Sheesh! Another Mock Draft!

RD 1 Pick 20. WR Xavier Worthy 5'11 169 4.21

Why? Speed. Who are you double teaming or where will your Safety shade to between Pickens and Worthy? Will they play safe and keep 2 Safeties high which will allow the running game to thrive or will a Safety come down and allow the deep passing game to strike? Worthy is every bit as talented as Jordan Addison who was also drafted in the 1st round. Is Worthy too small? He's 4 pounds lighter than Jordan Addison so I think he's good. NFL comps are Jordan Addison, Jaylen Waddle, Tank Dell are a couple players of similar size and speed.

RD2 Pick 51. DE Braden Fiske 6'4 297 4.78

Cam Heyward is closer to retirement than you may think. Steelers need help for Keeanu Benton on the DL. Braden Fiske brings tremendous athleticism to the interior of the defense. He can play 5Tech and challenge Larry Ogunjobi for playing time while also rotating all over the defensive front. Fiske can rush the passer and is stout vs the run. He is an immediate impact player for the Steelers defense.

RD3 Pick 84. ILB Trevin Wallace 6'1 237 4.51

I love the signing of Patrick Queen as he is the athletic alpha ILB we have been missing since Timmons and Shazier. Trevin Wallce is another fast ILB who can grow into being a Steelers type of player. With Holcomb still recovering from last season's injury, Wallce could be an early rotation to help control the North's explosive runners. I questioned his toughness on a play but I can't ignore all the good that he can bring to the ILB group. 

RD3 Pick 98. OG Christian Mahogany 6'3 314 5.13 

The Steelers Guards played well for the most part last season. After this season, they have to make decisions but that's where Christian Mahogany comes into play. In that one game vs FSU below, Mahogany had about 5 or 6 knockdowns/pancakes. Big, mobile, and strong Mahogany can be the future in the middle of the OL. It helps that he and Coach Tomlin have a history together.

RD4 Pick 98. CB Jarrian Jones 6' 190 4.38

Steelers have plenty of outside CBs with size with Joey Porter Jr and some development guys. They also added Donte Jackson through a trade with the Panthers. The Steelers now have youth and speed at the position. Jarrian Jones is a bigger Slot/Nickle dCB who can play the run but is also fast and quick enough to handle most receivers. 

RD6 Pick 178. OT Travis Glover 6'6 338 

Late round developmental player for the Steelers to groom. The team seems to be highly interested and he has been invited for a top 30 visit.

RD6 Pick 195. CB Shon Stephens 5'8 173 4.38

I'm selecting 2 Slot CBs because if Jones goes down, my system can still be in place. Shon Stephens will play STs and situational football. He's a late round prospect who is related to Joey Porter Jr and he fills a position of need. This dude is a true ballhawk with 16 interceptions the past 2 seasons.

RD6 Pick 195. OC Kingsley Eguakun 6'3 305 

Not a fan.

Wouldnt touch Worthy in round 1.   Pretty good player, but not a great fit and more boom/bust than people want to admit.

Nothing against the most of these players in general, but this fails to address either OL position where we have glaring holes and we draft two positions that likely wouldn't get much playing time this year.   And two mid-late round CBs likely wont help much at all.    Ideally, it would be nice, but we arent in position to make "luxury" picks.  I put luxury in quotes because while those are needs, positions like DL and LB arent nearly as dire as other positions.   Not saying we should force picks at certain positions, but unless something changes between now and the draft, it would be an epic fail to completely ignore 3 of our 4 biggest needs until day 3....and one seemingly altogether.

This draft is a "build for the future" type draft.  Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think thats what they are doing.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, 43M said:

Not a fan.

Wouldnt touch Worthy in round 1.   Pretty good player, but not a great fit and more boom/bust than people want to admit.

Nothing against the most of these players in general, but this fails to address either OL position where we have glaring holes and we draft two positions that likely wouldn't get much playing time this year.   And two mid-late round CBs likely wont help much at all.    Ideally, it would be nice, but we arent in position to make "luxury" picks.  I put luxury in quotes because while those are needs, positions like DL and LB arent nearly as dire as other positions.   Not saying we should force picks at certain positions, but unless something changes between now and the draft, it would be an epic fail to completely ignore 3 of our 4 biggest needs until day 3....and one seemingly altogether.

