1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

Here's a fun quote from that article...

There are no framed jerseys adorning the walls. No football photos lining the entryway. There is a kitchen table and a living room and this cluttered screened-in deck. And that’s where Jim, who is in sales for a waste management company, is slouching comfortably like he’s drinking beers with his buddies.

He’s replaying the night that led to the Iowa State picture when the phone buzzes with a Twitter notification:

I show Jim my phone.

“What’s this?” He asks, leaning in to take a look. “Oh! OK.”

“Did you know this was happening?”

“Not at all. Great!”

“You … didn’t … even … know?”

“Had zero idea!”

A few minutes later, Megan slides open the door to the screened-in deck and says she’s going to run some errands.

“Did you see J signed?” Jim asks.

“Huh?” Megan replies.

“J signed his contract,” Jim says.

“Seriously?” Megan asks. “He doesn’t give us a heads up on anything!”

Jim laughs, then shrugs and says: “That’s how we are.”

15 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

This has been hashed out already. The assumption by many is that JJ may be shielded as the 3rd QB if he isn't ready to start Week 1, and that when he's ready to play, he'll be the #1. If JJ starts the season as the emergency/developmental QB, it's not necessarily an indicator that he's the 3rd most productive QB on the roster. It's not that simple.

But that won't fit with the preconceived notions that people who preferred other QBs have. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Posted that yesterday.   In fact, the quote at the top of the page here is directly from it.  All you had to do is go back one page to find the link. 😉

Right on. Clearly i didnt.

• Like 1

Dalton Risner on rookie J.J. McCarthy:

J.J., I mean, I see why they drafted the dude in the first round and at the pick that they did. Because he’s a good dude. He’s a good human being. He’s a stud. I love what they’re doing with him; they’re not just throwing him in the fire right away. I think they’re giving him time to develop. I’d put all my chips on that dude in a couple years, man.”

MinnesotaVikingsPro.com

• Like 3

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Dalton Risner on rookie J.J. McCarthy:

J.J., I mean, I see why they drafted the dude in the first round and at the pick that they did. Because he’s a good dude. He’s a good human being. He’s a stud. I love what they’re doing with him; they’re not just throwing him in the fire right away. I think they’re giving him time to develop. I’d put all my chips on that dude in a couple years, man.

MinnesotaVikingsPro.com

This is gonna be a big deal when we're dealing with 2025 free agents. If JJ flashes all-pro talent it's going to make it a lot easier to bring in some of the top level free agents

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Tommy Kramer is 69, JJ is 21.

grandpa and grandson ages, pretty much.  it must be a trip for both of them, one seeing the past and one seeing the yet to come future.

I wonder if Kramer had any kind of conversation with Addison, given the consequences he's endured due to alcohol and bad decisions?

26 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I wonder if Kramer had any kind of conversation with Addison, given the consequences he's endured due to alcohol and bad decisions?

i can't see an old man of Kramer's vintage and uhh... cultural background... being very influential to Addison. perhaps Cris Carter could be, but even then, it's up to Addy himself.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i can't see an old man of Kramer's vintage and uhh... cultural background... being very influential to Addison. perhaps Cris Carter could be, but even then, it's up to Addy himself.

Oh, absolutely it's up to Addison.  I like the idea of Carter being useful. Maybe the Vikings should start a Council of Wise Old Vets, who have had addiction or mental health issues and have established a day to day routine for their health and well-being, who could establish a relationship with young players with issues?

• Like 2