that are NLTBE, would hit the 2025 cap. If somehow his cap hit for 2024 is just the low base salary + signing, that means that there’s language in there that classifies the bonuses as NTLBE, and then those dollars will just hit the 2025 cap. So, to the surprise of no one, the Saints would be pushing money forward to pay a guy that won’t be there lol. 

EDIT: However it does protect them in the event Young doesn’t play, so it’s not all that bad. They should’ve added effort bonuses too, lol.

Edited by Soko

Which isn’t really that bad to “push the money” for next year on the bonuses. If he hits the bonuses, there’s a decent chance we try to sign him to a longer deal and could back load his contract a bit, If he doesn’t hit the bonuses (or get many of them), it won’t be a significant charge this year or next year for him when all is said and done. Honestly as a Saints fan this is about the most ideal scenario possible to mitigate any risk with Chase Young.

Once I saw it wasn't a multi-year contract for a lot of money, I liked this move for the Saints. He's a legit defensive talent who won't jeopardize their rebuild. (Assuming they do rebuild, instead of spending their way into a few more 7-10 seasons.)

Having him out there with Cam Jordan will be fun for Saints fans, however long it lasts.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1