Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

I'm torn at 12 I think Verse has a great skillet to compliment our pass rushers, I think Latu us the most pro ready pass rusher in this draft but the neck injury scares me, I also really like Newton.

Eagles are looking to trade up for a corner if we trade back to 22 what are the chances one of those players falls?

Trade down is my strong preference. Going to throw these back in here as potential teams with extra draft capital (ordered by draft position):

Jacksonville has two fourths:

Possible value?  1.12 + 3.76  for  1.17 + 2.48 + 4.116

Cincinnati has two thirds:

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.18 + 3.80 + 3.97

LA Rams have two thirds (although no 4ths but have a couple in the 5th and later too).

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.19 + 2.52 

Pittsburg has an additional 3rd this year so might be willing to part with some picks to trade up for a QB or WR.

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.20 + 2.51 

Houston still has additional picks in lower rounds (two 4ths and 7ths) that they could be willing to trade up using the cleveland pick too.

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.23 + 2.59 + future 2nd? They'd probably have to love someone to do that. 

Green Bay has two 2nds and two 3rds.

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.25 + 2.41 would work (they also have 2.58 but would need to include more with that imo)

Tampa Bay has two thirds but it would take a pretty big haul, likely including next year picks to make it work.

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.26 + 2.57 + 2025 2nd

Arizona might be another. In theory they have their QB and might be looking to tool up. They have 2 firsts (Houston's) and 3 thirds. 

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.28 + 2.36 

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Trade down is my strong preference. Going to throw these back in here as potential teams with extra draft capital (ordered by draft position):

Jacksonville has two fourths:

Possible value?  1.12 + 3.76  for  1.17 + 2.48 + 4.116

Cincinnati has two thirds:

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.18 + 3.80 + 3.97

LA Rams have two thirds (although no 4ths but have a couple in the 5th and later too).

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.19 + 2.52 

Pittsburg has an additional 3rd this year so might be willing to part with some picks to trade up for a QB or WR.

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.20 + 2.51 

Houston still has additional picks in lower rounds (two 4ths and 7ths) that they could be willing to trade up using the cleveland pick too.

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.23 + 2.59 + future 2nd? They'd probably have to love someone to do that. 

Green Bay has two 2nds and two 3rds.

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.25 + 2.41 would work (they also have 2.58 but would need to include more with that imo)

Tampa Bay has two thirds but it would take a pretty big haul, likely including next year picks to make it work.

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.26 + 2.57 + 2025 2nd

Arizona might be another. In theory they have their QB and might be looking to tool up. They have 2 firsts (Houston's) and 3 thirds. 

Possible value? 1.12 for 1.28 + 2.36 

I’m going to be disappointed if we don’t get this type of value when we move down

• Like 1

Is it just me, or does the OL class kinda suck outside the top 20 picks? Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Fautanu, Mims, and Latham are all very cool at the top, but the middle class is in short supply. Barton, Guyton, JPJ, Frazier, Morgan, Beebe looks like a big pile of meh. As a team that isn’t in need of an immediate starter, it makes me think, ‘I wonder if we’re a great target for teams in the late teens or early 20’s looking to grab one of the last few elite guys.’

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Is it just me, or does the OL class kinda suck outside the top 20 picks? Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Fautanu, Mims, and Latham are all very cool at the top, but the middle class is in short supply. Barton, Guyton, JPJ, Frazier, Morgan, Beebe looks like a big pile of meh. As a team that isn’t in need of an immediate starter, it makes me think, ‘I wonder if we’re a great target for teams in the late teens or early 20’s looking to grab one of the last few elite guys.’

I think contenders who want an OT (or CB) are eying us at #12 with hungry eyes. 

Rumors are flying and it’s close enough to draft time we might begin to put some stock in them. Lammey was on The Fan dismissing the chances we’ll move down, saying all that’s coming from George who does want to trade down but it’s up to Sean and he wants to trade up because he missed out on Mahomes a few years ago. I guess the conclusion is the Maye/McCarthy is the next Mahomes and who cares if we have a decrepit roster if we have a potential GOAT at QB because, you know, the Chiefs haven’t had any talent around Mahomes the last 6 years. 