This draft is a "build for the future" type draft.  Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think thats what they are doing.

@43M I can 100% guarantee that Xavier Worthy is every bit as good as Devante Smith. He runs excellent routes, has great body control, plucks the ball out of the air, and is an excellent run after the catch guy. He's the real deal. He was a projected first round pick way before the combine. He's a fast football player and not just a speed guy.

Mike Tomlin loves Dan Moore. He took a first round talented OT and placed him on the right side. No way is he drafting an OT high. Media wants it but I don't see it happening. 

Donte Jackson, at his price, is your 2nd starting CB. He is good. He's a faster version of Joe Haden. Fans will like him. We have NO Slot CB on the roster unless they place one of those plus 6'2 guys inside. Jarrian Jones is already a stud Slot. Stephens is a wildcard and backup to Jones. 

Cam Heyward was injured last season and had offseason surgery. He's an active podcaster who has already hinted at retirement. Benton, minus Heyward, is the only legitimate DL on the roster. Ogunjobi is a constant underperformer who is often injured. Leal is lost and doesn't offer much. I do like Adams but depth is important.

Holcomb's recovery is the key for the ILB group. If he misses time, are you comfortable with Mark Robinson? I want some competition because his play hasn't been good.

When I try these mocks, I do build for the future, Fiske and Mahogany, but also for the present with guys like Worthy, Jones, and Wallace. We look at some spots and see weakness, but the team has reserves that they spring on us. It doesn't always work out though lol.

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

And who’s playing OC next year? Like the draft but feel we HAVE to come away with a center who can at least compete with guys already on the team. 

Remember in my earlier writeup, Kingsley is a good player. I will listen to some videos but I like to trust my own eyes on some things but this guy sees the same thing I see regarding Kingsley.

7 hours ago, armsteeld said:

@43M I can 100% guarantee that Xavier Worthy is every bit as good as Devante Smith. He runs excellent routes, has great body control, plucks the ball out of the air, and is an excellent run after the catch guy. He's the real deal. He was a projected first round pick way before the combine. He's a fast football player and not just a speed guy.

The guy is a stick figure with a somewhat small frame for his height.   

His route running was fine, but according to everything Ive seen and read, he ran a pretty limited route tree in Texas, so its hard to say how good his route running TRULY is.   He also is someone who could have alot of trouble with physical corners in the NFL, and that just doesnt fit this offense.

If we traded down to the early 2nd and got him, Id probably be okay with it.  He feels like a risk and reach at 20.     As myself and others have stated, I think there are a limited number of true first round talents and after about 10 or 15 guys (tops), there is just alot of a 2nd and 3rd round talent guys.    Good year to trade down.   Worthy is just not worth a 1st IMO.

Mike Tomlin loves Dan Moore. He took a first round talented OT and placed him on the right side. No way is he drafting an OT high. Media wants it but I don't see it happening. 

Lets face it...that was a means to an end, not by design.    Tomlin usually prefers not to play rookies unless he has to.    Thats why Moore and Chuks started the season.      Chuks was worse than Moore, but not by much, so they slid in him at RT.

Im not denying the team may have a higher view of Moore than we do, and youre right, Moore may end up starting this year, but I dont think its because they love him.   I think they either may just see other needs being more dire and may still have faith can improve.

I actually like Moore....I just think he is extremely upgradable, and this is a good year to do it (based on draft strengths).       

Donte Jackson, at his price, is your 2nd starting CB. He is good. He's a faster version of Joe Haden. Fans will like him. We have NO Slot CB on the roster unless they place one of those plus 6'2 guys inside. Jarrian Jones is already a stud Slot. Stephens is a wildcard and backup to Jones. 

I agree about Jackson....and I think we will bring in another vet.  But day 3 CBs usually dont amount to much.  They are developmental guys, and Id rather give Trice a chance.

I dont have an issue drafting ONE late round CB.   I just wouldnt draft 2.

