Saints sign DE Chase Young

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And this was an even bigger “prove it” year on a scale in the playoffs.  I saw Bosa flopping around on the ground trying to get to the QB in the Super Bowl and I immediately told my friend that you never see that effort from Chase Young.  

As far as I am concerned, he already had the prove it deal and lost big.  If he flops again, which I think is likely,  it’s probably out of the league time.   

I know we were talking about it and I had the same thoughts as I watched it. Because I saw Chase's "hustle" against Detroit. And his Haynesworth-esque flop against the Eagles (when in SF, not with WASH) when Hurts was scrambling. He's talented as hell, but his "want to" rarely shows up. And you know what they say about talent and hard work.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

This deal is looking better and better for the Saints. A ton of protection if he were to miss time and a ton of incentive for Chase Young to bust his *** this season for the Saints.

100%. Very glad they got the insurance on his health. His base value of 1 year at $4.56M is very reasonable. I think your GM got this contract right.

Hope the young man realizes his potential for you guys. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

100%. Very glad they got the insurance on his health. His base value of 1 year at $4.56M is very reasonable. I think your GM got this contract right.

Hope the young man realizes his potential for you guys. 

And its entirely on this years books. No voids. Very solid deal.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2024 at 2:13 PM, tyler735 said:

😂

The optics of this are soooooo good.  😆

I'm sure they were plenty of aware of the whole situation when they offered the contract, but it still looks hilarious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

How does that even work with most of his money being in per game roster bonuses?

No idea lol. What I do know is it’s a huge boost for us to be able to potentially sign a solid OL before the draft, which would provide us more freedom to truly go BPA at pick #14. A guy like Brock Bowers if he were to fall to us would suddenly be a very enticing option.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

How does that even work with most of his money being in per game roster bonuses?

This doesn't make sense. Unless I am incorrect roster bonuses are calculated in the cap the same as incentives. A roster bonus would obviously be likely to be earned and would count towards the current cap year.

FWIW OTC has his cap hit at 12.5 mil this year which makes a lot of sense considering the contracts design. Maybe someone with more cap knowledge than I can explain how they could do this, but I am not seeing it. If they did somehow get his cap hit that low that would mean they are on the books for $9mil  next year I would imagine.

30 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

This doesn't make sense. Unless I am incorrect roster bonuses are calculated in the cap the same as incentives. A roster bonus would obviously be likely to be earned and would count towards the current cap year.

FWIW OTC has his cap hit at 12.5 mil this year which makes a lot of sense considering the contracts design. Maybe someone with more cap knowledge than I can explain how they could do this, but I am not seeing it. If they did somehow get his cap hit that low that would mean they are on the books for $9mil  next year I would imagine.

This is why I'm confused. Hopefully we get more clarity soon because it doesn't make a lick of sense to me at the moment.