2024 MOCK DRAFTS

Karnage84

25 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

DRAFT PROJECTION: 3RD OVERALL RANK: #84 POSITION RANK: #20 <— draft buzz

Draft Projection Round 3 NFL Comparison Emmanuel Ogbah <—- nfl.com

In the 2022 NFL Draft, Paschal has a shot at being a second-day pick. If he slips out of the third round, he should go in the early rounds of Day 3. <—— Walter football

With the testing numbers he’ll put up, as well as a Senior Bowl appearance, Day 2 is very much in play. <—-PFN, potential to move into a day 2 pick. 

Current Player Value/Potential Player Value &nbsp;4th Round <—- SI

I’d post more but I’m at work right now. Paschal was seen as someone who could move into a day 2 pick, he was slated as a 3rd-4th round pick during the draft process by most accounts.

Almost half of the links you posted had him going in the range of where he went.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Quan'tTez Stiggers will find a home in the slot a lot faster than people think.  He may have come from the CFL but he out-performed a lot of players with more experience and more physical development.  He went to the Shrine Bowl and had one of the best weeks of any player where they asked him to practice man-coverage after playing mostly zone in the CFL.  Most players aren't going to be able to do that.  I think what gives him an edge is his footbal IQ and recognition skills.  Even in this year's draft, a late 3rd or early/mid-4th round selection with his combination of physical traits and ball skills is reasonable.  

I think your reference with Ja"marr Chase and Justin Jefferson is kind of unrealistic.  Only a Patrick Surtain II or Sauce Gardener level CB would be able to hand with them as rookies.  Heck a lot veteran CBs can't cover them.  It is reasonable to expect him to come in and handle zone coverage assignments and man coverage on WR#3 and maybe even WR#2 is some situations.

I was probably being hyperbolic using Jefferson and Chase but my point remains the same. 

Vildor had 3 years at Georgia Southern, was a 2x All Conference player (Sunbelt), drafted in the 5th round and bounced around over the past 4 seasons. He didn't earn that job out of training camp. 

Vildor has 3x the amount of college experience Stiggers has and 3x the amount of professional experience (practices, etc). He's started 24 games over his career. 

Being drafted is going to be really special for a player coming from where he's coming from. I think he's draftable and belongs in rd 5 or 6. I can see him being a backup zone CB and possibly wind up playing FS. I'd love for him to prove me wrong and become an all pro. Seems like a good kid and it's a great story. 

Edited by Karnage84

40 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Yes, I am sure he does.  I doubt he uses it to send film to NFL scouts.

Nope. The only way that they get it is by being local. All those other scouts across country don't have access to the film either 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Nope. The only way that they get it is by being local. All those other scouts across country don't have access to the film either 

Regional scouts who are periodically present at the schools get access to better film and better information.  They work in an environment where being able to communicate with folks in a constructive and positive manner is an essential part of their job.  Based on your posts in the forum I can understand how that may not be relatable for you.

9 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Regional scouts who are periodically present at the schools get access to better film and better information.  They work in an environment where being able to communicate with folks in a constructive and positive manner is an essential part of their job.  Based on your posts in the forum I can understand how that may not be relatable for you.

You do know teams have “regional scouts” in more than one region. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Darius Robinson and Marshawn Kneeland have been linked to the Lions.  Darius Robinson might go before 29 but Kneeland should be there at 29.  He might not last long in the 2nd round though.  If Cooper DeJean slides to 24 or so I could see the Lions making a move to get him.  He just turned 21 and has tremendous physical tools to go along with some pretty good film.  Like a lot of people, I was concerned about him having some "stiffness" to his game.  However, the more I think about it the more I get the feeling that some of the "stiffness" in his play is related to his track training and will lessen as he focuses on football.  

I am a big fan of Darius Robinson but I'm unsure and quite doubtful that he goes before #29. I think he's a fit for us in a big way but I don't know how much 'more' he offers over someone like Cominsky at pick #29. I think he's a relatively safe pick as I believe he has a high floor but I don't know if he's got the juice to really be a major difference maker on that defensive front. 

