2024 MOCK DRAFTS

Karnage84

14 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm trying something a bit different with this one based on a few ideas floating around and things I'm hearing. All I can hear in my head is Michael Scott's voice saying "you're gonna hate it"... but here we go.

Pick #29 - Johnny Newton, IDL, Illinois: Newton was listed in the 290's while he was with the Illini but weighed in at 304 at the combine. I've been watching a lot of Lions coaches film trying to determine what the team should be doing about John Cominsky and whether adding someone like Darius Robinson makes sense here. The Lions use Paschal and Cominsky as interchangeable parts while also utilizing them together at 4i on passing downs. The Lions aren't using these guys 'on the edge' in the same fashion some in the media might expect.  So many of Cominsky's snaps come in at 4i or 5T and Newton can absolutely handle that assignment. He can even play in combination with Cominsky and Paschal as he's instantly going to be replacing another DL- Levi Onwuzurike. I suspect that the Lions will get something done but this pick is also Alim contract insurance along with Alim/Reader injury protection. 

Pick #61 - Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington: The RT for the Huskies. He's getting a lot of buzz and moving up draft boards. He could use some time to develop and may even need to slide inside to OG. He adds depth to the position and gives us flexibility for whenever Taylor Decker does retire (or if he's injured). 

Trade pick #73 and #249 for pick #86 and #127

Pick #86 - Javon Bullard, S, Georgia: Bullard is another player with a lot of buzz around him. He does offer positional flexibility but is best utilized in the slot (SCB or SS). This will allow the Lions to mix things up with coverage and let Brian Branch be more of a rover and taking advantage of matchups. Bullard does have some ball skills but he's also a hard hitting, tone setter. 

Pick #127 - Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon: Jackson is probably a bit on the bigger side and is still developing as a CB. With all of the other additions to the secondary, he's not going to be forced into a key role and can develop. 

Pick #164 - Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan: Zinter is coming off of injury but should be a fit for what the Lions want in the OL. He is compared to Graham Glasgow and that's exactly who he is going to learn from. He probably goes higher if not for the injury. 

Pick #201 - Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa: The Lions have met with him, he offers something that Newton doesn't (size) and adds more depth to the interior defensive line. Brodric Martin is a developing player and there's not a lot of depth in the group as a whole. 

Pick #205 - Anthony Gould, WR, Oregon State: I have my own personal interest in the Lions adding a WR. Gould is the opposite of a player I would normally be looking to add but he also makes quite a bit of sense. Instead of the Josh Reynolds replacement (which DPJ and Tre'Quan Smith could be the answer to), he's the future Kalif Raymond replacement. Raymond has been in trade rumours as of late. If he is a post-June 1st trade, the Lions would be on the hook for $1.5M in dead cap and open up $1.7 in cap savings. Even if he's not traded, Raymond's nearly $6.5M cap hit in 2025 means that the Lions should be looking to find his replacement soon. Gould ran a sub 4.40 (4.39) offering speed and explosiveness. He is also a great returner which adds extra value thanks to the rule changes. 

I do like this although I did not read up on Kyhree either and agree he likely wouldn't be taken by us.  There are a few CBs in that range I like though with Elijah Jones, Dwight McGlothern, Cam Hart, and Kamal Hadden.  Similarly with Rosengarten I don't love the player but love the position and if they think he is the best available I can see why.  I still like production more than tools though and prefer a few other guys in that range.  

Gould is someone I have ignored too but you make a great point on him being the new Raymond.  I think our staff likes Raymond but agree we could use an upgrade or at minimum a cheaper option that can provide similar outputs.  However Raymond was one of the most efficient WRs on routes ran this year and I have a feeling he will be kept at least for this year.  

I do like Newton in the first if they plan to use him in place of Cominsky.  I think Levi has a chance to stay on the roster this year if he is healthy this offseason since he had a couple solid games in the playoffs so I think it would be more likely the end of Cominsky here than Levi.  I also have been looking at Braden Fiske in this role given he has more elite RAS of 9.92 to go with the production.  He is someone that could sneak up our board that isn't an expected target at 29.   

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I hadn't heard the character stuff about Khyree until recently. I'll have to take a closer look at that. 

He was suspended in the latter part of his last season at Alabama before entering the transfer portal.  I haven't really been able to find the details on what caused the drama.  He seemed to settled in nicely at Oregon though.  

Edited by Just Want A Title

I just did a mock on PFF and the following were available at pick 29: Jared Verse, Nate Wiggins, Kool-Aid McKinstry, Jackson Powers-Johnson, and Darius Robinson.  Who would you take in that situation?  And its not out of the realm like last year when Brian Branch dropped to the mid second or Myles Murphy to 28th or Joey Porter to 32 after being consensus top 15 players. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I just did a mock on PFF and the following were available at pick 29: Jared Verse, Nate Wiggins, Kool-Aid McKinstry, Jackson Powers-Johnson, and Darius Robinson.  Who would you take in that situation?  And its not out of the realm like last year when Brian Branch dropped to the mid second or Myles Murphy to 28th or Joey Porter to 32 after being consensus top 15 players. 

Trade down and still get one of them later 

• Like 1

Verse by a country mile. 
Verse and Arnold are really the 2 guys I’m looking at that I’d be good with paying a premium to move up for. 