Cam Heyward was injured last season and had offseason surgery. He's an active podcaster who has already hinted at retirement. Benton, minus Heyward, is the only legitimate DL on the roster. Ogunjobi is a constant underperformer who is often injured. Leal is lost and doesn't offer much. I do like Adams but depth is important.

Completely agree with the logic.   Nothing against taking DL high, in general.   I just wish they would address more glaring holes before we go into the draft.   Not saying we need stars, obviously, but at least center, nickle CB and WR are absolutely barren.     I hate going into the draft with such obvious, glaring needs.   They usually do a better job filling those so they can go BPA at positions of need.   This year, Im not so sure.

Holcomb's recovery is the key for the ILB group. If he misses time, are you comfortable with Mark Robinson? I want some competition because his play hasn't been good.

Do not disagree, but I think Elandon Roberts and Queen are a fine starting duo.    I think they could sign another FA and/or draft one on day 3 to develop.

I like the ILBs in this draft.   Again, I just dont see it as a gaping hole like other positions.

When I try these mocks, I do build for the future, Fiske and Mahogany, but also for the present with guys like Worthy, Jones, and Wallace. We look at some spots and see weakness, but the team has reserves that they spring on us. It doesn't always work out though lol.

Fair enough.    

I think its realistic and could happen.    This has just been a weird offseason and I still dont understand the plan....if there even is one. ☺️

• Like 1

One last thing @armsteeld, what do you feel like our WR depth chart will look like, even if we drafted Worthy (or any other 1st round WR)?  

Right now, I only see one guy on our ENTIRE roster I have any faith in, and he is pretty much a ticking time bomb.

Even if we draft another WR high, it seems like we have to double dip at WR.     I think we will eventually bring in another vet, but again....this is another position where the need is just absurdly obvious.      I really hope they dont view Van Jefferson as a top 3 option.   In reality, he shouldnt even be a lock to make the team.  He isnt good.

4 hours ago, 43M said:

One last thing @armsteeld, what do you feel like our WR depth chart will look like, even if we drafted Worthy (or any other 1st round WR)?  

Right now, I only see one guy on our ENTIRE roster I have any faith in, and he is pretty much a ticking time bomb.

Even if we draft another WR high, it seems like we have to double dip at WR.     I think we will eventually bring in another vet, but again....this is another position where the need is just absurdly obvious.      I really hope they dont view Van Jefferson as a top 3 option.   In reality, he shouldnt even be a lock to make the team.  He isnt good.

I actually love our WR roster. George Pickens is your alpha. Xavier Worthy would be my deep threat. Calvin Austin III is a legit threat at WR and this is his season to show everyone how talented he is. Van Jefferson plays the same role as CAIII and is insurance in case he doesn't live up to his potential. Here's where the roster gets interesting. Denzel Mims is your Corey Davis type, who excelled in Arthur Smith's scheme in Tennessee. Mims is 6'3 209 with 4.38 speed who can take the top off a defense. He's another big bodied WR but has great speed. Marquez Calloway is another big-bodied possession WR. His skillset is similar to Jerrico Cotchery. He can play outside or inside but he's better as a big slot WR. Calloway, 6'2 210, is a good WR that was pretty solid in New Orleans. He also runs a 4.45 and is a great contested catch receiver. His ability to highpoint the ball is one of his best attributes. I'm not sure why the Saints cut him but he's a veteran WR that we signed to the practice squad last season. 

Overall, I think we have a legitimately talented WR room. We have a couple of guys that can be specialized in certain areas of the game. We have a superstar (Pickens) and some other guys who are former high draft picks (Denzel Mims) and some speedsters (Austin/Jefferson) who are unproven to a degree but have shown glimpses of being good. CAIII is still a mystery because of the bad QB play and horrible OC we had since he was drafted. I expect big things from this group in 2024.

