Saints sign DE Chase Young

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, tyler735 said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952fubx0yato9s8g0nn6v8

Love this signing. We needed another pass rusher and bring in a 24 year old former #2 overall pick, and Defensive Rookie of the Year coming off an 8.5 sack season last year. He had 5 sacks in 7 games for Washington last season and had he not been traded and put into a rotation in San Francisco halfway through the season, likely would have had a 10+ sack season with Washington. Low risk deal if injuries or effort becomes an issue with it being just 1 year.

Man it sucks being in "Caphell" again this offseason LMAO.

Gonna save this post and circle back next offseason to see how you still feel about it. Chase is talented, but a lazy, underperformer who is still living off his draft stock and rookie year. I've watched almost every game he's played. He's robbing the Saints of at least $10M this year.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Let me get people up to speed with Chase Young's NFL career so far (and this comes from an original big time supporter of him, just check out my sig I'm too lazy to change): 

- Won DROY with a 7.5 sack campaign. Played well but likely won DROY due to a down year of rookie candidates for the award. 

- Refused to workout with the team for voluntary workouts during the offeason after his rookie season. Now I know this ruffles some feathers because they are "voluntary", but like 95% of the roster was there and he was only entering his second season in the NFL, the guy wasn't a 30 year old veteran who had earned the right to skip camp.

- Comes into Year 2 and plays terrible (maybe don't skip the workouts?), has 1.5 sacks though 9 games and then blows out his knee.  

- After his injury he refuses to work with team doctors. Goes out and gets his own doctor, and then proceeds to miss the major of 2 seasons of play, significantly longer than the original projection for his rehab. Guy won't listen to coaches on the field and won't listen to the team off the field. 

- Comes back to start for Year 4 and then proceeds to generally freelance and stat chase rather than playing within the team's defensive system. Gets called out in the media by Jon Allen for playing selfishly. 

- Young's father calls into local DC radio station talking about how his son is the Michael Jordan of the NFL and will be expecting to reset the DE free agent market in the offseason (this is during Year 4, not during the draft, not after Year 1 and his DROY, YEAR 4 when he's done nothing for YEARS). 

- Team trades Young to 49ers at the trade deadline while at the same time dealing Montez Sweat to the Bears. Multiple coaches and players gush about how good of a player and teammate Sweat is. Not a single coach or player said a single nice thing about Young after his departure. 

- Gets called out for pathetic effort during 49ers playoff game on national television. 

- Makes a couple of impressive plays during Super Bowl. 

- Gets serious reality check when hitting FA by having to settle for a 1 year contract. 

Young is a talented athlete who is lazy and has a high opinion of himself. He always seems to walk around like he's already earned the right to be respected as one of the best players in the league even though he's done nothing to prove that. He has been a major disappointment this far in his career and it wouldn't surprise me if he was out of the league in a couple of years. 

This. You guys REALLY need to listen to us Washington fans on this. @MKnight82 nailed it.

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Gonna save this post and circle back next offseason to see how you still feel about it. Chase is a a talented, but a lazy, underperformer who is still living off his draft stock and rookie year. I've watched almost every game he's played. He's robbing the Saints of at least $10M this year.

Worst case we invested 1 year into him with no huge draft capital or multi year investment attached to his signing. His pass rush win rate last season would have been highest on the Saints roster and if I’m not mistaken he had more hurries than any DE on the Saints roster last season as well. I’ll gladly take the “risk” on him as he should be an upgrade over what we had last season.

He also was a force in the biggest game of his career in the Super Bowl with a sack, forcing an intentional grounding penalty on Mahomes, and 4 or 5 pressures.

Edited by tyler735

37 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Worst case we invested 1 year into him with no huge draft capital or multi year investment attached to his signing. His pass rush win rate last season would have been highest on the Saints roster and if I’m not mistaken he had more hurries than any DE on the Saints roster last season as well. 

Sure. I guess he's an upgrade to what you currently have.

But I hope you're gonna be happy with him taking plays (and quarters) off and watching him loaf on the field instead of hustle. And watch him not play disciplined ball. I've literally watched almost every game he's played (only missed a few 49ers games this season but in those he didn't do squat). And he's lazy and uncoachable. He's a glory hound that freelances too much. A me-first player who talks a good game but is "all hat and no cattle".

Can he change? Sure. But I seriously doubt he's gonna stop being who he is 5 years into his NFL career. My guess is he puts forth effort for maybe the first 3-4 games and then coasts the rest of the season (it is a macrocosm of how he plays each play actually).