Allbright released his mock and has us moving down, as have several others I’ve seen. However, that is what he (Allbright) wants us to do. A lot of guys don’t like projecting trades so the popular choice is Nix at 12.

I think almost all of us are on the same page - trade down, acquire picks, build the roster. Even if we trade down, it doesn’t mean we still can’t grab Nix, and there is some stuff there to like with him. 

I don’t know what else to say that me, or any of us, haven’t said for months. If they trade 2 or 3 premium future picks or PS2 to get a QB, it’ll be a roll of the dice that either gets us an answer or lands us back here in 3 years with a new HC and FO. So if that’s what they do, they better damn well get the right QB and get lucky with day 2 and 3 picks the next few years. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think contenders who want an OT (or CB) are eying us at #12 with hungry eyes. 

Rumors are flying and it’s close enough to draft time we might begin to put some stock in them. Lammey was on The Fan dismissing the chances we’ll move down, saying all that’s coming from George who does want to trade down but it’s up to Sean and he wants to trade up because he missed out on Mahomes a few years ago. I guess the conclusion is the Maye/McCarthy is the next Mahomes and who cares if we have a decrepit roster if we have a potential GOAT at QB because, you know, the Chiefs haven’t had any talent around Mahomes the last 6 years. 

Allbright released his mock and has us moving down, as have several others I’ve seen. However, that is what he (Allbright) wants us to do. A lot of guys don’t like projecting trades so the popular choice is Nix at 12.

I think almost all of us are on the same page - trade down, acquire picks, build the roster. Even if we trade down, it doesn’t mean we still can’t grab Nix, and there is some stuff there to like with him. 

I don’t know what else to say that me, or any of us, haven’t said for months. If they trade 2 or 3 premium future picks or PS2 to get a QB, it’ll be a roll of the dice that either gets us an answer or lands us back here in 3 years with a new HC and FO. So if that’s what they do, they better damn well get the right QB and get lucky with day 2 and 3 picks the next few years. 

Maybe I see the new ownership a little different than most. In that, I see them as cold, calculated, and forward thinking. That’s the mentality that’s needed to succeed in the environment they have. I’m as positive as I can be, that they have put their situation into the same context you have here. Just my opinion, but I expect a smart, conservative approach, at least this year. Once they feel things are stabilized, they’ll take a few chances. I’d be shocked if they trade up. It just seems way too risky for the way I feel they think in general. I’ll be the first to eat crow if they do something shocking.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, copeland said:

Maybe I see the new ownership a little different than most. In that, I see them as cold, calculated, and forward thinking. That’s the mentality that’s needed to succeed in the environment they have. I’m as positive as I can be, that they have put their situation into the same context you have here. Just my opinion, but I expect a smart, conservative approach, at least this year. Once they feel things are stabilized, they’ll take a few chances. I’d be shocked if they trade up. It just seems way too risky for the way I feel they think in general. I’ll be the first to eat crow if they do something shocking.

I agree - billionaires by their nature are extremely conservative people - their biggest fear is losing what they have.

I suspect all of this would have been discussed with Payton before he was hired - because Payton didn't want Wilson - so a re-building plan would have been put in place from the off. I do think the mid-season win streak could have disrupted the plans somewhat and possibly pushed the plan for drafting a QB off for a year (unless they can drop 7/8 places and pick Nix - if Payton thinks he can get the job done).

Now Payton could say to the Walmarts - you hired me so trust me - and put together a blockbuster to move up - but I suspect that any trade up would have to include PS2 so that you don't have to mortgage all the picks from 3 drafts to get the QB. If they go for it this year then Payton's future (and reputation and legacy) will be determined by that decision - and that is a massive issue for any HC who wants to go down in the history books.