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

He was suspended in the latter part of his last season at Alabama before entering the transfer portal.  I haven't really been able to find the details on what caused the drama.  He seemed to settled in nicely at Oregon though.  

unless I was misinformed Saban kicked him off the team completely

Edited by BigC421/

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

Verse by a country mile. 
Verse and Arnold are really the 2 guys I’m looking at that I’d be good with paying a premium to move up for. 

unless I was misinformed Saban kicked him off the team completely

I don't know much about the circumstances.  However, Nick Saban isn't for everyone.  Or maybe he was immature and needed to grow up.  He seemed to settle in at Oregon fairly well.  I am sure teams were asking him about this in his interviews.  I haven't heard anything bad about his behavior at Oregon.  I am sure scouts have been talking to just about everyone they can find at Oregon to get a better handle on where he is at with respect to behavior, character, ect

25 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Verse by a country mile. 

I went with Verse and agree he is the best but not by leaps and bounds.  I think Kool-Aid is better than Wiggins so it would be between Verse, Kool-Aid, and JPJ.  I wouldn't be mad at any of them but also as @detfan782004 suggested, moving down 4 spots and adding a 3rd or 4th rd pick would be great and still get one of them.  

• Like 1

I went with Verse and agree he is the best but not by leaps and bounds.  I think Kool-Aid is better than Wiggins so it would be between Verse, Kool-Aid, and JPJ.  I wouldn't be mad at any of them but also as @detfan782004 suggested, moving down 4 spots and adding a 3rd or 4th rd pick would be great and still get one of them.  

I put a trade-down with the commanders in my final mock.  Believe it or not former Lion Cornelius Lucus is listed at the #1LT.  They have the draft capital to pull it off and they need a LT in the worst way.  They will send their brand new QB to IR in a hurry if they don't get a LT to help protect him.

The early 2nd round is a good spot but dropping too far risks diminishing returns.

Edited by Just Want A Title

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Of those, I like Kool-Aid the most. I would be good with Verse, Robinson, JPJ in that order. I’m not a fan of Wiggins game. 

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would have to go with Darius Robinson.  Jared verse comes in a very close second.  I think Darius Robinson completes the starting D-Line and would give the Lions a D-Line that would wear down opposing O-Lines in the 4th quarter.

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If those are my options then I would have to lean towards Verse. He'd be that true 4-3 Edge opposite of Aiden. I think it'd mean we would have to change up our scheme a little bit. Would it be subtraction by addition as we'd likely have to move Aidan to the SDE role since he has about 15 lbs on Verse. Would that hurt his production without a significant return? It's hard to say. It could mean a shift towards a 3-4 base but I don't know if we have the bodies on the Defensive Line for that either. Still, he's a really good player and we could find a way to make it work. 

I still think Robinson is the most natural fit but there are some lesser guys that offer some similar things like Ruke and Dorlus. 

• Like 1

These simulators get me geeked up over possibilities. Seems too good to be true at time. No trades

OT- Fautana- Wash

DL- Fiske- FSU

IOL- Beebe- K state 

S- Oladapo- Oregon St 

CB- King- PSU

Edge- Jackson- wash St 

WR- C Johnson- Michigan 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If those are my options then I would have to lean towards Verse. He'd be that true 4-3 Edge opposite of Aiden. I think it'd mean we would have to change up our scheme a little bit. Would it be subtraction by addition as we'd likely have to move Aidan to the SDE role since he has about 15 lbs on Verse. Would that hurt his production without a significant return? It's hard to say. It could mean a shift towards a 3-4 base but I don't know if we have the bodies on the Defensive Line for that either. Still, he's a really good player and we could find a way to make it work. 

I still think Robinson is the most natural fit but there are some lesser guys that offer some similar things like Ruke and Dorlus. 

I don’t think we’d need to change anything Verse plays with great power.  Your acting like we play 3 DT’s and a rush backer.  They drafted Pascal with the hope he’d start at sde. Romeo Okwara was resigned with the hope of starting there at one point before injury. Yes they’d love a Cam Jordan but people are acting like we’d have to change everything to roll out 2 edge rushers.  

29 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

I don’t think we’d need to change anything Verse plays with great power.  Your acting like we play 3 DT’s and a rush backer.  They drafted Pascal with the hope he’d start at sde. Romeo Okwara was resigned with the hope of starting there at one point before injury. Yes they’d love a Cam Jordan but people are acting like we’d have to change everything to roll out 2 edge rushers.  

Cominsky is 280+. Paschal is 270+. 

When I've reviewed the coaches film (all 22, shows the same plays from side and on the LOS) and charted the defensive alignments, they're regularly playing with Hutch in basically a wide 9 on the weak side,  two DTs and Cominsky in a 4i. Not quite 3 DTs but in the wheelhouse. Coming out of New Orleans, it wouldn't surprise me if Cam Jordan is exactly the kind of player they want in that role. John Cominsky at his peak was the straw that stirred the drink. He's going to be 30 next year and a pricier option. Finding a guy that is an upgrade who is younger and cheaper makes a ton of sense. 

If Verse was 265, you'd probably be right. He's 13 lbs lighter than Aidan and over 30 lbs lighter than Cominsky. That's a big difference.