The bigger issue is that you only had $26M in cap space before fully guaranteeing his contract. And you have only 1 year (so not additional years to amortize the $$).

So now you only have $13M in cap space left. You still have some players to re-sign and you still need $$ for draftees and to keep on-hand for moves during the season.

So yes, you invested only a 1 year contract. But making this fully guaranteed given your cap situation (wiping out half of your available cap) and his past body of "work" is more than I would've done if I were the Saints GM.

But hey...hope he makes y'all happy. Me? I'm happy to be rid of him (and was when we traded him for pick #100). He's your problem now.

He also was a force in the biggest game of his career in the Super Bowl with a sack, forcing an intentional grounding penalty on Mahomes, and 4 or 5 pressures.

A "force"? Guy had a gimme sack. Yes had some pressures. But then took plays off the rest of the game. He pretty much disappeared after the 1Q. I get pumping yourself up about your new pickup, but there's no way I would say that Chase "was a force" in the SB.

I mean...it's an okay signing considering the circumstances.  A one year performance-linked contract for a player with "motivation issues", is a decent way to potentially keep them hungry and productive.  It's an upgrade for a team that is kind of hard pressed to find affordable options given their cap situation.  Let's them keep "living on future credit" in a sense.

He's certainly a talented player when he wants to be.  But it's hard to really count on guys like that.  They might even show up at the right times occasionally, in big moments.  But you still need dependable pass rushing pressure through the rest of the grind of the season.  Whether or not you'll get that from him, is a big questionmark.

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

There is (I think?) an entire montage of Chase Young taking plays off and not hustling this past year just in SF. I think anyone should be highly skeptical of this signing. He's more name than actual production.

Yup. Not sure about a montage of him in SF but there was in Washington. This was the "last straw" game vs the Eagles where he got traded right after.

Start at 2:28 of this video. I doubt anyone can tell me this is worth $13M guaranteed. And this game is an example of pretty much his entire career in Washington (a few decent plays and a lot of lazy)

He got even worse when in San Fran.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Let me get people up to speed with Chase Young's NFL career so far (and this comes from an original big time supporter of him, just check out my sig I'm too lazy to change): 

- Won DROY with a 7.5 sack campaign. Played well but likely won DROY due to a down year of rookie candidates for the award. 

- Refused to workout with the team for voluntary workouts during the offeason after his rookie season. Now I know this ruffles some feathers because they are "voluntary", but like 95% of the roster was there and he was only entering his second season in the NFL, the guy wasn't a 30 year old veteran who had earned the right to skip camp.

- Comes into Year 2 and plays terrible (maybe don't skip the workouts?), has 1.5 sacks though 9 games and then blows out his knee.  

- After his injury he refuses to work with team doctors. Goes out and gets his own doctor, and then proceeds to miss the major of 2 seasons of play, significantly longer than the original projection for his rehab. Guy won't listen to coaches on the field and won't listen to the team off the field. 

- Comes back to start for Year 4 and then proceeds to generally freelance and stat chase rather than playing within the team's defensive system. Gets called out in the media by Jon Allen for playing selfishly. 

- Young's father calls into local DC radio station talking about how his son is the Michael Jordan of the NFL and will be expecting to reset the DE free agent market in the offseason (this is during Year 4, not during the draft, not after Year 1 and his DROY, YEAR 4 when he's done nothing for YEARS). 

- Team trades Young to 49ers at the trade deadline while at the same time dealing Montez Sweat to the Bears. Multiple coaches and players gush about how good of a player and teammate Sweat is. Not a single coach or player said a single nice thing about Young after his departure. 

- Gets called out for pathetic effort during 49ers playoff game on national television. 

- Gets serious reality check when hitting FA by having to settle for a 1 year contract. 

Young is a talented athlete who is lazy and has a high opinion of himself. He always seems to walk around like he's already earned the right to be respected as one of the best players in the league even though he's done nothing to prove that. He has been a major disappointment this far in his career and it wouldn't surprise me if he was out of the league in a couple of years. 

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

a saint move if i ever saw one

5 hours ago, tyler735 said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952fubx0yato9s8g0nn6v8

Love this signing. We needed another pass rusher and bring in a 24 year old former #2 overall pick, and Defensive Rookie of the Year coming off an 8.5 sack season last year. He had 5 sacks in 7 games for Washington last season and had he not been traded and put into a rotation in San Francisco halfway through the season, likely would have had a 10+ sack season with Washington. Low risk deal if injuries or effort becomes an issue with it being just 1 year.

