Ian Cunningham signs extension

malagabears

I was really thinking about Cunningham following the media availability…I have a strong suspicion Poles moves a day two pick from next years draft to gain some more picks in this and the reason I am confident on it isn’t that we have a lot of picks next year already but that I think Poles plays the odds that if we are a winning team this season then Cunningham is a GM somewhere next and we get the 2x 3rds for him…

Clearly a really smart important part of the front office…it’s good to get him locked down.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I was really thinking about Cunningham following the media availability…I have a strong suspicion Poles moves a day two pick from next years draft to gain some more picks in this and the reason I am confident on it isn’t that we have a lot of picks next year already but that I think Poles plays the odds that if we are a winning team this season then Cunningham is a GM somewhere next and we get the 2x 3rds for him…

Clearly a really smart important part of the front office…it’s good to get him locked down.

I can easily see Poles going heavy this Draft on blue chip OL (@9 and using next year Draft capital to get a 2nd OL stUd) 

15 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

That would be at least one reason for assuring he's under contract but we can see that he and Poles have also made a good team.

23 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

It’s a 3rd in consecutive drafts (‘25 and ‘26 if Cunningham is hired elsewhere next year as GM), not two 3rds in the same draft, right?

Either way, I love the thought process. I’m open to using next year’s high picks to jump up if a guy we love slides too. That includes trading our 2025 1st in the right scenario. I don’t want to move either of our 2025 2s if we move next year’s 1. The multiple 2s is the main reason why I’d be open to moving the 1. I think that CAR pick is gonna be a top 40 pick, and am optimistic that our own 1 will be in the 20s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s a 3rd in consecutive drafts (‘25 and ‘26 if Cunningham is hired elsewhere next year as GM), not two 3rds in the same draft, right?

Either way, I love the thought process. I’m open to using next year’s high picks to jump up if a guy we love slides too. That includes trading our 2025 1st in the right scenario. I don’t want to move either of our 2025 2s if we move next year’s 1. The multiple 2s is the main reason why I’d be open to moving the 1. I think that CAR pick is gonna be a top 40 pick, and am optimistic that our own 1 will be in the 20s. 

Yes it’s consecutive years afaik.

curious what the right scenario to move up with next years 1 would be.

10 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Yes it’s consecutive years afaik.

curious what the right scenario to move up with next years 1 would be.

For me? Could be a few things. If we don’t go WR or DL at 9 and a guy slides. Could be for a top interior OL too.

The most realistic way to make that happen would be for us to first trade down from 9 and add a 2 this year, then use that 2 and next year’s 1 to jump back up for a 3rd 1st rounder in the 29-32 range. Something like:

1-1 Williams

Trade 9 to JAX for 17 and 48 - JAX takes Odunze

17 WR Brian Thomas Jr. 

Trade 48 and our 2025 1 to BAL for 30

30 DT Johnny Newton

We’d still have 75 and 122 this year and both 2s (and possibly multiple 3s) next year. Effectively, we’re just using next year’s 1 on Newton this year in this scenario, at the cost of the difference between Odunze and BTJ (which I don’t think is a huge one).