Expectations for the draft haul

Big T

1. LT Fashanu.....Should be starting, but will see mop up duty if a LT/RT goes down. This means he's going to see the field.

2. WR/Slot Corley....Slot is where he played in college and I don't expect to see him anywhere else, however he's supposed to be Debo light.

3.RB Allen.... I expect of all the draft choices Allen will see the most time as a counter punch to B.H.

4.Qb Travis.... May not see the field for the next 2 years.

5.RB Davis..... The only head scratcher IMHO, rumor is he is an elite special teams player, and even so, drafting him in the 5th round?

6. CB/S Stiggers..... Could wind up being the steal of the draft, tons of talent and potential

7. S Keys..... Mr. Irrelevant.... Guess the Jets saw something, and he comes from a good program

Here's the crux of it, the draft on the whole is promising, but of all the players drafted which will contribute the soonest? IMHO it will be the top 3 Fashanu, Corley, and Allen. The 3 of them because of the "need" will see or should see major playing time. 

So what does this say about the state of the team? With the exception of the final 3 picks of the draft, the Jets "HAD" to draft these players and because of that the Jets did not have the luxury of drafting the BPA whoever that might have been. 

This leaves the Jets in a peculiar situation going into next seasons draft class. Depending on where they draft the first 2 needs will mirror this years draft. They will need another T as well as another WR and perhaps a G as well, and as much as I give kudos to JD for the job he's done filling the OL with more than capable players. They are old and injury prone.

So all we can hope for is a relatively injury free season, where AR can shine, the Offense flourish both in the running game and passing and that our OC shows he knows what he is doing.

So next years draft will have needs to fill and needs that need to come in and make an immediate impact at T/G/WR....J.D. if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat this year and make the playoffs and beyond will be assured of another contract. To be sure he has made his mistakes, but on the whole he's done a "B" type Job as G.M.

1. Fashanu should be seen a bulk of action as a rookie. Once he starts he should remain there until he gets hurt.  This move will save Jets some $$$ by not playing Tyron Smith to full detail.

2. Corley should get more reps than Lazard at slot as the season progresses.  However, hot hands will affect game weekly.

3. Allen is young and fresh to abuse if necessary.   He could be next LaMont Jordan.

4. Travis is in a development program but he turns 24 tomorrow. Fans need to leave "Start Travis Now" chanting at home for 2 years no matter what. It won't keep Jets from 1st round consideration in 2025.

5.  Davis is no special team contributor.  I have no idea why he is.  He is a perfect ideal for short yardage or goal line situation. He may either on the squad or PS.

6. Stiggers should stay on outside.

7. Key is among of newcomers for filling out safety room. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big T said:

5.RB Davis..... The only head scratcher IMHO, rumor is he is an elite special teams player, and even so, drafting him in the 5th round?

This has to be a gift to Boyer.  With the KO rule change, maybe he contributes in that way.

2 hours ago, Big T said:

Depending on where they draft the first 2 needs will mirror this years draft. They will need another T as well as another WR and perhaps a G as well, and as much as I give kudos to JD for the job he's done filling the OL with more than capable players. They are old and injury prone.

Yeah, we will pretty much need a day 1 WR.  Maybe Warren shows promise to play RT.  I like the plan, though.  Get good yet older vets to start and draft their replacements high in the draft at the key positions (in this case LT).  Next year should be WR.  We won't be cap strapped by doing this.  JD tried for younger, less proven players on the OL in FA, but it has not worked out at all.

34 minutes ago, xrade said:

This has to be a gift to Boyer.  With the KO rule change, maybe he contributes in that way.

Exactly what?  Long Snapper?  Boyer had zero influence on taking Davis.

I think a kep point you guys are missing is that JD kicked some of those draft picks to 2025 which I love. We really only needed depth guys this year so moving picks to next year was great. They got a 3rd round pick from the Lions in 2025. 

I expect Olu to start 2-3 games at either OT spot, think he’ll hold up fine in pass pro but he needs to get a little bigger(10-15lbs) and work on his Run Block technique.