Man it sucks being in "Caphell" again this offseason LMAO.

Nice pick up for the Saints.  He should give you some good production.

• Like 1

I think I’m higher on Chase than a lot of WAS fans are nowadays, although I certainly agree with a lot of what they’re saying.

The issue with Chase in the eyes of the WAS fan is that the draft pick of “Chase Young” was an absolute bust. But the player still has some value, even though he’s a huge disappointment. It’s kinda like when Robert Gallery became a good guard or something like that — that’s a massive let-down, but he’s still a relatively useful player who has value to a team.

Chase is still a good pass-rusher. It’s pretty impossible to argue with the metrics that suggest he was frequently winning and frequently pressuring QBs last year. From that perspective, he absolutely has some value. He’s still big, still strong, still explosive when chooses to be. He’s a threat off the edge. 

But it really was appalling watching his effort level at times last year. He was ruthlessly stat-hunting and indifferent to his responsibilities, and there were lots of plays where he was obviously making the “business decision” to not even engage with the OL tasked with blocking him. Worthless against the run, and that was really a shame, because that wasn’t the Chase Young who came to Washington as a rookie. He was actually better against the run as a rookie than as a pass-rusher. 

If you blink and re-envision him as sort of a Bryce Huff type, it’s easier to see the value. That’s a huge disappointment for a guy who was supposed to be “generational” — but it’s still a useful player. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

A "force"? Guy had a gimme sack. Yes had some pressures. But then took plays off the rest of the game. He pretty much disappeared after the 1Q. I get pumping yourself up about your new pickup, but there's no way I would say that Chase "was a force" in the SB.

A gimme sack? He cooked the Chiefs LT to get the sack. 

Essentially 2 sacks in the Super Bowl with this grounding penalty being called due to Young “sacking” Mahomes as he tries to throw the ball away last second. This play occurred in the 2nd quarter.

Plus he had 4 or 5 total pressures in the Super Bowl and for what it’s worth PFF graded him as the highest rated edge defender on both teams in the Super Bowl.

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think I’m higher on Chase than a lot of WAS fans are nowadays, although I certainly agree with a lot of what they’re saying.

The issue with Chase in the eyes of the WAS fan is that the draft pick of “Chase Young” was an absolute bust. But the player still has some value, even though he’s a huge disappointment. It’s kinda like when Robert Gallery became a good guard or something like that — that’s a massive let-down, but he’s still a relatively useful player who has value to a team.

Chase is still a good pass-rusher. It’s pretty impossible to argue with the metrics that suggest he was frequently winning and frequently pressuring QBs last year. From that perspective, he absolutely has some value. He’s still big, still strong, still explosive when chooses to be. He’s a threat off the edge. 

But it really was appalling watching his effort level at times last year. He was ruthlessly stat-hunting and indifferent to his responsibilities, and there were lots of plays where he was obviously making the “business decision” to not even engage with the OL tasked with blocking him. Worthless against the run, and that was really a shame, because that wasn’t the Chase Young who came to Washington as a rookie. He was actually better against the run as a rookie than as a pass-rusher. 

If you blink and re-envision him as sort of a Bryce Huff type, it’s easier to see the value. That’s a huge disappointment for a guy who was supposed to be “generational” — but it’s still a useful player. 

Seems we have a lot of the same thoughts on this. Clearly as a #2 overall pick, he has been a disappointment so far in his career any very well may never live up to that hype level. Saints fans aren’t expecting him to be Julius Peppers. We also had a similar situation with Reggie Bush in that regard where he certainly didn’t live up to the massive hype, but was a crucial player for us winning a Super Bowl and making some deep playoff runs.

I think most Saints fans are expecting Young to be a solid if not good pass rusher for us on a defense that is pretty well set in every spot on defense with a need for additional pass rush help. This is something Chase Young should be able to provide for us.

His pass rush metrics as you mentioned were undeniably good last season. Around the point he was traded from Washington in early November, he ranked:

4th in QB pressures

6th in QB hurries 

11th in pass rush win rate (20%)

PFF’s 15th highest rated pass rusher 

A mid season trade learning a new playbook and being in a rotation surely did him no favors to post big bulk numbers for the entire season, but he still showed glimpses like in my above post of him making multiple splash plays in the Super Bowl. 

He’s at a point where it’s kind of make or break for him with the effort concerns. If he wants to get a big contract, he needs to correct that issue this season. If not, he and teams will just have to accept that he is a talented pass rusher with limitations as a player. Which will hold him back from a big pay day.