Third Round (No. 80): Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama

Third Round (No. 97): McKinnley Jackson, DT, Texas A&M

Fourth Round (No. 115): Erick All, TE, Iowa

Fifth Round (No. 149): Josh Newton, CB, TCU 

Sixth Round (No. 194): Tanner McLachlan, TE, Arizona

Sixth Round (No. 214): Cedric Johnson, DE, Ole Miss

Seventh Round (No. 224):Daijahn Anthony, DB, Ole Miss

Seventh Round (No. 237): Matt Lee, C, Miami

I would have taken Quinyon Mitchell at 18, but I totally get going after Mims and the upside there. A 6'8" 340 lb behometh that tested like an elite athlete. Literally Willie Anderson potential, just less proven in college.  That's worth taking the swing. He sat behind 2023 1st Rd pick Broderick Jones, so it's not like he was struggling to crack the starting lineup behind a future accountant. The reps he did get in college, he was as good as anyone, did not give up a single pressure or sack. Amarius Mims grade: A-

At 49 the board thinned a lot in rd 2. I think it would have been worth burning pick 80 to move up for Johnny Newton or Kool Aid McKinstry. But that's not what they did, but that opportunity cost does factor into my grade as I think that was the move to make. As for Jenkins, he has all the looks of a solid rotational DT. He's flashed pass rush upside, but he hasn't proven it, with some blaming Michigan's scheme. Given it was a top 50 pick, I expected more pass rush potential.  That said, Jenkins was an elite run defender in college, and with Hill and Rankins, he can provide reps on 1st and 2nd downs so they can at least not be leaned on with too many snaps. Long term, we're going to need him to rush the passer though, and that unknown is a risk. Kris Jenkins grade: C+

I don't mind Burton in the 3rd, I was just surprised they went with a bit of a character/maturity concern after the last few drafts. I would have rather taken the risk he was still available at 97 and burned 80 to trade up in the second, but the flip side is we do have another top 100 pick still. While not amongst the very most elite athletes, Burton is a step up athletically from Tyler Boyd (especially the Boyd of the past couple years who has lost a step) and does seem to be a solid catcher of contested balls. He should contend for the starting slot position, it'll be an interesting camp battle. However, Burton never really produced like a go to WR at Alabama despite playing with other elite prospects. There is also the maturity concerns, but we'll see if a strong locker room culture can mitigate that. Jermaine Burton grade: B-

We needed most depth, fair enough, and we didn't reach early like the Titans did for Sweat, but I'm still not all that excited about McKinley Jackson.  I guess he produced in college better than Tyler Shelving, but we also took him earlier than Shelving.  Felt like drafting for need other than taking the talent that was still available on the board. McKinley Jackson grade: C-

Given his injury history and adequate TE depth that we have in Gesicki, Sample, and Hudson, All at 125 felt like another reach.  All has an extensive injury history and I see no reason why that will improve going against NFL guys rep in and rep out.  He's flashed the potential throughout college, but he didn't test and we don't really know what kind of athlete he is at this point. I guess rd 4 is better than rd 2, but still not a big fan of this pick, it's probably a letter grade higher if we do it around later. Erick All grade: D+

Josh Newton was looked at as a potential first round pick heading into the 2023 season before having a bit of a down year, and is the kind of upside swing I like to take in rd 5. Tested as a slightly above average athlete, but has boundary experience and is an older draft pick, I could see him contending for CB4, although I'd still feel better if we brought in a veteran for that spot. Solid swing here. Josh Newton grade: B

Had we not taken All I probably would have been fine taking McLachlan, he has some decent speed a few cool highlights, but he seems destined for the practice squad this year and I really didn't see us doubling up at TE. Maybe All will hit the PUP or the IR and we manage it that way. Tanner McLachlan grade: C

Cedric Johnson is a good athlete with size/speed to work with. Likely a practice squad guy with the depth we have (Hendrickson isn't going anywhere and I don't see him walking away from $36 million over the next two years to retire). I like the swing on an elite athlete this late. Cedric Johnson grade: B

