2024 MOCK DRAFTS

Karnage84

42 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I remember Paschal as being mostly viewed as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Top 3 draft profiles on google pretty much agree. 

I remember 3rd-4th, espn, walterfootball, bleacher report, etc all back that up. I didn’t see him listed mid second rd anywhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

I remember Paschal as being mostly viewed as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Top 3 draft profiles on google pretty much agree. 

The consensus big board had Paschal at pick #54. He was taken at pick #46. That's only 8 spots. 

4 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Exactly. This whole local thing is a bit much 

Do you think scouts do their jobs by going to online portals and downloading videos?  Regional scouts for the Lions and every other NFL team show up at campuses and build relationships with the college coaching staffs.  They get to know the strength and conditioning coaches.  They even talk to other folks in the athletic department.  It may be 2024 but the foundation of all scouting is local.

Just a couple years back it was broken down across 5 teams

Avg scout count was touch over 20 total scouts.

Local area scouts a touch over 5. 15 other personnel on avg to scout. Local isn't state either it's regional 

7 of those are directly dealing with analytics, film etc. 

More effort and energy is put into film study and analytics compared to local scouting. The analytics crew still has to break down film too because the local scouts aren't doing that per say 

Edited by detfan782004

36 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Brodric Martin arguably could be considered a big reach. Consensus board had him at 235 with a peak of 158. He was taken at pick 96. 

He was selected at 96.  In the days after the draft it came out that a number of teams were looking at him after that point in the 3rd round and early in the 4th round.  He actually though the Giants were going to take him before 96.  The Chiefs had legit interest in him in that range as well.  Steelersdepot had him as a 4th round pick.

2023 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Western Kentucky DL Brodric Martin - Steelers Depot

Brodric Martin thought the Giants were going to draft him - Yahoo Sports

Edited by Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

He was selected at 96.  In the days after the draft it came out that a number of teams were looking at him after that point in the 3rd round and early in the 4th round.  He actually though the Giants were going to take him before 96.  The Chiefs had legit interest in him in that range as well.  Steelersdepot had him as a 4th round pick.

2023 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Western Kentucky DL Brodric Martin - Steelers Depot

Brodric Martin thought the Giants were going to draft him - Yahoo Sports

I'm only pointing out how Martin was being projected based on a multitude of mock drafts. Obviously teams have their own boards and we heard that about [Martin] after last year. 

However, Paschal had been projected as a 2nd rounder on the consensus boards. I was personally surprised by his selection but [Paschal] wasn't as much of a reach as some are presenting. 

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Do you think scouts do their jobs by going to online portals and downloading videos?  Regional scouts for the Lions and every other NFL team show up at campuses and build relationships with the college coaching staffs.  They get to know the strength and conditioning coaches.  They even talk to other folks in the athletic department.  It may be 2024 but the foundation of all scouting is local.

College programs send tape (coaches game tape + practice film) to NFL teams for evaluation. Having a good relationship with the NFL is a positive for these programs. If you are getting players drafted you're going to attract better talent. Better talent should lead to more wins, more wins lead to more money and/or other opportunities for coaches. It's in the best interest of the college teams to cooperate. 

The local connections are arguably more important for off-field matters. 

8 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Stiggers in the 3rd is a multiple round reach but then again he did draft Paschal in the second multiple rounds higher than expected. 

Stiggers is a 5-6th round player. He could turn out to be a dude but he really has 1 year of organized football outside of High School. The CFL is made up of guys who are playing at a 6th, 7th and/or UDFA/practice squad level. He's basically played pre-season football for 18 games. He has a big learning curve even after playing professionally last year. You can't match  him up against the likes of Justin Jefferson or Ja'marr Chase and expect him to be successful on a weekly basis. 

Kindle Vildor was a 5th round pick in 2020 and he struggled in a starting role. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm only pointing out how Martin was being projected based on a multitude of mock drafts. Obviously teams have their own boards and we heard that about [Martin] after last year. 

However, Paschal had been projected as a 2nd rounder on the consensus boards. I was personally surprised by his selection but [Paschal] wasn't as much of a reach as some are presenting. 

With Brodric Martin, we have to distinguish the difference between a draft reach and a project player.  Terron Armstead was a small school OT with awesome measurables but wasn't considered a reach when he was taken at 75 but was considered a bit of a project.  It took him a couple of seasons to really settle in but he eventually became a multiple Pro Bowl LT.  

With Brodric Martin, the Lions drafted a small school DT who had verified measurables of 6'4.5", 337 Lbs and 34.375" arm length.  He is a naturally large player who isn't carrying a lot of bad weight.  That lets him move much better than you would normally expect from someone that big.  He is almost exactly the same size as Dexter Lawrence and I suspect the Lions saw a high enough ceiling to make them comfortable with taking at 96 rather than sometime in the 4th round.  Personally, I think if we had a better D-Line coach last year, we might have seen more from him as a rookie.  His height and length might have been useful against opposing FG kickers and maybe even punters.

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Stiggers is a 5-6th round player. He could turn out to be a dude but he really has 1 year of organized football outside of High School. The CFL is made up of guys who are playing at a 6th, 7th and/or UDFA/practice squad level. He's basically played pre-season football for 18 games. He has a big learning curve even after playing professionally last year. You can't match  him up against the likes of Justin Jefferson or Ja'marr Chase and expect him to be successful on a weekly basis. 

Kindle Vildor was a 5th round pick in 2020 and he struggled in a starting role. 

Quan'tTez Stiggers will find a home in the slot a lot faster than people think.  He may have come from the CFL but he out-performed a lot of players with more experience and more physical development.  He went to the Shrine Bowl and had one of the best weeks of any player where they asked him to practice man-coverage after playing mostly zone in the CFL.  Most players aren't going to be able to do that.  I think what gives him an edge is his footbal IQ and recognition skills.  Even in this year's draft, a late 3rd or early/mid-4th round selection with his combination of physical traits and ball skills is reasonable.  

I think your reference with Ja"marr Chase and Justin Jefferson is kind of unrealistic.  Only a Patrick Surtain II or Sauce Gardener level CB would be able to hand with them as rookies.  Heck a lot veteran CBs can't cover them.  It is reasonable to expect him to come in and handle zone coverage assignments and man coverage on WR#3 and maybe even WR#2 is some situations.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 3RD OVERALL RANK: #84 POSITION RANK: #20 <— draft buzz

Draft Projection Round 3 NFL Comparison Emmanuel Ogbah <—- nfl.com

In the 2022 NFL Draft, Paschal has a shot at being a second-day pick. If he slips out of the third round, he should go in the early rounds of Day 3. <—— Walter football

With the testing numbers he’ll put up, as well as a Senior Bowl appearance, Day 2 is very much in play. <—-PFN, potential to move into a day 2 pick. 

Current Player Value/Potential Player Value &nbsp;4th Round <—- SI

I’d post more but I’m at work right now. Paschal was seen as someone who could move into a day 2 pick, he was slated as a 3rd-4th round pick during the draft process by most accounts.