Saints sign DE Chase Young

RaidersAreOne

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952fubx0yato9s8g0nn6v8

Love this signing. We needed another pass rusher and bring in a 24 year old former #2 overall pick, and Defensive Rookie of the Year coming off an 8.5 sack season last year. He had 5 sacks in 7 games for Washington last season and had he not been traded and put into a rotation in San Francisco halfway through the season, likely would have had a 10+ sack season with Washington. Low risk deal if injuries or effort becomes an issue with it being just 1 year.

Man it sucks being in "Caphell" again this offseason LMAO.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

Let me get people up to speed with Chase Young's NFL career so far (and this comes from an original big time supporter of him, just check out my sig I'm too lazy to change): 

- Won DROY with a 7.5 sack campaign. Played well but likely won DROY due to a down year of rookie candidates for the award. 

- Refused to workout with the team for voluntary workouts during the offeason after his rookie season. Now I know this ruffles some feathers because they are "voluntary", but like 95% of the roster was there and he was only entering his second season in the NFL, the guy wasn't a 30 year old veteran who had earned the right to skip camp.

- Comes into Year 2 and plays terrible (maybe don't skip the workouts?), has 1.5 sacks though 9 games and then blows out his knee.  

- After his injury he refuses to work with team doctors. Goes out and gets his own doctor, and then proceeds to miss the major of 2 seasons of play, significantly longer than the original projection for his rehab. Guy won't listen to coaches on the field and won't listen to the team off the field. 

- Comes back to start for Year 4 and then proceeds to generally freelance and stat chase rather than playing within the team's defensive system. Gets called out in the media by Jon Allen for playing selfishly. 

- Young's father calls into local DC radio station talking about how his son is the Michael Jordan of the NFL and will be expecting to reset the DE free agent market in the offseason (this is during Year 4, not during the draft, not after Year 1 and his DROY, YEAR 4 when he's done nothing for YEARS). 

- Team trades Young to 49ers at the trade deadline while at the same time dealing Montez Sweat to the Bears. Multiple coaches and players gush about how good of a player and teammate Sweat is. Not a single coach or player said a single nice thing about Young after his departure. 

- Gets called out for pathetic effort during 49ers playoff game on national television. 

- Makes a couple of impressive plays during Super Bowl. 

- Gets serious reality check when hitting FA by having to settle for a 1 year contract. 

Young is a talented athlete who is lazy and has a high opinion of himself. He always seems to walk around like he's already earned the right to be respected as one of the best players in the league even though he's done nothing to prove that. He has been a major disappointment this far in his career and it wouldn't surprise me if he was out of the league in a couple of years. 

• Like 19

I don't love it. I don't hate it. It doesn't change how I would approach the draft at all. You still need DL and OL. If Verse or Turner is there at 14 you should still take them.

Its probably a slight overpay, but I think $13M is what Davenport got for his year with the Vikings. That just seems to be the price for these one-year prove it deals for former 1st round picks with potential and an injury history.

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm actually shocked they have money.

They had like $20M in cap space and still haven't touched Kamara and Taysom's contracts. Hoping they still don't unless Kamara is an extension for a much lower number.

Just now, JMG5 said:

I don't love it. I don't hate it. It doesn't change how I would approach the draft at all. You still need DL and OL. If Verse or Turner is there at 14 you should still take them.

Its probably a slight overpay, but I think $13M is what Davenport got for his year with the Vikings. That just seems to be the price for these one-year prove it deals for former 1st round picks with potential and an injury history.

I’d much rather see us take one of the top tackles in this excellent OL class at pick #14.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm actually shocked they have money.

I'm not. Cap problems are fake news. Been saying this for years. Just an excuse said by GMs/owners for why they aren't better at doing their jobs.

There are valid reasons for why a team isn't good, but it's never because cap space.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm not. Cap problems are fake news. Been saying this for years. Just an excuse said by GMs/owners for why they aren't better at doing their jobs.

There are valid reasons for why a team isn't good, but it's never because cap space.

Agreed. Our cap situation isn't great, but we've drafted very poorly in recent years. That's why we suck.

9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I’d much rather see us take one of the top tackles in this excellent OL class at pick #14.

I'm not against it. I just think you're setting yourself up for BPA now as opposed to having to reach for a player if your preferred options are all gone. Turner, Verse or OL in the first is what I wanted before this signing and my opinion hasn't changed.

Edited by JMG5