Top 10 teams for 2024

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Zeitler was a pro bowler just last season 😂 Christian Mahogany was a projected 3rd round OL who the Lions got in round 6. With OL coach Hank Fraley,  I could see him starting next season, hence “easing in”. 

I don’t see one game as “passed by” but I get it the hopefulness from your fans. Like I said, I see your team on the rise. 

Our biggest improvement will come from losing no one of significance and bringing back a hungry team with laser focus (including Ben Johnson). 

Goff is working on an extension. I think it’ll be around 2-3 years. If they can’t get it worked out, there is always a franchise tag which if I read correctly, would be around $40 million. We will get a chance to see what Hendon Hooker has this training camp and preseason.

Regarding Zeitler, father time is still undefeated. You are going to find that out with him this season. Mahogany was drafted in the six round. The experts in their field passed on him 209 times before his name was called. Doesn't mean he can't or won't turn into a good player, but the TV "experts," clearly overvalued him, by a lot. If you are penciling him in this season as a starter at some point, you might be a bit overzealous in your talent evaluation. I get it though, we're all fans and this is the season where everybody has a chance. I do put the Lions in the category of a team having a chance for sure. 

As for Goff, he's had a couple of nice seasons, but is he the guy that can get you over the hump? Time will tell. I wish the Lions well, except when they are playing Green Bay of course. 

BTW, kudos to the city of Detroit for the job with the draft. Obviously, it was hugely successful. 

Edited by Old Guy

Lions will be a good challenge for us. We beat them good in the 2nd matchup, which I think is a better indicator than the earlier matchup.

I expect Love to be that much better, especially after reports he is working even harder this offseason. A little more chemistry with the recievers, a bit more protection from OLine, a better run game (mostly better run blocking) and I think we may see one of the best offenses in the NFL.

Big question is defense. Some key additions at Safety will be a big boost, but not as impactful as a new DC. Only Jaire and Clark are getting into the declining age bracket, but I didn't notice dropoff last season. Most everyone else is young and ascending.

I'm thinking top 3 in the NFL, but yeah, I tend to look on the optimistic side of ebmvery factor. We went toe to toe with the NFC champ and were close to winning. I think we clear the hump this season and are in the SB.

Obviously I'm a homer but...

The Lions started off 8-2 and finished 6-4. The Lions gave up ~26 PPG after their bye (12 games).

The Packers started off 3-6 and finished 7-3. The Packers gave up ~21 PPG their last 12 games.

The Packers were winning by 4 at the two minute warning in their playoff loss to SF. The Lions were down 10 at the same point.

Half way through last season there wouldn't have been any debate at all about what team was looking better moving forward. The fact that it's reasonable now to debate that question is a good thing. 

• Like 2