Because I'm a lunatic, I bought a month's subscription to NFL Gamepass and I'm charting out our defensive line alignments. I'm just trying to get a deeper understanding of how the Lions are using John Cominsky, Josh Paschal along with the Okwara's and Harris. In what combinations, in what scenarios/situations are they being utilized, etc. I've used PFF to get position breakdowns and snap counts. I've watched most of the games in real time but I hadn't really focused on a player or a position group in such a way. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

So you are saying schools withhold film from non regional scouts? Making it harder for their players to get drafted higher? Making it harder to use draft success as a positive recruitment tool? Man bold strategy Cotton for those schools only allowing certain staffs that elite film. 

nice subtle yet not subtle attack. I do just fine at work and have many interactions per day.  thanks for the concern 

Edited by detfan782004

48 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

So you are saying schools withhold film from non regional scouts? Making it harder for their players to get drafted higher? Making it harder to use draft success as a positive recruitment tool? Man bold strategy Cotton for those schools only allowing certain staffs that elite film. 

nice subtle yet not subtle attack. I do just fine at work and have many interactions per day.  thanks for the concern 

Schools will give better, more in-depth information to people they know and with whom they have a good working relationship.  If they don't know a scout or maybe the scout is a bit of a dirtbag, they aren't going to give them the same level of support.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I am a big fan of Darius Robinson but I'm unsure and quite doubtful that he goes before #29. I think he's a fit for us in a big way but I don't know how much 'more' he offers over someone like Cominsky at pick #29. I think he's a relatively safe pick as I believe he has a high floor but I don't know if he's got the juice to really be a major difference maker on that defensive front. 

Because I'm a lunatic, I bought a month's subscription to NFL Gamepass and I'm charting out our defensive line alignments. I'm just trying to get a deeper understanding of how the Lions are using John Cominsky, Josh Paschal along with the Okwara's and Harris. In what combinations, in what scenarios/situations are they being utilized, etc. I've used PFF to get position breakdowns and snap counts. I've watched most of the games in real time but I hadn't really focused on a player or a position group in such a way. 

He would be a solid pick at 29 and would probably push Josh Pascal out of the starting role early in his rookie year.  Cominsky could be pushed down to the point where he is offered up in a trade.  

With the conversation around the local scouts, etc. 

EXECUTIVE

• Brad Holmes - GM
  • Ray Agnew - Assistant GM
  • John Dorsey - Senior Personnel Executive
  • Chris Spielman - Special Assistant to President/CEO & Chairperson

SCOUTING ADVANCEMENT/PROCESSES

• Mike Martin - Director of Scouting Advancement (works with college and pro personnel groups to enhance the scouting and roster-building processes)

COLLEGE SCOUTING

• Brian Hudspeth - Director of College Scouting (Covered Southwest and Southeast with Tampa; national scout covering the south; cross-checked mid-Atlantic
  • Dave Uyrus - Regional Scout
  • Mark Olson - Regional Scout
  • Cary Conklin - Area Scout (from the northwest)
  • Eloy Ledesma - Area Scout (Covered midwest from 2017-2020); West Coast Regional Director for NFL High School Player Development program
  • Jordan Martin - Area Scout > Northeast region
  • Patrick Mularkey - Area Scout >Southwest area
  • Scott Sika - Area Scout
  • Steve Neal - Area Scout (References to attending Western Michigan practices; WMU alum)
  • Dakota Duncan - BLESTO Scout (Scouting next years draft class) > Colleges in the midwest
  • Joe Harvey - Personnel Assistant, College

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMEr6JP_vYM

This is Lions scout, Scott Sika, on a conference call with Ohio State Sports Management students. He is discussing his work as a scout

SKILLS

1) Relationships: "Relationships are huge. That is the number one thing. We go into these schools, we're like investigators in a way. You're not just trying to figure out how the player is, how they learn, their background, if you can get medical. You just have to learn about the player 

2) Communication: You're travelling to different schools everyday

3) Trust: If they trust you and you build a relationship with them, that will help you get more information than the basic stuff they might give people

So what I gather from this is that the parties involved in this discussion are equally right and equally wrong. 

1) Film: Everyone is going to get access to film

2) Off-field: This is where the school visits seem to hold value