2024 MOCK DRAFTS

Karnage84

I cranked out may last two mock draft prior the this draft.  This one is probably a bit more realistic.  That said:

The Lions trade #61 to Arizona for #66 and #90--Arizona is more than happy to make a trade that will give them two selections in Rounds 1, 2 and 3

29--DE Darius Robinson:  He is powerful, has a motor that runs really high and knows how to finish.  Adding Darius Robinson will give the Lions a D-line that is built to put games away in the 4th quarter.  Hutch, Reader, McNeill and Robinson will pound O-Lines into submission.

66--OG Zak Zinter:  This is a bit of a homer call.  He was a borderline 1st round selection prior to his injury but this still might be a little high.  He will have plenty of time to get right and learn from a group of really solid interion O-linemen.

73--OT Kiran Amedgadjie:  Prospects that check in at 6'5", 323 Lbs with legit 36-inch arm length and good movement skills are pretty rare.  He also seems to play with a mean streak.  He plays at Yale so he ais also probably pretty smart as well.  Taylor Decker says he is feeling great after his off-season surgery but he is entering his 9th season.  Let Hank Fraley mold this giant ball of clay into a mountain of gold.

90--CB Quan'Tez Stiggers:  He is a lot more than just a cool story.  He has a strong build checking in a 5'11" and 204 Lbs.  He posted very good athletic testing numbers at his pro day.  He will probably be able to handle zone coverage assignments from Day 1.  He will need time to learn man-coverage techniques but based on how fast he developed in the CFL and how he responded to coaching at the Shrine Bowl he will find a way to get on the field sooner rather than later.

164--WR Malik Washington:  He creates a lot of YAC due to his RB build (5'8", 195 Lbs).  He is surprisingly effective at contested catches and is just a very tough player.  He could do a lot of damage with the new kick-off rules.  He is still developing but might not make it to this point in the draft.

201--CB/S Wille Drew:  He is a small school prospect with big time ball hawking skills and very good physical tools.  He may need some time but has all the speed, length and ball skills that the Lions need.  

205:  OC/OG Jacob Monk:  He has played RT, RG and OC for a resurgent Duke program, was a two-time team captain and started 58 out of 59 games in which he played.  He moves really well (1.66 10-yard split) and has good functional strength.  He is a bit short-armed but has all the makings of a solid OC and might be able to play OG as well.

249:  PK Joshua Karty:  Michael Badgley is the best PK on the roster right now.  Joshua Karty looks like Jason Hanson 2.0  Enough said.

UDFAs:

OG/OT Gottlieb Ayedze:  He LT for Frostburg State and RT for Maryland but is projected to move inside.  He didn't allow any sacks in over 400 pass rush snaps in his one season at Maryland.  33-inch arm length is at the lower end of OT traits (Joe Thomas and Rashawn Slater have made it work) but his footwork is really good.  

CB Kendall Bohler:  He played at Florida A&M.  His physical traits are off the charts (documented 4.34 40, 690 Lb squat and benched 455 Lbs).  He ended the HBCU season on a high note.  Per Pro Football Focus, he allowed just 11 receptions (45.8%) for 84 yards and a touchdown. Of all FCS cornerbacks to play at least 250 snaps, Bohler ranked No.7 in the nation in yards allowed per catch (7.6).  I haven't heard much about him in the off-season but maybe with the deep CB class he is getting lost in the shuffle.  Hopefully the Lions grab him.

VIA PFN 

Trade

Lions trade #29, #73, 2025 1st to Las Vegas for #13 and #112 (4th).

The Raiders are rumoured to be interested in Washington's Michael Penix. However, they can likely wait on him and take him toward the bottom of Round 1. 

Mitchell is an ultra talented CB and taking him addresses a major hole in the Lions defense. This is a draft class that does not have a lot of talent on the defensive side and [Mitchell] is one of the top 4 prospects on that side of the ball. We've added a 4th round pick along the way. I don't know if we'd need to trade the 2025 1st in real life. 

#13 - Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo: He's arguably CB1 in the whole class and is considered one of the top 4 defensive prospects in a relatively weak class. 

#61 - Patrick Paul, OT/OG, Houston:  This is a deep OL class. Paul would likely be taken in the top of round 2 in a normal class and is sitting for the Lions toward the bottom of round 2. He can play either OT or OG. 

