4.108 - Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon - #31

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Fewest yards per coverage snap allowed outside the slot, Round 1 CBs since the 2021 draft/this class (via PFF)

T. McDuffie: 0.52
P. Surtain: 0.60
S. Gardner: 0.61
K. Elam: 0.61
D. Banks: 0.61
K. McKinstry: 0.62*
E. Stokes: 0.63
J. Horn: 0.64
K. Jackson: 0.66*
Q. Mitchell: 0.68*

Right up there with a lot of really good CBs.  I'm feeling even better about him now, as well as our defence in 2025.

• Like 1

I assume that with so few picks in this season's draft, Kwesi will again be trying to grab they very top UDFAs, as they did last season with Pace Jr. and Carter.  That might be even MORE important in 2025.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

Vikings take OT/OG Walter Rouse. 6-6  323 lb. with pick 177

Good at Run Blocking.

Good balance and anchor in pass blocking.

Good at recognising stunts,

you're in the Khyree Jackson thread, dude... lol

Vikings Senior Vice President of Player Personnel Ryan Grigson spoke to media members via videoconference following Minnesota's selection of Jackson:

"He really kind of put it all together last season in a really premier conference (Pac-12) with a lot of talent that he had to match against. Really happy with the value here and what he brings to the table. Because at the end of the day, you have a guy that can move, that has instincts, that's 6-3 with 33-inch arms to match up in our league where there's so many big receivers."

"The way he drops his weight and his hips and just his footwork, it's just not ordinary, and that's why I love this pick. I think all the coaches, everyone sees the talent and sees some of the rare things that are hard to get in this round."

vikings.com

Any way you slice it, Khyree Jackson's path to the NFL is one worth telling. In 2018, Jackson was two seasons removed from last playing football and had just earned Employee of the Month honors from his local Harris Teeter grocery store.

"I was working in the deli," Jackson told Twin Cities media members via videoconference Saturday. "So I was cutting ham and stuff. I'm just super grateful to be drafted by the Vikings. I can't really put into too many words how this process has been – truthfully, it's been a whirlwind."

Jackson acknowledged there was a time he didn't know if he'd play football again. He explained that in 2018 he stepped away from Arizona Western College and moved back home to Upper Marlboro, Maryland, without telling his friends he'd dropped out.

"I told them I was still in school," he said. "I stayed in my house for six straight months, and nobody knew. And it was kind of eating away at me. I finally told my friends, and that moment really told me, 'Man, if I was embarrassed to even tell them, like, I might want to get up and try to do it again instead of just sitting here and sulking.' "

After mentally letting go of football, focusing on his grocery store job and pursuing the NBA 2K League (he made it to the top 250 and was preparing for a draft in New York), Jackson found himself with a second opportunity to play at Fort Scott Community College in 2019. And just like that, he was back on the field – but as a receiver.

"I went back and first played receiver. I felt like I had kind of earned my coach's trust, and then I went to his office and told him, 'You know, I wanted to play corner,' " Jackson said. "I let him know, 'You know, I'm in junior college, I got to produce to kind of get out of here. … At least I can kind of control my own destiny."

He's used his length (and 78-inch wingspan) to his advantage, though, and managed his size effectively, helping him go from JUCO ball, then to Alabama as a backup under Nick Saban and then to Oregon last season as a full-time starter.

https://www.vikings.com/news/khyree-jackson-nfl-draft-cornerback-oregon

8 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

He’s a big CB…. I expect him to stay at CB.  I know Flores likes big CB’s which is why he kept giving Joejuan Williams so many reps last years.

Cine can still be a good player.

Khyree Jackson is a good pickup and a super talented player.  Glad they were able to get a CB and clearly he will push others at the position mostly Evans and Blackmon.  Jackson is super inexperienced though, this being his first time playing basically as a full time starter, never was that at Bama but had some really strong moments at times.  Love his ball skills for someone so long, tackling is a bit of a question but his man coverage ability for someone that large is impressive.  Was solid at the combine and oddly enough I believe in college was listed at 6-3, combine he is 6-4 so even taller than most thought which usually is the other way around.

CB Byron Murphy/ Shaquill Griffin/ Mekhi Blackmon
CB Akayleb Evans/ Khyree Jackson/ Andrew Booth
Slot CB Byron Murphy/ Josh Metellus/ Mekhi Blackmon
SS Harrison Smith/ Josh Metellus/ Lewis Cine
FS Cam Bynum/ Theo Jackson / Jay Ward

Having Cine still around makes sense because they are not super deep at safety.  Metellus I feel will be still more of a slot or down box safety in a three safety look.  But Harrison Smith was good around the line of scrimmage last year as well.  Booth is the one where curious if he does end up being cut but all depends, clearly they cannot keep them all so someone will be cut be in Booth, Cine or Ward.

Would be great if Griffin can be a starting CB as a boundary but not sure about that, and would be great to have Murphy full time slot but still no other CB on the roster is better on the outside than him.  Blackmon not sure he can play the slot but we will see.  

These corners all went behind Jackson, most in the 5th round.  Abrams-Draine could be a great slot in the pros same with Smith-Wade.  Cam Hart is a better tackler than Jackson all day long and is far more proven and has played more football, same with Pritchett and Brownlee as well.

Ryan Watts
Kris Abrams-Draine
Cam Hart
Jarvis Brownlee Jr
Nehemiah Pritchett
Chau Smith-Wade

So Vikings are going on upside and yes being as tall as he is and as athletic, is hard to argue with Jackson as a legit 6-4 CB with ball skills.  Ryan Watts is another one, I had him over Jackson but just on upside.  Watts had a great combine with a 4.53 40, 40" vertical, and he is 6-3 208 so basically 14 pounds heavier than Jackson and has longer arms with 34 1/2" arms, Jackson 32 3/4" arms.  Watts to me played at a higher level and also has more true experience than Jackson does, but Watts is most likely going to transition to safety in the NFL even though he was pretty legit at CB despite being that massive size 6-3 208.

Jackson does anticipate at times better than Watts does but Watts even at Ohio State was super high level as a young player and played more in general over the four years of his career.  Stronger tackler is Watts no question to me but sure at times he was not consistent on Texas.   Jackson has went through three college football season and again only one year as a full time starter at Oregon, Watts started the past two years on Texas at CB after playing a decent amount at Ohio State.  Jackson did play at Community College (Junior college) in 2019 before he got to Bama 2021 and never started that season, started one game in 2022 then transferred to Oregon for 2023.  

• Like 2