We're super deep at safety this year and there were other guys I liked better than Anthony. A little undersized, a slightly above average athlete, who didn't do all that much in college, seems like practice squad fodder. Daijahn Anthony grade: D+

Honestly, I would have been happier with Matt Lee at 97 than McKinley Jackson. A very good athlete who had a nice run in college. Keeping size on is really his biggest red flag, but even then he plays with good functional strength and graded out very well at Miami. Matt Lee grade: A-

Overall I have mixed feelings about this draft class. I liked the swing on Mims, and Jenkins seems like a safe high floor rotational DT. After that a whole lot of uncertainty and risk I wasn't too thrilled about. Could have maybe got a hem late in Matt Lee who I think beats out Trey Hill for the backup C spot.

Overall draft grade: B-

33 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I would have taken Quinyon Mitchell at 18, but I totally get going after Mims and the upside there. A 6'8" 340 lb behometh that tested like an elite athlete. Literally Willie Anderson potential, just less proven in college.  That's worth taking the swing. He sat behind 2023 1st Rd pick Broderick Jones, so it's not like he was struggling to crack the starting lineup behind a future accountant. The reps he did get in college, he was as good as anyone, did not give up a single pressure or sack. Amarius Mims grade: A-

At 49 the board thinned a lot in rd 2. I think it would have been worth burning pick 80 to move up for Johnny Newton or Kool Aid McKinstry. But that's not what they did, but that opportunity cost does factor into my grade as I think that was the move to make. As for Jenkins, he has all the looks of a solid rotational DT. He's flashed pass rush upside, but he hasn't proven it, with some blaming Michigan's scheme. Given it was a top 50 pick, I expected more pass rush potential.  That said, Jenkins was an elite run defender in college, and with Hill and Rankins, he can provide reps on 1st and 2nd downs so they can at least not be leaned on with too many snaps. Long term, we're going to need him to rush the passer though, and that unknown is a risk. Kris Jenkins grade: C+

I don't mind Burton in the 3rd, I was just surprised they went with a bit of a character/maturity concern after the last few drafts. I would have rather taken the risk he was still available at 97 and burned 80 to trade up in the second, but the flip side is we do have another top 100 pick still. While not amongst the very most elite athletes, Burton is a step up athletically from Tyler Boyd (especially the Boyd of the past couple years who has lost a step) and does seem to be a solid catcher of contested balls. He should contend for the starting slot position, it'll be an interesting camp battle. However, Burton never really produced like a go to WR at Alabama despite playing with other elite prospects. There is also the maturity concerns, but we'll see if a strong locker room culture can mitigate that. Jermaine Burton grade: B-

We needed most depth, fair enough, and we didn't reach early like the Titans did for Sweat, but I'm still not all that excited about McKinley Jackson.  I guess he produced in college better than Tyler Shelving, but we also took him earlier than Shelving.  Felt like drafting for need other than taking the talent that was still available on the board. McKinley Jackson grade: C-

Given his injury history and adequate TE depth that we have in Gesicki, Sample, and Hudson, All at 125 felt like another reach.  All has an extensive injury history and I see no reason why that will improve going against NFL guys rep in and rep out.  He's flashed the potential throughout college, but he didn't test and we don't really know what kind of athlete he is at this point. I guess rd 4 is better than rd 2, but still not a big fan of this pick, it's probably a letter grade higher if we do it around later. Erick All grade: D+

Josh Newton was looked at as a potential first round pick heading into the 2023 season before having a bit of a down year, and is the kind of upside swing I like to take in rd 5. Tested as a slightly above average athlete, but has boundary experience and is an older draft pick, I could see him contending for CB4, although I'd still feel better if we brought in a veteran for that spot. Solid swing here. Josh Newton grade: B

