R-1 pick 29

textaz03

11 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

After the Dallas Cowboys traded with the Detroit Lions, With the 29th pick of the 2024 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select

OT Tyler Guyton - Oklahoma 

I'm good with that. OL help is always a good thing. And two 3rd round picks. Not terrible.

Edited by Rtnldave

Said this for a month. If Guyton is the pick at 24, it's a terrible pick. But if Guyton is the pick after a trade back, that's pretty good.

When all is said and done, Guyton could be the best OL from the draft. But he has to much to work on. A TON of work. But he also has a ton of potential. Not too many college tackles finish plays every down, or have that kind of hustle and heart. He's also athletic, strong, and frequently gets full arm extension.

But all of his mechanical stuff needs so much cleaning up. They would be very unwise to let him protect Dak's blindside right now. There are options, short term, to buy Guyton time. And it is possible that vets like Martin and Steele definitely help him get up to speed a bit faster. 

He is not a bad pick at all. But if the goal was to upgrade this team right now, and aid Dak right now. And put this team in a better position to win in the playoffs right now. Then it's an unwise pick 

Still .. as I've said... Guyton and an added pick is a good addition overall. I still think need SWAYED them a little more than they should have let it. But not bad really. The amount of potential he has...it could really become a great addition to the team in time.

17 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

I understand the pick but not sure he’s a better player than JPJ

Oh he is certainly not. Problem is that a lot of teams have backed away from JPJs medicals. Rumor is Dallas didn't clear him, dunno how accurate that is though ..

But guyton is not a better option than JPJ.

I think need SWAYED them a little more than they should have let it. There were better overall players and on the line JPJ was better. And Suamataia is a little better option for playing NOW.

But Guyton has so much potential that in a few years he could.be the best OT from the draft. I just don't see how adding him helps you now. He would have been a better addition last year with Tyron on his last year of contract. But to jump in and replace him now. I don't see it.

Overall, I gotta say I’m fairly happy with round 1.  We’ve been very good at drafting OL in round 1.  As bad as we are at drafting TEs in round 2, the exact opposite true of drafting OL in round one.  So I’m willing to give McClay the benefit of the doubt.  But I’m thrilled with the early 3rd that we’re getting.  We will need rookies to play in 2024 and that early third is prime position for RBs and LBs which are areas of need… need meets value.  

• Like 1

Time will tell on the player. I foresee a trying rookie year assuming he’s forced to switch sides from RT to LT.

But we can’t ignore this- it’s been obvious for weeks, as soon as it became apparent that this team wasn’t planning to do anything in free agency, that trading down was the right play. But not too far as to land out of the first and lose the crucial fifth year option. So who would be our dance partner? Would a smart team like Buffalo, Baltimore or KC even part ways with a late 4th to move up half a dozen spots, much less a third?

Enter Detroit, armed with an extra third courtesy of the TJ Hockenson trade. The 9th pick in the third round; 73rd overall. It cannot be understated how much more valuable pick #73 is compared to, let’s say, #130. That’s what we should be focused on. We just landed another starter, potentially, for moving back 5 spots. Again- time will tell on the player. The process was impeccable.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Time will tell on the player. I foresee a trying rookie year assuming he’s forced to switch sides from RT to LT.

But we can’t ignore this- it’s been obvious for weeks, as soon as it became apparent that this team wasn’t planning to do anything in free agency, that trading down was the right play. But not too far as to land out of the first and lose the crucial fifth year option. So who would be our dance partner? Would a smart team like Buffalo, Baltimore or KC even part ways with a late 4th to move up half a dozen spots, much less a third?

Enter Detroit, armed with an extra third courtesy of the TJ Hockenson trade. The 9th pick in the third round; 73rd overall. It cannot be understated how much more valuable pick #73 is compared to, let’s say, #130. That’s what we should be focused on. We just landed another starter, potentially, for moving back 5 spots. Again- time will tell on the player. The process was impeccable.

This is how I view.  While we might not reap the rewards next year so much this can be huge for the cowboys in years ahead 2-5….  I just like the idea of potentially adding 3-4 starters to this team

Color me skeptical. Ton of potential, but as others have voiced, the switch from right to left is no small feat assuming that’s the plan. That said, hard to argue the track record this team has with RD1 linemen. 

The best thing I can say about the Guyton pick is that he gives us flexibility and insurance. If Steele has another bad year this year, you plug Guyton in there and draft a new LT next year. Then you have your bookend T’s for the future. 

Edited by Tony7188
  • Like 1

I really don't believe Dallas is trying to go "all in" this year. I stated this before. If you consider how many players they let go in FA and how little they did, that equates to comp picks in 24-25.

I think this is a "prove it" year for a lot of people: Dak, McCarthy, etc. If the team goes belly up this year it simply means higher picks, more picks via comps and more cap space.

Consider this as a possibility and this pick makes perfect sense. They are stocking the trenches for a rebuild in 2 years.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I really don't believe Dallas is trying to go "all in" this year. I stated this before. If you consider how many players they let go in FA and how little they did, that equates to comp picks in 24-25.

I think this is a "prove it" year for a lot of people: Dak, McCarthy, etc. If the team goes belly up this year it simply means higher picks, more picks via comps and more cap space.

Consider this as a possibility and this pick makes perfect sense. They are stocking the trenches for a rebuild in 2 years.

If he’s not your guy, you trade him. If they haven’t made up their minds up on this by now, they’re bigger **** for brains than I suspected. Which is hard to imagine considering my opinion of Jerry and Stephen. It’s completely inexcusable.