Post Draft Thoughts

dll2000

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah no doubt there are moves to be made but with those two carrying such large cap hits it's time we start doing what competitive teams do and converting some of it in creative ways...we have just not seen it done for so long during this rebuild hahaha.

No reason to start doing that until we have to though IMO. Soul is right - Borom (replaced with a vet and a 3rd rounder) and Blasingame (Waldron has never carried a FB) and Gill (drafted Taylor) are virtual locks to be gone.

I don’t think your number is quite accurate though. The total approximate cap hits for our 5 draftees will be $14M, but only the top three picks will have 2024 cap hits in the top 51 on the roster, and they’ll bump another contract off the bottom and out of the equation.

Based on last year’s contracts at the same draft position, our rookies will have about these cap hits in 2024:

Williams $7M

Odunze $4M

Amegadjie $1M

Taylor $633k

Booker $833k

Here’s where we stand relative to the top 51 line as of right now:

IMG-5298.jpg

Adding Williams and Odunze will result in roughly a $9M total cap change (their two salaries add ~$11M on, but Kareem and Moore fall off), Amegadjie is a relative push with Cowart, and Taylor and Booker will be below the line thus having no impact on the cap once formally signed. That’ll put us at roughly $13M in cap space after all are signed, before any other moves.

Likewise, releasing Gill, Borom and Blasingame will have an adjusted cap impact in the other direction, since one of the contracts below the line would then slide back up into the equation.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Around the league...not including us because bias might have me saying we are #1 hahaha...

Top 3 Drafts

1. Pittsburgh

2. Kansas City

3 Philly (would be Washington but can't get on board with Daniels)

Bottom 3 Drafts

1. Atlanta

2. Tennessee

3. Denver  (A little temped by SF here)

Sneaky Good 3

1. LA Rams

2. Cincinnati

3. Tampa Bay

I don't think its just bias to put the Bears in the top 3.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I don't think its just bias to put the Bears in the top 3.  

Agreed. We drafted a QB many comp to Mahomes and Rodgers, and a WR comped to Fitzgerald and Chase. We could’ve drafted FF Bears Forum guys from there and still be considered potential top 3. 

22 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Around the league...not including us because bias might have me saying we are #1 hahaha...

Top 3 Drafts

1. Pittsburgh

2. Kansas City

3 Philly (would be Washington but can't get on board with Daniels)

Bottom 3 Drafts

1. Atlanta

2. Tennessee

3. Denver  (A little temped by SF here)

Sneaky Good 3

1. LA Rams

2. Cincinnati

3. Tampa Bay

I loved the Rams draft. I am a Verse guy, but Fiske is also a guy I was high on. Corum is a great fit with McVey. Kinchens seems like good value late in R3. Limmer and Tyler Davis are both guys I would have taken at least a round earlier. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. We drafted a QB many comp to Mahomes and Rodgers, and a WR comped to Fitzgerald and Chase. We could’ve drafted FF Bears Forum guys from there and still be considered potential top 3. 

The first two were the FF forum guys.  

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I loved the Rams draft. I am a Verse guy, but Fiske is also a guy I was high on. Corum is a great fit with McVey. Kinchens seems like good value late in R3. Limmer and Tyler Davis are both guys I would have taken at least a round earlier. 

I went and scouted Verse based on your rec and him being a likely pick for Bears if Odunze went earlier.  

While watching Verse, Fiske kept popping onto screen.  He is a good football player with a lot of upside.

I was really hoping Bears found a way to get him.

• Like 1

Underrated WTF draft for me - the 49ers.

Pearsall is a nice player but not at 31 and not over Legette or Mitchell or McConkey or Polk or Corley. I didn’t love the value on Green or Puni either, and they traded down with KC in R2. Mustapha is a nice get in R4 but that’s about all I liked. 

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Rams have been finding some guys in draft in recent years. Guys who didn’t get a lot of hype and were under radar or underrated by media analysts.  And with very few picks.   Been impressive.

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I mean posters from our forum. After those two they could’ve drafted me and you and still had a great draft. 

You know what’s funny.   Generally speaking this sub forums regulars have drafted better than Bears in terms of first two rounds over the years.

This has been a rare occasion where forum preferences aligned with reality.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soulman said:

I gotta think a few players will be released soon giving them an opportunity to catch on somewhere and save us some cap.  Borom would be one ($3.1 mil saved), Gill ($965k saved).  Then possibly Homer ($1.9 mil saved), Blasingame ($1.6 mil saved).  There seems to always be a way to create more cap space to add a deal or two once it comes down to it.

That's 7.6M in cuts right there, without having to kick the can down the road. I think that should be enough to sign a 1 year edge rusher (still a few stopgaps on the market including Ngakoue). But what Poles ultimately does is usually well disguised.

• Like 1