My beef with the draft and who this guy would have taken.

DR43

Who draft would you have gone with?   

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who draft would you have gone with?

• This Guy's draft
    • Please pick my draft
    • It will be good for my morale
    • Steelers' draft

I'm glad I am one of the few as I take a lot of you guys' opinion over mine but I am not in love with this draft.  Maybe I am missing something.

I dont dislike anyone who we drafted but would have went in a different route.

Round 1: Troy Fauntanu - Only issue here is his age, which is a recurring issue for these OLineman.  I'm afraid we're only going to get 6-7 years out of these OLinemen.  I get it that even with pick #20 there is nobody who will check all the boxes, so I agree with this selection.

My pick: Troy Fauntanu OG Washington

Round 2: Zach Frazier - I guess his injury might raise a red flag and I certainly preferred Adonai Mitchell.  I would much rather if we had to go crawling back to Mason Cole than head into 2024 with the current receiving corps.  

My pick: Adonai Mitchell WR Texas

Round 3a: Roman Wilson - I have no issue taking a slot in the 3rd but who is going to our #2 outside?  Van Jefferson?  Not good.  What happens if or when Pickens misses time?  We'll have the worst receiving group in the league if that happens.  Plus, doesn't this mean Calvin Austin sees less playing time?  I would prefer Jefferson missing time as our #2 outside than Austin missing time in the slot.

My pick...Roman Wilson WR Michigan!  I'm fine with this pick.  Not fine with him being the only receiver taken. 

Round 3b: Payton Wilson - A heck of a lot of injuries and is already 24.  Would a #2 ILB in this day and age really warrant a 3rd round pick?  I'm actually asking and not making a smart alec remark.  

My pick: Decamerion Richardson CB Mississippi State - Not a nickel corner but I'm thinking long term. 

Round 4: Mason McCormick - Again, there were receivers who we could have grabbed to fill out our receiver corps.  I guess the Steelers really didnt think highly of the remaining guys.

My pick: Sedrick Van Pran-Granger C Georgia - Since I already grabbed two receivers, I'm going with Pran-Granger who is a bit of a steal in round 4.

Round 6a: Logan Lee - ANOTHER guy who will be turning 24. He is going to have to put on ten pounds to make the team.  Mekhi Wingo is two years younger, played in a 3-4 in college, 15 lbs heavier, and was still on the board.  If they wanted to go DLine, I wonder why they went with Lee. 

Regardless, I am going in a different direction.  My man DJ James slipped and slipped throughout the draft and could very well be the starting slot corner before the end of the season.  

My pick: DJ James NCB Auburn

Round 6b: Ryan Watts - I assume he's moving to safety.  I'll admit I cant pass up Jerry Rice's kid.

My pick: Brenden Rice WR USC - Yes three WRs.  

14 hours ago, DR43 said:

I'm glad I am one of the few as I take a lot of you guys' opinion over mine but I am not in love with this draft.  Maybe I am missing something.

Round 1: Troy Fauntanu - Only issue here is his age, which is a recurring issue for these OLineman.  I'm afraid we're only going to get 6-7 years out of these OLinemen.  I get it that even with pick #20 there is nobody who will check all the boxes, so I agree with this selection.

Round 2: Zach Frazier - I guess his injury might raise a red flag and I certainly preferred Adonai Mitchell.  I would much rather if we had to go crawling back to Mason Cole than head into 2024 with the current receiving corps.  

Round 3a: Roman Wilson - I have no issue taking a slot in the 3rd but who is going to our #2 outside?  Van Jefferson?  Not good.  What happens if or when Pickens misses time?  We'll have the worst receiving group in the league if that happens.  Plus, doesn't this mean Calvin Austin sees less playing time?  I would prefer Jefferson missing time as our #2 outside than Austin missing time in the slot.

My pick...Roman Wilson WR Michigan!  I'm fine with this pick.  Not fine with him being the only receiver taken. 

Round 3b: Payton Wilson - A heck of a lot of injuries and is already 24.  Would a #2 ILB in this day and age really warrant a 3rd round pick?  I'm actually asking and not making a smart alec remark.  

My pick: Decamerion Richardson CB Mississippi State - Not a nickel corner but I'm thinking long term. 

Round 4: Mason McCormick - Again, there were receivers who we could have grabbed to fill out our receiver corps.  I guess the Steelers really didnt think highly of the remaining guys.

