Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

Love Kurt's breakdowns and I just watched most of his two parter on Bo that you mentioned. He constantly was mentioning those things you listed and ya I got a little Rodgers from him as well without as big of an arm. It makes me wonder if that's just how he throws and will it really change much?

I think we can teach him certain things like getting further from the LOS for long throw plays so his line can create a pocket to step up into if needed. I also absolutely love and its refreshing to see a guy who is always going through progressions and doesn't make many bad decisions or risky ones with the football; also something Kurt made constant mention of (probably what ppl reference w Bo's experience). It's something we haven't had here since probably manning.

Ultimately these qualities make me feel like he actually has potential to "raise all boats" as our O-Line will be more consistent cause they know what to expect, and RBs and TEs can have a chance to shine (Kurt pointed this out too in terms of throwing it in places they can make plays).

WRs might suffer though because of the foot/power stuff you mentioned and Kurt even talks about this creating accuracy issues or not being able to put it in longer places where the WR can stay in stride and break tackles/juke. This could leave things like slants or jet sweeps though I guess.

Sounds like a Sean Payton offense to me

Yeah the fundamental stuff doesn’t really bother me, that all can be coached and will only make Nix better when he corrects those things. 

My 2 biggest concerns are his physical talent and what guy are we getting, the Auburn Nix or the Oregon Nix.

I get physical talent isn’t the end all be all and more goes into the position than that, which is what I think @lomaxgrUK and @broncosfan_101 are pointing out.  I still think it’s more than fair to question selecting a player in the top 15 who to me is closer physically to Andy Dalton than to Derek Carr.  

I also think it’s fair to be concerned with his difference in play from Auburn to Oregon.  In 3 years at Auburn he completed 60% of his passes for a combined 39 TDs with an average of 7 yards per attempt.  In 2 years at Oregon he completed 75% of his passes for a combined 74 TDs and 10.5 yards per attempt.  We all know that the SEC is the closest thing you’ll find in college football to NFL football and Oregon has always been known for being a spread and high scoring offense.  

I like Nix, seems like a good guy, high character, tough competitor, but there’s definitely some red flags that are concerning.

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

Fence sitting and recognizing that you don’t have enough information to form a strong opinion are two different things. It’s no secret that QBs bust all of the time, might be because figuring out whether a QB skill set transfers to the NFL is incredibly nuanced/we don’t know. 

So put me in the “we don’t know camp”. Seems like the most realistic place to be. 

I'm like this with most draft picks because the ones I've most been excited for hardly ever work out and vice/versa. I remember not liking the PS2 and Von Miller picks at the time. I simply don't know. Hell, teams miss all the time and they have infinitely more info than the average fan.

27 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yeah the fundamental stuff doesn’t really bother me, that all can be coached and will only make Nix better when he corrects those things. 

My 2 biggest concerns are his physical talent and what guy are we getting, the Auburn Nix or the Oregon Nix.

I get physical talent isn’t the end all be all and more goes into the position than that, which is what I think @lomaxgrUK and @broncosfan_101 are pointing out.  I still think it’s more than fair to question selecting a player in the top 15 who to me is closer physically to Andy Dalton than to Derek Carr.  

I also think it’s fair to be concerned with his difference in play from Auburn to Oregon.  In 3 years at Auburn he completed 60% of his passes for a combined 39 TDs with an average of 7 yards per attempt.  In 2 years at Oregon he completed 75% of his passes for a combined 74 TDs and 10.5 yards per attempt.  We all know that the SEC is the closest thing you’ll find in college football to NFL football and Oregon has always been known for being a spread and high scoring offense.  

I like Nix, seems like a good guy, high character, tough competitor, but there’s definitely some red flags that are concerning.

And that's what I've been saying. I don't even know if they're red flags so much as questions that need to be answered. Can Nix adapt the a highly complex NFL offense and do it against NFL defenses. Russ, who has 10 years of NFL experience and a ring to go with it, couldn't run Sean's offense. My point all along has been that running the Oregon offense doesn't point to success at the pro level, citing things completion percentage or YPA is an apples to oranges metric. 

Truthfully, I think all of us are really close to being on the same page as regards Nix - there is a lot there to like, we need to trust Sean's evaluation but there are some reasons to have a measured approach. My biggest beefs really are not with comments being made here but what I've been reading online and on social and what I've heard on the radio where everyone is acting like we just landed Drew Brees and our QB problems are 100% solved for the next decade. I'm not ready to go that far. And I don't think of you all here are either. 

• Like 1

With Bo I'm just excited to think about how this offense can improve and I just get chills. I think it can be more efficient, better in the red zone, better on 3rd down, better time of possession.  You add all that up and at the very least it will help the D from getting exposed.