Round 6 Pick 195 Steelers Draft CB/S Ryan Watts 6'3 208 4.53

Pretty quick for a guy that size. Usually you see someone that tall and think they're fast in a straight line with bad COD. He's kind of the opposite. Decent long speed, but great stop and start. I see him as a big safety that can zone a little and also match up with bigger TEs. Should be able to play the run well too. Good ST value as well. He's got long arms too so he might be able to block a kick or two. Maybe he turns into an outside CB that jams a lot. There's a lot of directions we could go with him.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Pretty quick for a guy that size. Usually you see someone that tall and think they're fast in a straight line with bad COD. He's kind of the opposite. Decent long speed, but great stop and start. I see him as a big safety that can zone a little and also match up with bigger TEs. Should be able to play the run well too. Good ST value as well. He's got long arms too so he might be able to block a kick or two. Maybe he turns into an outside CB that jams a lot. There's a lot of directions we could go with him.

Agreed. I'd toss him into the Slot role and he challenge TEs and cover the inside receivers. Interesting player but I don't see him as an outside CB.

10 hours ago, warfelg said:

Reminds me of Tre Norwood but with size to play the role. 

I don't think he'll do well playing CB full time. Play him like the Ravens play Hamilton and he'll thrive.

48 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I don't think he'll do well playing CB full time. Play him like the Ravens play Hamilton and he'll thrive.

We weren’t playing Norwood at CB. He was a dime S/slot/te coverage guy. I see him playing that role just bigger. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

We weren’t playing Norwood at CB. He was a dime S/slot/te coverage guy. I see him playing that role just bigger. 

We tried playing Norwood at CB during preseason then we moved him to being a sub-package defender.

That highlight reel was kinda funny.  Almost ALL of it was non-coverage related.  He didn't hit like a safety either, which with today's rules may actually be a good thing.  Looks like he could turn into a center fielder type S perhaps?  Worth a flyer here based on his 3-cone, vert and size combo.

23 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

That highlight reel was kinda funny.  Almost ALL of it was non-coverage related.  He didn't hit like a safety either, which with today's rules may actually be a good thing.  Looks like he could turn into a center fielder type S perhaps?  Worth a flyer here based on his 3-cone, vert and size combo.

Basically, we are looking at a role player at his ceiling but a future special teams captain.

2 hours ago, rlon said:

Basically, we are looking at a role player at his ceiling but a future special teams captain.

He can play CB too but I wouldn't rely on him playing Man effectively. Playing the Cover 3 types would make him a stud.

• Like 1

It seemed from his highlights and from his draft profile that he won't be a true NCB, but may be somewhere in between a SS and slot CB. Put him on the opposing athletic TEs and I think he finds success and he seemed to find the ball well near the line of scrimmage. Having someone that can effectively cover these big/athletic TEs can be very useful.

• Like 1