24 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I actually love our WR roster. George Pickens is your alpha. Xavier Worthy would be my deep threat. Calvin Austin III is a legit threat at WR and this is his season to show everyone how talented he is. Van Jefferson plays the same role as CAIII and is insurance in case he doesn't live up to his potential. Here's where the roster gets interesting. Denzel Mims is your Corey Davis type, who excelled in Arthur Smith's scheme in Tennessee. Mims is 6'3 209 with 4.38 speed who can take the top off a defense. He's another big bodied WR but has great speed. Marquez Calloway is another big-bodied possession WR. His skillset is similar to Jerrico Cotchery. He can play outside or inside but he's better as a big slot WR. Calloway, 6'2 210, is a good WR that was pretty solid in New Orleans. He also runs a 4.45 and is a great contested catch receiver. His ability to highpoint the ball is one of his best attributes. I'm not sure why the Saints cut him but he's a veteran WR that we signed to the practice squad last season. 

Overall, I think we have a legitimately talented WR room. We have a couple of guys that can be specialized in certain areas of the game. We have a superstar (Pickens) and some other guys who are former high draft picks (Denzel Mims) and some speedsters (Austin/Jefferson) who are unproven to a degree but have shown glimpses of being good. CAIII is still a mystery because of the bad QB play and horrible OC we had since he was drafted. I expect big things from this group in 2024.

Love that you bring up Cochery, an underrated player who’d be the perfect signing right about now for the slot. I also like the idea of drafting a guard lately, given that we have two mildly expensive and aging guards, one who is an option at center. But, lastly, I am a fan of the focus on speed, and I simply love your slot corner pick as a specific need area. Fiske’s TRex arms concern me a tad, though he is good against the run, has pass rush upside, and may be like having another linebacker on the field when it comes to pursuit. I think Mims on offense and Trice on defense will be diamonds in the rough. Don’t sleep on CB Barnes either, and looking at this scenario, you just cant teach the speed that would be on this roster between what’s there now and what you’d be adding to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rlon said:

Love that you bring up Cochery, an underrated player who’d be the perfect signing right about now for the slot. I also like the idea of drafting a guard lately, given that we have two mildly expensive and aging guards, one who is an option at center. But, lastly, I am a fan of the focus on speed, and I simply love your slot corner pick as a specific need area. Fiske’s TRex arms concern me a tad, though he is good against the run, has pass rush upside, and may be like having another linebacker on the field when it comes to pursuit. I think Mims on offense and Trice on defense will be diamonds in the rough. Don’t sleep on CB Barnes either, and looking at this scenario, you just cant teach the speed that would be on this roster between what’s there now and what you’d be adding to it.

I agree 💯. Barnes, if he can tackle better, had decent cover skills but his speed is unreal. He'd be perfect as a Gunner covering kicks while continuing to develop into an all around CB.

I like Trice but his knee injuries worry me. I'm more focused on Darius Rush. We used him at Slot and Safety last season. He busted a coverage in a game and they sat him down for most of the season. Rush potential is through the roof. Hopefully he's training with Minkah in this off-season.

I don't worry about arm length. Fiske has 31" arms and future HoF Aaron Donald has 32" arm length so we're good. Also, it doesn't matter who's arms are longer as most OL block with their arms bent which generates more control and power. How often do you see OL blocking with their arms locked out? The thought of that made me laugh 😂

On 3/23/2024 at 12:47 PM, armsteeld said:

CB Shon Stephens

He will be the most recent relative brought on board.  We need a slot CB too, and since gunner is gone, a KR   xD. Your RD1 pick might be able to help the ST returns as well but I was hoping RT in RD1 :ph34r:

10 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Calvin Austin III is a legit threat at WR and this is his season to show everyone how talented he is

I never thought this, but then remember that he also had QB play that was sub par to say the least as well as OC that was the worst.  Maybe CA3 will have a breakout year and shock us, I tend to erase recent years and not remember much.  How would a player such as CA3 be in smiths offence for those that know ?  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I never thought this, but then remember that he also had QB play that was sub par to say the least as well as OC that was the worst.  Maybe CA3 will have a breakout year and shock us, I tend to erase recent years and not remember much.  How would a player such as CA3 be in smiths offence for those that know ?  

Do you remember Khalief Raymond? He was a former Titans WR in Arthur Smith's system. He currently play for the Lions. Raymond is 5'8 180 and ran a 4.34 which is similar in size and speed to CAIII. This is how they used Raymond in TN, you'll like it.