1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

Blake Cashman: “Yeah, J.J.'s 21 years old but a great young man. He’s a leader. He is eager to learn. A lot of young guys, sometimes they can come in, be a little timid or shy. But he’s walking round the locker room, big smile on his face, shaking hands, getting to know everybody."

“I didn’t know much about his game before, and I knew he was an outstanding quarterback, winning followed him at Michigan. But I didn’t realize how much heat he could put on the ball. He’s got a great long ball. And even those tight windows, which close fast at the next level — he can zip the ball past a linebacker or safety’s head and squeeze it in those tight windows. And that’s very promising to see.”

“He’s going to be a great player for a long time. I can’t wait to continue to see his growth — not only his development as a quarterback and the skills, but also become an even smarter player.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/blake-cashman-its-promising-to-see-how-j-j-mccarthy-can-zip-a-ball-into-tight-windows

• Like 5

The vast majority of the 2024 draft class has signed. The biggest cluster of unsigned picks falls in round one. Five players aren’t signed, they come from three teams.

Bears quarterback Caleb Williams (No. 1) and receiver Rome Odunze (No. 9) are not yet under contract. Ditto for Vikings quarterback J.J. McCarthy (No. 10) and edge rusher Dallas Turner (No. 17). Also unsigned is Bengals tackle Amarius Mims, the 18th pick in the draft.

All five will have fully-guaranteed four-year deals, with the dollar value slotted based on selection number. While the 2011 CBA dramatically limited the number of topics for haggling, there are still three main categories.

• 1. Signing bonus cash flow: How much of the signing bonus is paid up front? How much is deferred, and for how long? Players want the money ASAFP. Teams might try to push some of it out, by a year or longer.
  • 2. Voiding of guarantees: What will it take to let a team wipe out the remaining guarantees? There have been issues in the past about suspensions for certain on-field infractions opening the door to erasing the guaranteed money. Players want to limit the team’s ability to un-guarantee the guaranteed cash. Teams prefer the flexibility to get out from under a bad deal.
  • 3. Guarantee offsets: If the player is released with guaranteed money left, will earnings elsewhere reduce the money owed? The player prefers to double dip. The team wants to get credit for salary from a new NFL franchise.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/five-first-round-picks-remain-unsigned-including-caleb-williams

• Like 1

Former Minnesota GM Jeff Diamond, who works for the 33rd Team, predicted when every first-round QB taken in the 2024 NFL Draft would start. Diamond believes McCarthy will earn the starting job in Week 9 against the Indianapolis Colts.

Minnesota plays the Rams on Thursday Night Football in Week 8, which would give McCarthy 10 full days to get ready for the Colts. Plenty of people have thought McCarthy may start following the Vikings’ bye week in Week 7 against the Lions, but Week 9 is a possibility as well.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/07/04/former-vikings-gm-predicts-when-j-j-mccarthy-will-start/?

Jefferson said that the Vikings put McCarthy’s locker next to his and that he’s taken on the responsibility that comes with that placement.

Jefferson: “They want me to be that guy that J.J. can always talk to and ask questions. He’s definitely that type of kid. He definitely wants to ask questions. He wants to learn how to be a top quarterback. He wants to learn how to become a problem in this league.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/justin-jefferson-j-j-mccarthy-wants-to-learn-how-to-become-a-problem-in-the-nfl

• Like 2

Paul Allen via KFAN1003

“I would make it prohibitively favored in that it would be Sam Darnold starting, Nick Mullens as the backup, and then J.J. McCarthy as the 3rd QB. But this is an opportunity for McCarthy. Punchers chance would be too strong, but long-ish shot fashion to win the two job in training camp. And I don't necessarily know if it's going to happen, but I would make 3 QBs on the active roster prohibitively favored.”

Edited by vike daddy

As to quarterback J.J. McCarthy, a source with knowledge of the situation says that the Vikings haven’t engaged much when it comes to negotiating the contract.

One possible explanation is that the Vikings want to see what happens with the Caleb Williams contract before finalizing things with McCarthy, the tenth overall pick. If the unverified social-media chatter that McCarthy wants his full signing bonus right away is accurate, that would make sense. If Williams doesn’t get his full signing bonus right away as the first overall selection, it’s easier to tell McCarthy that, at most, he’ll get the same payment schedule that Williams received.

With the contracts for draft picks slotted as to value, there are three major issues for haggling: (1) signing bonus cash flow; (2) language to void remaining guarantees; (3) offset language as to the remaining guarantees.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-havent-engaged-much-with-j-j-mccarthy-on-rookie-deal

a few hours later...

Caleb Williams is officially under contract with the Bears. The Bears and Williams agreed to his four-year rookie contract today, the day that the Bears’ rookies are reporting to training camp.

It’s a four-year contract through the 2027 season, worth $39 million fully guaranteed. The Bears can also pick up his fifth-year option for the 2028 season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/caleb-williams-signs-rookie-contract-with-bears

Hockenson: “He’s been incredible. He’s grinding in the film room. He’s grinding in the classroom. He’s a baller on the field, obviously. But to have a guy, especially a rookie, come into a facility and to the league, you usually need to shut your mouth and go to work, and that’s exactly what he did. He’s earned the respect of a lot of guys in there.”

“Obviously, we have Sam Darnold, who’s a baller and plays the game at a really high level, so it’ll be interesting what happens with those two. I’m excited that J.J.’s on our team. Like I said, he’s a leader. He did that in Michigan, and I’m sure that will carry over to the league just as well.”

Josh Metellus:J.J.'s going to figure it out because he always does, and I think he’s going to be really good for the team. He brings good energy, and you can tell he’s a leader by nature, so I think he’ll be really good for the locker room.”

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/top_news/j-j-mccarthy-has-earned/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1