Had we not taken All I probably would have been fine taking McLachlan, he has some decent speed a few cool highlights, but he seems destined for the practice squad this year and I really didn't see us doubling up at TE. Maybe All will hit the PUP or the IR and we manage it that way. Tanner McLachlan grade: C

Cedric Johnson is a good athlete with size/speed to work with. Likely a practice squad guy with the depth we have (Hendrickson isn't going anywhere and I don't see him walking away from $36 million over the next two years to retire). I like the swing on an elite athlete this late. Cedric Johnson grade: B

We're super deep at safety this year and there were other guys I liked better than Anthony. A little undersized, a slightly above average athlete, who didn't do all that much in college, seems like practice squad fodder. Daijahn Anthony grade: D+

Honestly, I would have been happier with Matt Lee at 97 than McKinley Jackson. A very good athlete who had a nice run in college. Keeping size on is really his biggest red flag, but even then he plays with good functional strength and graded out very well at Miami. Matt Lee grade: A-

Overall I have mixed feelings about this draft class. I liked the swing on Mims, and Jenkins seems like a safe high floor rotational DT. After that a whole lot of uncertainty and risk I wasn't too thrilled about. Could have maybe got a hem late in Matt Lee who I think beats out Trey Hill for the backup C spot.

Overall draft grade: B-

Anthony is a ballhawk.  And if you didn't catch the other news of the weekend, Dax is heading to the CB room.  Anderson is probably better, but he can't stay healthy.

I like the Jenkins pick.  They needed a run stopper more than a 3t, so I was fine sitting at 49 for him, opposed to moving up for Newton.  I would have loved Newton if they did it though.

Jackson was literally the last true NT left.  There were several teams that took guys way earlier that they were slotted because the cupboard was about empty.  Jackson was our version.

I loved the Burton pick, especially in the third.  If he can keep his head straight, this is a homerun pick.  Plus if they give him #3, he gets the 5-1-3 trifecta completed.

Mims was a great pick.  He's also athletic enough to play LT in the future if he works out the way I think he will.

All was the second best TE, when healthy.  Obviously health is the concern, but if he can stay healthy, he could be a great value pick.  Start him on PUP.

Newton was solid.  So was Johnson, if for nothing else but depth.  

Posted (edited)

I think this was an ok draft. Might have been some different choices I would have made but I'm not one to sit here and claim my opinion is law. A few things stand out a bit for me. First is two tight ends. I think we were probably ok without drafting any from a pure numbers perspective, so I'm very surprised they went with two. Does this mean they want to do more multi RE sets this year? Is Sample going to play a lot of fullback maybe? Or is it just covering for drafting the high upside guy with questionable health.

Really late corner pick then it comes out that Hill is moving to corner. This may be the move that makes it breaks the season. Top three corners are CTB, Hill and Turner? That's not much experience or pedigree. Good thing we have high level safety play hopefully.

I am way too content with Matt Lee. He wasn't even on my radar since he seems small and probably center only, so I wasn't looking that way at all, and now I'm writing him down as a future starter guaranteed and he's a seventh round pick. Big change from where I was ready to draft center as early as 49 and be happy about it. 

Edited by Beck Bristow

I like the Mims and Burton picks. They're gambles on upside but imo are likely to pay off. I would have waited at NT. Jenkins is ok but he's undersized and maybe already maxed out. Jackson was taken a couple rounds too early. We could have taken Kristian Boyd in round 5 or Evan Anderson or Justin Rogers in round 7 as our second NT. So we missed on a better CB as well as the RBs and LBs. We don't really need more bodies at DE or Safety. 

6 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I would agree with that, but when i say he was #2 on their board, that's coming from the team's front office directly.  Either way, Sinnot and All were amongst the best all around guys with higher RAS scores.

All didn't test

• Like 1

All was a poor pick, especially when you look at who else could have been taken. So was Jackson at 97. Even ignoring his injury problems, All left Michigan because he would have lost his starting job to a young and better player. He flashed for a few games last year at Iowa, then tore his ACL.