Trade - pick #112 for #117 and #191

#117 - Malik Mustapha, S, Wake Forest: The Lions already needed to add depth to the safety room and Kerby Joseph is dealing with an injury. He has potential as a rotational safety who can develop into a spot starter when called upon. 

#164 - Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa: 

#191 - Brennan Jackson, Edge, Washington State

#201 - Ryan Watts, CB, Texas

#205 - Sataoa Laumea, OG, Utah

Who does everyone want at #29 with less than a week to go?

I want them to trade out of first round. Gather some draft capital (this year preferred but future stock helps too)

I just don't think whoever is there at 29 will be significantly greater than someone there in 2nd round. So i am all in on trade outta first bandwagon 

30 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

VIA PFN 

Trade

The Raiders are rumoured to be interested in Washington's Michael Penix. However, they can likely wait on him and take him toward the bottom of Round 1. 

Mitchell is an ultra talented CB and taking him addresses a major hole in the Lions defense. This is a draft class that does not have a lot of talent on the defensive side and [Mitchell] is one of the top 4 prospects on that side of the ball. We've added a 4th round pick along the way. I don't know if we'd need to trade the 2025 1st in real life. 

#13 - Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo: He's arguably CB1 in the whole class and is considered one of the top 4 defensive prospects in a relatively weak class. 

#61 - Patrick Paul, OT/OG, Houston:  This is a deep OL class. Paul would likely be taken in the top of round 2 in a normal class and is sitting for the Lions toward the bottom of round 2. He can play either OT or OG. 

#117 - Malik Mustapha, S, Wake Forest: The Lions already needed to add depth to the safety room and Kerby Joseph is dealing with an injury. He has potential as a rotational safety who can develop into a spot starter when called upon. 

That is a trade that must have taken some effort to figure out.  I have settled on one mostly likely trade-down scenario but haven been able to create a trade-up that I could get my head around.  Given some time to develop Patrick Paul's run-blocking should get to where it needs to be.  Ryan Watts strikes me as a CB who will have better success as a safety.  He has the physical tools but might need some time.  Nice work!

8 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

That is a trade that must have taken some effort to figure out.  I have settled on one mostly likely trade-down scenario but haven been able to create a trade-up that I could get my head around.  Given some time to develop Patrick Paul's run-blocking should get to where it needs to be.  Ryan Watts strikes me as a CB who will have better success as a safety.  He has the physical tools but might need some time.  Nice work!

I tried to work it out manually. Wasn't going through the simulator. I then did the 1st and they accepted it. I don't know if the Lions will give up a future 1st but I also think the Raiders wouldn't demand one. If we're looking at the QB needy teams:

1 - Chicago - have the #1 overall pick, can take anyone they want

2 - Washington - have the #2 pick, can take anyone they want other than Caleb (arguably)

3 - New England - rumoured to be open to trading out of this pick

6 - New York - Could either take a QB, stay here and take a WR or trade down

11 - Minnesota - They traded to get pick #23 in what appears to be a move primed to trade up yet again

12 - Denver - There are rumours the Broncos are going to be aggressive in trading up for a QB. They might not be here on draft day. 

13 - Las Vegas - 

16 - Seattle - Could be in the market for an heir to Geno Smith but it's less of a pressing need

19 - LA Rams - Sean McVay's first 1st round pick in years, probably not going to be taking a QB here over a player who can contribute immediately

If the Broncos move up to either #3 or #6 and/the Vikings move up to #3, #5 (LAC) or #6, then there's been a pretty solid run on QB's for those teams. Raiders could take the risk that Penix is unlikely to be a 1st round lock and should be sitting there at #29 while acquiring future draft capital. They'd add an extra 3rd this year in the process and can continue to build out the roster. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Ryan Watts strikes me as a CB who will have better success as a safety.  He has the physical tools but might need some time.  Nice work!

He's a slot corner/safety. He'll be given the time to develop more and slide behind Iffy. The physical tools are there. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

VIA PFN 

Trade

Hate it.

Giving up 2025 1st is gross. Not a fan at all.

Do think Laumea is good value 

19 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Hate it.

