R-1 pick 29

textaz03

7 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

The best thing I can say about the Guyton pick is that he gives us flexibility and insurance. If Steele has another bad year this year, you plug Guyton in there and draft a new LT next year. Then you have your bookend T’s for the future. 

I think this is a good thought. Cutting Steele next year saves $8M. The likelihood of a new coaching staff increases the chances of some reshuffling as well.

Was listening to Bill Simmons earlier, one of his takeaways from last night was that it seemed like teams finally wised up to how QB and OT are the most important positions and if you nail a pick there you're locked into a decade long starter. If your scenario were to unfold that would be 3 OTs in 4 years for Dallas if you count Smith as one- not a bad strategy imo

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

If he’s not your guy, you trade him. If they haven’t made up their minds up on this by now, they’re bigger **** for brains than I suspected. Which is hard to imagine considering my opinion of Jerry and Stephen. It’s completely inexcusable.

Jerry has proven that he lacks the foresight to trade a player and get assets. He and Goof Son have convinced themselves that comp picks outweigh trade compensation, which is retarded. The only conceivable "excuse" that Jerry could claim is Dak's no-trade clause, which is a lazy cop-out.

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Will McClay on Cowboys first-round pick Oklahoma OT Tyler Guyton: “The way he plays the game, he has a little nasty to him. … The athleticism and all that stuff is there.”

Why Dallas believes Guyton will be a successful left tackle:

https://x.com/jonmachota/status/1783845747974115545?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

A number of OTs in this draft have some "nasty" to them: Guyton, Fuaga, Fautanu, and Mims all play mean. I love it.

Good pick. Great pick when he comes with an extra 3rd. Love it. I wouldn’t be opposed to using our original 3rd and moving up to get JPJ. Then get a RB with #73. That would make for a quick little overhaul of the offense 

Edited by DaBoys

For what it’s worth, Dillon Gabriel is left handed. So Guyton WAS the blind side OT. I know the footwork and positioning is different but he was the blindside protector. 

Posted (edited)

Warning - having played OT at Notre Dame and some TE (mostly as a third TE for goalline stuff - and even FB my freshman year in HS), I can go pretty heavy in the mechanical stuff when it comes to linemen and blocking. But to those who really care about that part of the sport and how it pertains to Guyton. Please read on!

I keep saying that I said all along. A trade back plus Guyton would be a win. So it's still a win IMO.

And I stand by what I also said. That in 4 years he could be the best OL.on the team. He is immensely gifted.

That said...

I watched a ton of him the last 2 days and there is a lot to be weary of.

First and foremost is his.anchor in pass protection. He relied a lot on athleticism to win in college and we all know thatxdoesmt work the same in the NFL. He needs to learn to anchor his hips and eat the pop and rebound with leverage or he will be beaten too easily by the good rushers he will face weekly.

He needs to use his hips to turn and engage before setting his feet. And allow his feet to follow his hips. His feet won't get him out of jams as easily in the NFL either. Have to have more to your game

Identifying the kind of rush coming at him. He is so used to his feet bailing him out that he sets so early and gets beaten inside. Has to do a better job of seeing what's coming and not setting too early. Can't get beaten inside because you set for outside.

Has to play with less aggressiveness in the run game. Agressive is good. But selling out to finish too early is not. There is a whole second level to consider when the play allows and looking to flatten the end and get lost in the play can be tempting. But it severely limits the daylight a back has to work with on specific play calls 

NOW that isn't to say he can't manage all this. The foundation is amazing and really if you think about it, he is much less polished out of college than Tyron, but he has a much better foundation to build upon asna rookie than Tyron had and we all know how good Tyron became. 

I give this kid a solid potential to be an all pro but sadly a high potential to be a bust because there is still so much to work on. I'm not worried about his flip to LT because he is already used to playing the blind side, and protecting against the defenses better rushers. But I am worried that there is a hell of a lot of work to do. If Solari can get him prepared for week 1 that's absolutely a leg up higher than I'd expect.

But if this kid puts it together. Man, look the F out cause he has perennial all pro potential soaring through the roof.

Added note: for those who compare it to Tyler Smith. Don't. Tyler was a surefire inside guy who didn't have the footwork or foot speed to truly be an all star at LT. It worked in a pinch because he came in with a ton of polish at it was. But I don't think anyone was sold on him being a full time OT when he can be an elite OG. And as I've just said. Tyler came in with a ton of pro level polish already to his game, playing smart and setting his hips square in the face of twist rushes already is miles beyond what most rookie OLs are ready for. Add in the speed to the second level. Knowing when full arm extension vs 3/4 extension in preparation for a double rush move by the defender, and just how well he used his hips, were all pro level or nearly pro level coming out of college. I saw his future in the reverse of his I see Guytons, with a high potential to be a long term, very good starter with a low potential for bust - but on the flip side, as high as I see the potential for Guyton to bust if he doesn't get to work hard on his flaws, I also see the potential for how good he is to be far greater than I see for Tyler smith even now. Guyton can be THAT DAMN GOOD if he works hard and Solari stays on him.

I really think the best thing for Guyton's future may well be to actually sit for a bit or even start off at Guard for a bit. Where his mistakes would be slightly minimized and the game tape he puts on, he can go back and study with Solari. Then when more of these issues are cleaned up, he can slide out to LT full time.

But I don't think they will go either route. He will be a LT starter from day 1, and I sure Hope Solari is up to the task of getting him there.

Edited by Dallas94Ware