7.232 - Levi Drake Rodriguez, DT, TAMU-C - #50

Overview

Rodriguez plays with a big heart and a steady motor, but he lacks NFL size and skill inside. He gives good effort on each snap but spends too much time staying attached to blockers instead of finding quick routes around them. He has decent length for his size, but he doesn’t do enough damage with his hands and lacks the short-area foot quickness teams will look for from a smaller player. Rodriguez has been a productive player, but the step up in competition feels like it could be too big for him.

Strengths

• Plays with the same motor all game long.
  • Carries a long wingspan for his height.
  • Uses jump-and-slap technique to rush around B-gap.
  • Bend allows for quicker directional change in the backfield.

Weaknesses

• Spends excess time in fistfights with blockers as a rusher.
  • Doesn’t have enough short-area twitch to beat pros to the edge.
  • Gets overwhelmed by big bodies at the point of attack.

NFL.com

• SemperFeist changed the title to 7.232 - Levi Drake Rodriguez, DT, TAMU-C

Levi Drake Rodriguez burst onto the CFB scene last season, recording 56 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, and 5.5 sacks, en route to a PFF-All-American-caliber season for Texas A&M-Commerce. He has a 6’4”, 290-lb frame, a naturally mesomorphic build, and a narrow lower half. He boasts noteworthy growth potential, as he added nearly 100 pounds of mass since his senior season at East View HS (TX). Still appears to have room to add 10-15 pounds of mass to his athletic frame. Rodriguez was a two-sport athlete (football and baseball) at Southwestern Assemblies of God University (SAGU) for three seasons between 2019-2021. 

Rodriguez exhibits a sense of urgency on every rep. He rushes the passer with tenacious energy & striking, dexterous hands to push the pocket from the 3T. He offers a strong push-pull, a tight, compact swim move, and a reliable club-rip to work upfield. He was a frequent winner on 1-on-1s at the FCS & NAIA levels but lacks extensive snaps lining up against top competition (outside of his performance at the 2024 Tropical Bowl, where he won the game’s overall MVP). Shoots off the ball with swift foot & body quickness, sufficient explosion, and requisite pad level to occupy space in the B and C gaps.

His narrow lower half should raise concerns about his ability to control the POA and handle combo blocks against NFL-caliber IOL. At 290 pounds, he carries his weight really well. His size/frame does not limit his functional athleticism, body control, or lateral agility whatsoever. Uses a relentless motor to pursue the ball to all ranges of the field, which is a critical factor that should translate to the next level. He consistently retraces his steps, rallies to the ball several yards downfield, and scrapes down the LOS to chase down passes thrown out to the flats.

https://nfldraftdiamonds.com/2024/03/levi-drake-rodriguez/#google_vignette

Rodriguez took the Vikings' call from a bedroom, having slipped away from a large crowd of ecstatic family members and friends to find a quiet space:

"I have a 900-square-foot house with 35, 40 people just in the living room. And we have a whole food truck outside, and there's about 30 more people outside, as well. Got a lot of family, a lot of people who love me that are here, you know, and it's just awesome to see how they believe in me. I wish there were cameras here just so everybody could see this little humble house erupt."

"I'm ready. I'm looking forward to this journey. This whole new chapter in my life. You know, I love how my family erupted with joy. It's going to be a great experience – not only for me, but for my family, as well."

Rodriguez garnered First-Team All-Southland Conference honors in 2023 when he led the Lions with 7.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks in 10 games. Rodriguez was invited to the Tropical Bowl in January, where he was named the MVP after shining throughout the week and capping it with three sacks in the game.

https://www.vikings.com/news/seventh-round-2024-nfl-draft-picks

17 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Carries a long wingspan for his height.

Quite a few of our rookies have this trait. Kiper said wingspan, across all positions, is the most underlooked trait in prospects. 

The Colts, an even more analytically-driven organization, are known for drafting players with large wingspans. Have to wonder if Kwesi & co are intentionally looking for such (among other traits).

Edited by Duluther
  • Like 1

• VikeManDan changed the title to 7.232 - Levi Drake Rodriguez, DT, TAMU-C - #50