Giving up 2025 1st is gross. Not a fan at all.

Do think Laumea is good value 

I don't think Holmes would ACTUALLY wind up giving up the 2025 1st. That's the only way it would go through in the sim. 

However, if he did have to give up a higher end pick (including the 1st), we're ideally looking at something in the late 20's to pick 32. He's drafted really well in the mid-rounds and this whole class is considered to not be that deep, so getting a high quality starting player out of it isn't the worst thing. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't think Holmes would ACTUALLY wind up giving up the 2025 1st. That's the only way it would go through in the sim. 

However, if he did have to give up a higher end pick (including the 1st), we're ideally looking at something in the late 20's to pick 32. He's drafted really well in the mid-rounds and this whole class is considered to not be that deep, so getting a high quality starting player out of it isn't the worst thing. 

It is when you give up future value. 

he's not worth that 

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Now that I think it through, it really isn't a bad trade even with giving up a 2025 1st-round pick.  It is likely to be a late-first-round selection.  A true shut-down CBs is almost as hard to find as a franchise QB.  His physical tools are top-shelf.  His size, length and strength should allow him to take away his WR on short and intermediate routes.  He has the speed run with just about any WR not named Jameson Williams or Tyreek Hill.  He would be the leader we need in our secondary.  The article below has some really good stuff about Quinyon Mitchell.  My two favorite quotes:  

“He said without a doubt one of the most impressive things that I’ll ever hear from a player nowadays: ‘Coach me hard, and don’t let me get away with anything"

“His Senior Bowl performance was one of the best I’ve ever seen for a cornerback,” ESPN draft analyst Matt Miller told The Post. “The way he competed in the drills, he was manhandling guys. Receivers were trying to come off the line of scrimmage, and he’s like, ‘Nope.’ I loved watching his tape — so polished — but in the back of your head, you are like, ‘This is Toledo. How good is this?’ Really, really good is the answer.”

Toledo’s Quinyon Mitchell unlocked full 2024 NFL Draft potential by becoming ‘polished’ cornerback (msn.com)

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Now that I think it through, it really isn't a bad trade even with giving up a 2025 1st-round pick.  It is likely to be a late-first-round selection.  A true shut-down CBs is almost as hard to find as a franchise QB.  His physical tools are top-shelf.  His size, length and strength should allow him to take away his WR on short and intermediate routes.  He has the speed run with just about any WR not named Jameson Williams or Tyreek Hill.  He would be the leader we need in our secondary.  The article below has some really good stuff about Quinyon Mitchell.  My two favorite quotes:  

“He said without a doubt one of the most impressive things that I’ll ever hear from a player nowadays: ‘Coach me hard, and don’t let me get away with anything"

“His Senior Bowl performance was one of the best I’ve ever seen for a cornerback,” ESPN draft analyst Matt Miller told The Post. “The way he competed in the drills, he was manhandling guys. Receivers were trying to come off the line of scrimmage, and he’s like, ‘Nope.’ I loved watching his tape — so polished — but in the back of your head, you are like, ‘This is Toledo. How good is this?’ Really, really good is the answer.”

Toledo’s Quinyon Mitchell unlocked full 2024 NFL Draft potential by becoming ‘polished’ cornerback (msn.com)

Interesting.  I think he’s “become” overated personally.  I like his potential but think his weakness are being overlooked in classic “ people fell in love with this guy earlier when he was lower rated and aren’t truley reevaluating him at current stock” fashion.  I’ve got Arnold as my #1 corner the Mitchel, Kool Aid and Wiggins all closer rated in a tier behind him.  

I’ve read and witnessed a lot of mixed things about him at the senior bowl.  Miller’s report seems ridiculously over inflated.  He played good, looked good, showed he could compete with higher level guys.  He did not by any means dominate the competition.  Roman Wilson reportedly had his way with him. I’ve seen this in a coupe reps but have read it was pretty consistent when the 2 matched up.  Wilson’s stock sky rocketed after the week so it makes sense. 

I do think he’s a good corner prospect and if Holmes thinks those physical tools can quickly be coached into an elite nfl corner I’m behind it. Personally I think Arnold is the only corner with trading up more than a few slots for currently.  

