Draft Predictions

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I disagree and according to a couple GM's they only have 15 players with first round grades.  I feel like when you get to the late teens/early 20s, the talent isn't significantly different between there and pick 60.  

I would say overall I think this is a pretty solid class but maybe not as good as last year.  If you go by position it makes it easier IMO.  QB, WR, OT and CB seem pretty deep.  Edge has a lot of solid players but none that are fighting for the top 5-7 picks IMO although one might go there.  Interior DL I think is weak as is RB, TE, LB and S.  

Last year I had 14 guys with first round grades, this year I have 23 guys graded as first round talents. I think last year was deeper in rounds 2-3 from the next 15-75 guys whereas this year it’s more saturated from 24-60 and then falls off. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Last year I had 14 guys with first round grades, this year I have 23 guys graded as first round talents. I think last year was deeper in rounds 2-3 from the next 15-75 guys whereas this year it’s more saturated from 24-60 and then falls off. 

Who are your 23 guys?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Who are your 23 guys?

My first rd graded guys (again my opinion based on film, not necessarily fits for the Lions)

No order:

QBs- Williams, Daniels, Mays, McCarthy

RBs- None

WRs- MHJr, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas

TE- Bowers

OL- Fashanu, Alt, Latham, Mims

IDL- Murphy, Newton

ED/EDGE- Turner, Latu, Verse, Robinson (C.)

LB- None

DB- Mitchell, Arnold, McKinstry, DeJean 

I have 2nd rd grades on JPJ, Guyton, Frazier, Barton, D. Robinson, Adonai Mitchell, etc that some fans have rated higher. I think they are good players and some will get drafted tonight, but there is a drop after my top guys. 

Edited by Louis Friend

18 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

My first rd graded guys (again my opinion based on film, not necessarily fits for the Lions)

No order:

QBs- Williams, Daniels, Mays, McCarthy

RBs- None

WRs- MHJr, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas

TE- Bowers

OL- Fashanu, Alt, Latham, Mims

IDL- Murphy, Newton

ED/EDGE- Turner, Latu, Verse, Robinson (C.)

LB- None

DB- Mitchell, Arnold, McKinstry, DeJean 

I have 2nd rd grades on JPJ, Guyton, Frazier, Barton, D. Robinson, Adonai Mitchell, etc that some fans have rated higher. I think they are good players and some will get drafted tonight, but there is a drop after my top guys. 

I would remove all of the QBs other than Caleb although Maye and Daniels are close.  If teams didn't need QB's, nobody would be talking about the rest as first round talents.  I also don't have Mims or Chop Robinson there.  I love Latu but with his injury history I would lean to not have him in that group as well.  DeJean is fringe for me.  I think there is a drop off after Mitchell, Arnold, Mckinstry.  The rest of those guys belong in a group without much difference between them.  

I think this year is going to have a fair amount of later round players that do well.  You may be right that up to 75 was stronger last year but I think from that point on there will be more production from this class, mainly smaller school guys who are overlooked.  

There are rumours of a Justin Herbert to Minnesota trade. This would leave Jim Harbaugh to take JJ McCarthy at #5. 

Minnesota Vikings receive

Justin Herbert

LA Chargers receive (my projection)

• Pick #11 (1250)
  • Pick #23 (760)
  • 2025 1st (580 = pick 33)
  • 2025 3rd (100 = pick 100)
  • 2026 2nd (265 = pick 65)

Total = 2955 pts (just short of Pick 1.01 by 45 pts)

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

There are rumours of a Justin Herbert to Minnesota trade. This would leave Jim Harbaugh to take JJ McCarthy at #5. 

Minnesota Vikings receive

Justin Herbert

LA Chargers receive (my projection)

• Pick #11 (1250)
  • Pick #23 (760)
  • 2025 1st (580 = pick 33)
  • 2025 3rd (100 = pick 100)
  • 2026 2nd (265 = pick 65)

Total = 2955 pts (just short of Pick 1.01 by 45 pts)

Would make no sense, he has the highest dead cap hit

21 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would remove all of the QBs other than Caleb although Maye and Daniels are close.  If teams didn't need QB's, nobody would be talking about the rest as first round talents.  I also don't have Mims or Chop Robinson there.  I love Latu but with his injury history I would lean to not have him in that group as well.  DeJean is fringe for me.  I think there is a drop off after Mitchell, Arnold, Mckinstry.  The rest of those guys belong in a group without much difference between them.  

I think this year is going to have a fair amount of later round players that do well.  You may be right that up to 75 was stronger last year but I think from that point on there will be more production from this class, mainly smaller school guys who are overlooked.  

I like a lot of late round guys (especially in the trenches), I just feel like there are tiers of players, and even though I think the top is a little better than last year, the next tier is much weaker than last year. In contrast I think 2022 had a lot more explosive talent in the first than last year or this year. But I also feel like a number of “big name prospects” from 2022 haven’t panned out yet. It’s hard to compare class to class this early. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Would make no sense, he has the highest dead cap hit

It'd be over $100M between dead cap and negative cap savings pre-June 1st. The contract could be restructured to minimize the impact. A post June 1st trade would have far fewer cap implications. 

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It'd be over $100M between dead cap and negative cap savings pre-June 1st. The contract could be restructured to minimize the impact. A post June 1st trade would have far fewer cap implications. 

I wonder if you can designate it a post June 1 transaction similar to how you can designate two players as post June 1 cuts prior to that date.