Malachi I think becomes the starting Slot by week 6-8, think they’ll bring him along slowly and start the season with Lazard as the starting slot to begin the year while they work him in with some package plays.

Allen I actually expect to have a bigger role than most think, I believe this is going to be a balanced offense with more of an emphasis on the run, Breece will obviously get the Lions share of touches but Allen will get a healthy amount and will be a nice complement to Breece.

Travis will sit and develop, not much to go into this.

Isaiah Davis was a PFF darling and was solid from what I’ve seen and read at SDS. Feels like he’s comp for Izzy and seems like an insurance policy at RB

Stiggers might be my favorite pick, with the development of MC2 and Tony Adams it makes me believe like he could develop into a Starting Caliber CB and the possible Reed replacement. We have to start hitting on these mid round Guys as some of our Core guys become eligible for extensions.

Key idk could be a guy could not be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Exactly what?  Long Snapper?  Boyer had zero influence on taking Davis.

I’m trying to rationalize the pick. 

Olumuyiwa Fashanu - I honestly don't care if he sees the field at all this year. He's 21. What would be interesting is if Smith actually stays healthy and if we're willing to resign him and push Olu to RT in 2025. 

Malachi Corley - He has the talent to be used like Deebo or Jeremy Kerley in year 1. I'm only expecting 300-450yds total from him. He'll eventually grow into a 700yd+ level WR. 

Braelon Allen - He's going to be the redzone back. 5tds wouldn't surprise me. He reads blocks like Le'Veon Bell, so I think it will take some time to get rolling. 

Jordan Travis - Possible 2 year sit. Probably in the best situation we've ever put a rookie QB in to learn from Rodgers and Taylor. Just need to see how good of a deep passer he can become. 

Isaiah Davis - Will probably be on the practice squad, but does have good potential. I just don't see him beating Izzy or Allen this year. Valladay and Patrick are both interesting prospects as well. 

Qwan'tez Stiggers - Special teams, but will eventually get some reps behind Reed and Oliver. 

Jaylen Key - Another safety developing into a LB/Special teams. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Rookie numbers are in

Corley: 17

Fashanu: 74

Allen: 0

Davis: 32

Key: 33

Stiggers: 37

Travis: 3

I hate the number 0 on a player. Just looks strange to me. 

2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I hate the number 0 on a player. Just looks strange to me. 

Think it looks lit, reminds me of the longest yard

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2024 at 4:05 PM, Dr.O said:

I expect Olu to start 2-3 games at either OT spot, think he’ll hold up fine in pass pro but he needs to get a little bigger(10-15lbs) and work on his Run Block technique.

Malachi I think becomes the starting Slot by week 6-8, think they’ll bring him along slowly and start the season with Lazard as the starting slot to begin the year while they work him in with some package plays.

Allen I actually expect to have a bigger role than most think, I believe this is going to be a balanced offense with more of an emphasis on the run, Breece will obviously get the Lions share of touches but Allen will get a healthy amount and will be a nice complement to Breece.

Travis will sit and develop, not much to go into this.

Isaiah Davis was a PFF darling and was solid from what I’ve seen and read at SDS. Feels like he’s comp for Izzy and seems like an insurance policy at RB

Stiggers might be my favorite pick, with the development of MC2 and Tony Adams it makes me believe like he could develop into a Starting Caliber CB and the possible Reed replacement. We have to start hitting on these mid round Guys as some of our Core guys become eligible for extensions.

Key idk could be a guy could not be.

I agree with this mostly. I like the idea of stashing Jordan and letting him learn as well as getting a LT in the first. Smith is great but hasn't played a full season in YEARS so that was the smart, un-sexy pick. 

Malachi may get more yards than that just because of the way he runs with recklessly and looks for contact. He will get blown up doing this at some point this year but I bet he lays the wood on some DBs. 

Allen is very interesting because if he can be Lamont Jordan, as another poster said, that would be great! He was one of my favorite Jets back in the day spelling Martin. 

Davis seems like injury insurance/ Special teams ace

Stiggers could turn into a Reed replacement if we can't keep him around. Fingers crossed there.

Key is special teams again and rounds out the safety room