17 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Interesting.  I think he’s “become” overated personally.  I like his potential but think his weakness are being overlooked in classic “ people fell in love with this guy earlier when he was lower rated and aren’t truley reevaluating him at current stock” fashion.  I’ve got Arnold as my #1 corner the Mitchel, Kool Aid and Wiggins all closer rated in a tier behind him.  

I’ve read and witnessed a lot of mixed things about him at the senior bowl.  Miller’s report seems ridiculously over inflated.  He played good, looked good, showed he could compete with higher level guys.  He did not by any means dominate the competition.  Roman Wilson reportedly had his way with him. I’ve seen this in a coupe reps but have read it was pretty consistent when the 2 matched up.  Wilson’s stock sky rocketed after the week so it makes sense. 

I do think he’s a good corner prospect and if Holmes thinks those physical tools can quickly be coached into an elite nfl corner I’m behind it. Personally I think Arnold is the only corner with trading up more than a few slots for currently.  

You could be right but my point was if, for the sake of argument which is all mock drafts, Brad Holmes sees him as a player with a "Franchise CB" potential then the trade isn't that bad.  He isn't trading into the top 10.  Quinyon Mitchell does have flaws but they seem like things that can be corrected pretty easily and his attitude towards taking coaching does have value.  If he is a Patrick Surtain II type of CB or close to that, it is a good trade for the Lions.  His ceiling might be in that area so that trade scenario isn't unrealistic.

Terrion Arnold is interesting.  He is really good at mirroring and staying in-phase with WRs on short and intermediate routes.  He has shown some problems with his long speed though.  However, he is only 21 years old and his long speed might improve a little bit as he matures physically.  He reminds me a lot of Tre'Davious White in terms of playing style.

Edited by Just Want A Title

I definitely think trading up is more likely than trading down.

Holmes and Campbell are aggressive and I expect them to realize now is the time to go all in before our cap situation gets dicey.

We got Goff looking at close to 50 mil per year

ARSB will be one of the top paid receivers

Sewell will be the highest paid tackle in the NFL when he gets his deal

Hutch will command close to 30 mil a year when his time comes. 

Our ability to add talent via free agency is going to be gone very soon because of those contracts, we have to rely on the draft.

The defensive side is where we need help the most and unfortunately when it comes to top tier talent it's a weak draft defensively, there may not even be anyone with a true 1st round grade left on that side of the ball when we pick so if we want to add a player who can make a big impact immediately we will have to trade up. 

Or we could stay put and go offense instead and roll the dice in round 2 or later for defensive help. There will be 1st round talent left on the offensive side of the ball, especially WR and IOL.

But if we want a defender who will make a real impact as a rookie, it's trade up or bust.

Edited by rob_shadows

53 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I definitely think trading up is more likely than trading down.

Holmes and Campbell are aggressive and I expect them to realize now is the time to go all in before our cap situation gets dicey.

We got Goff looking at close to 50 mil per year

ARSB will be one of the top paid receivers

Sewell will be the highest paid tackle in the NFL when he gets his deal

Hutch will command close to 30 mil a year when his time comes. 

Our ability to add talent via free agency is going to be gone very soon because of those contracts, we have to rely on the draft.

The defensive side is where we need help the most and unfortunately when it comes to top tier talent it's a weak draft defensively, there may not even be anyone with a true 1st round grade left on that side of the ball when we pick so if we want to add a player who can make a big impact immediately we will have to trade up. 

Or we could stay put and go offense instead and roll the dice in round 2 or later for defensive help. There will be 1st round talent left on the offensive side of the ball, especially WR and IOL.

But if we want a defender who will make a real impact as a rookie, it's trade up or bust.

Darius Robinson and Marshawn Kneeland have been linked to the Lions.  Darius Robinson might go before 29 but Kneeland should be there at 29.  He might not last long in the 2nd round though.  If Cooper DeJean slides to 24 or so I could see the Lions making a move to get him.  He just turned 21 and has tremendous physical tools to go along with some pretty good film.  Like a lot of people, I was concerned about him having some "stiffness" to his game.  However, the more I think about it the more I get the feeling that some of the "stiffness" in his play is related to his track training and will lessen as he focuses on football.  

5 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

He's definitely becoming overrated if people think he's worth 2-1sts