My pick: Sedrick Van Pran-Granger C Georgia - Since I already grabbed two receivers, I'm going with Pran-Granger who is a bit of a steal in round 4.

Round 6a: Logan Lee - ANOTHER guy who will be turning 24. He is going to have to put on ten pounds to make the team.  Mekhi Wingo is two years younger, played in a 3-4 in college, 15 lbs heavier, and was still on the board.  If they wanted to go DLine, I wonder why they went with Lee. 

Regardless, I am going in a different direction.  My man DJ James slipped and slipped throughout the draft and could very well be the starting slot corner before the end of the season.  

Round 6b: Ryan Watts - I assume he's moving to safety.  I'll admit I cant pass up Jerry Rice's kid.

Aside from the Brenden Rice point, even the DJ James though I think they should have went NT there, I’m glad you weren’t drafting. Because Frazier is simply a huge pick for this franchise, and this will be evident for 12 years. They wanted a wide receiver with an A plus team personality, after last year. I am not sure what they would have got with Mitchell even given all his talent.

Edited by rlon

1 minute ago, rlon said:

Aside from the Brenden Rice point, even the DJ James thought I think they should have went NT there, I’m glad you weren’t drafting. Because Frazier is simply a huge pick for this franchise, and this will be evident for 12 years. They wanted a wide receiver with an A plus team personality, after last year. I am not sure what they would have got with Mitchell even given all his talent.

Just to add and speaking of A Pluses, that’s how I’d grade this draft. People were saying ‘better than last year’ early on. I kind of scoffed at that a little before I saw the reality. Kahn killed it. Absolutely killed it.

44 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Do you all even prefer the Steelers six rounders over mine?

I don’t know if it came out right, but I did try and mention that those are the ones of yours I’d most likely think of agreeing with, though I wanted NT Boyd. The Iowa kid might have something special though, special in a workman like, true Steeler way…who gets better the longer he is in this organization.

Your draft would've been solid too.  But I'll take the C over a WR in 2.  Logan Lee was solid at Iowa.  To me it's a toss up between him and the CB.  (In my redo, I coincidentally took the same CB in 6 over him that you did)

On 4/27/2024 at 8:04 PM, DR43 said:

There are a few picks that I am sure that we all would have. However, overall, it is hard to argue with the players and their draft value.

I will address the age thing again. We are looking to build now and win now. Yes, you definitely want to have an eye on the future.  However, things in the NFL are shifting with free agency, etc. I remember drafting guys like Leon Searcy and other teams out-bidding $$$ for what the Steelers could afford. It didn't matter if they were 21 or 25, they were typically one and done after 4 years. OL's can play longer. If he lives up to half the hype, he's a stud and a keeper. 

The Steelers have long valued WR over OL.  It has gotten them nowhere.  Build your team in the trenches. They should have started doing this when Ben was getting older in 2018.

Answers  will come JUne 1, I bet! 

Dude is an absolute stud.  If we got 4-5 years, I would alright, I think he plays longer. Too much value to pass him here and I was someone who was dead against drafting an ILB. 

I think slot CB, Nickel, DT, safety or DE would have been better targets. Again, I have pleaded for OL and they did a bit of OL overkill. 

I thought great value here and you need a potential Cam replacement for 2025.  He is not a sexy pick, but the value is here and he can play.  If he develops into even a poor man's Brett Keisel, I am happy. If we get him for 5-6 years, thumbs up!!!! When have we really nailed a 6th rounder not named AB?

Didn't like the pick a lot either, but understood. I am more concerned about DL youth and development. I would have drafted Jab the Hutt to play NG

th?id=OIP.TuOOVv997PMn0F59X3dT4wHaDs&pid

• Like 1

I question if Adonai Mitchell and George Pickens could have coexisted.   Similar types in more ways than one.

Even as a player, I would have take Frazier over him.   I think they were equally talented players....Mitchell with more upside, Frazier safer....but is something we absolutely needed to address with the currently makeup of this team.    This is going to be a power running team it seems....and we had nothing at center.

Your draft is okay....but I would keep ours.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 43M said:

I question if Adonai Mitchell and George Pickens could have coexisted.   Similar types in more ways than one.

Yes, this, and there is a reason both did not go higher in the draft. The evaluation process is so thorough in the modern NFL. So interesting to me…