4.108 - Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon - #31

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i'll take that bet if she was also legally intoxicated.

you have to keep in mind THREE people were killed and three others were injured which could have been worse. she won't get, in my opinion, the sentence you get for killing only one person while drunk and speeding.

Those three people weren't murdered, though. The system treats negligence/manslaughter much differently than murder. If she has no serious criminal record, she's likely to be shown a significant degree of lenience. Plus, the driver was female, which statistically receive 33% shorter prison sentences than men for comparable offenses (58% less likely to be sentenced to prison). There are a lot more factors that will impact the sentence, most of which we don't know yet.

I think most will be disappointed with the outcome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Fobos said:

Those three people weren't murdered, though. The system treats negligence/manslaughter much differently than murder. If she has no serious criminal record, she's likely to be shown a significant degree of lenience. Plus, the driver was female, which statistically receive 33% shorter prison sentences than men for comparable offenses (58% less likely to be sentenced to prison). There are a lot more factors that will impact the sentence, most of which we don't know yet.

In Germany, driving under the influence (and being fully aware of it- as evidenced by her tweets) and killing somebody could get you in jail for murder. In these cases, the car is considered a weapon that is dangerous to the public. 

I think this is a good law. If you get drunk and choose to drive, you know that you are endangering others.

The penalties for DUI are sadly very low, though (except for losing your licence), so I sadly still see a couple of accidents involving drunk drivers every year (I work as a voluntary firefighter).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

I believe yesterday's Washington Post mentioned that she has had DWI and reckless driving on her record.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

Maryland law seems to indicate that it's up to 10 yrs for vehicular manslaughter.  Since 3 people died, I wouldn't be surprised to see that that would be 30 yrs for 3 counts.  Even via plea, I bet she gets 20 yrs minimum. 

Frustrating to lose a young person in such a way. And frustrating that there are so many people out there that still drive drunk. And just tragic overall for that area and town to lose three young men. Even though he never played a down, seeing some videos on him and what he went through to get to the NFL and just the character he seemed to have, he'll be missed.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Maryland law seems to indicate that it's up to 10 yrs for vehicular manslaughter.  

add to that excessive speed and dwi, if that's the case.

and apparently a prior record.

oh yeah, she's not getting off easy.

It is, as someone else said, further proof that nothing good happens after 2 am.  I was so distraught after finding out about it on Saturday.  Especially after I heard the description of how it happened.  Last week, while I was coming back from MN...in Des Moines, some jerk-off, (mind you, it's a Sunday, so there's little traffic), 2 lanes away, moves into the lane next to me, runs up nearly into the car in front of him, and then attempted to move into my lane, although I'm right next to him...gets within about 2 inches from side-swiping me going 70 MPH.  I slammed my brakes, and slid into the left shoulder to avoid getting hit by him.  I could have suffered a similar fate as Khyree, except I could have hit the median rather than a tree.  Now, he was probably just a moron and not a drunk, but still, after hearing about Khyree, that made me even more thankful that it didn't turn out that way for me (and my wife and father-in-law who were in the car with me).   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Andrew Brandt@AndrewBrandt

Re questions on Khyree Jackson $:

He signed a four-year $4.85M contract with the Vikings, including a signing bonus of $827,148. The bonus amount was paid and is the only guaranteed portion of the contract. As to the nonguaranteed salary for this year and beyond, we will see.

if this healthy, unmarried, childless, 24 year old young man didn't have a will established, how is that $800,000+ distributed?

@wcblack34

Edited by vike daddy

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

He signed a four-year $4.85M contract with the Vikings, including a signing bonus of $827,148. The bonus amount was paid and is the only guaranteed portion of the contract. As to the nonguaranteed salary for this year and beyond, we will see.

if this healthy, unmarried, childless, 24 year old young man didn't have a will established, how is that $800,000+ distributed?

@wcblack34

I bet, knowing the Wilfs' history, they will do whatever they can to help out the family.  While they won't get any of the non-guaranteed portion, I bet they will do something. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I bet, knowing the Wilfs' history, they will do whatever they can to help out the family.  While they won't get any of the non-guaranteed portion, I bet they will do something. 

$827,000 is certainly a windfall for the family to receive.

i can see the Wilfs setting up a Maryland based scholarship fund in Jackson's name... having his mom and grandfather administer it... and it would be fitting for them to take a small income from that for their time... wink

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

@wcblack34

It can vary from state to state. No idea if Maryland uses the uniform probate code or not. Generally, if someone dies without a will, the state's statutes will determine how the property passes. In the state I practice in, if he was not married, and had no children, then his parents are his beneficiaries. If they are deceased, then siblings. It can get more complicated from there. 

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

It can vary from state to state. No idea if Maryland uses the uniform probate code or not. Generally, if someone dies without a will, the state's statutes will determine how the property passes. In the state I practice in, if he was not married, and had no children, then his parents are his beneficiaries. If they are deceased, then siblings. It can get more complicated from there. 

he has a mother and grandfather. his father died when he was young.

Posted (edited)

Denise Douglas, spokeswoman for the Prince George's County State's Attorney's Office, told the Star Tribune on Monday that prosecutors "are definitely moving quickly and expeditiously" toward deciding whether to charge Clingman in connection with her role in the crash. The police said its investigators "believe alcohol may have been a contributing circumstance in the crash."

"An early evidentiary review has been scheduled for this week," Douglas said. "Our office continues to work diligently with [the State Police] on this ongoing investigation," she added. "We only have initial reports, which do not include the [blood alcohol content], which has to be developed from the medical records in this case. We have not yet received those yet."

Court records show that Clingman has been cited twice since 2018 for speeding, including in one instance when she was ticketed for going 100 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone.

https://www.startribune.com/prosecutors-moving-expeditiously-toward-charging-decision-in-crash-that-killed-vikings-rookie/600379163/

Clingman has a history of speeding offenses. According to reports, records reveal that she has been cited twice for speeding in 55 mph zones.

In 2018, she was caught driving 69 mph in a 55 mph zone, and in 2020, she was recorded traveling at 100 mph in the same type of zone. She served a year of unsupervised probation for her first offense, but the outcome of her second arrest remains unclear.

https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/minnesota-vikings/2024/07/07/668aa67e46163f1b058b4576.html

Edited by vike daddy