2024 Vikings 53-Man "Final" Roster

For those that can't see, he only projects 5 WRs (from a discussion in another thread here), cutting Sherfield. 

Other surprises include:

Cutting Jurgens, keeping Feeney

Cutting Gabe Murphy, Roy, Richter and Porter, keeping Levi Drake Rodriguez

Jurgens has to take the swing IOL job from Feeney to get a spot on the 53 man roster. Until he does, I see him as a practice squad guy. 

I’d be shocked if the team keeps both Jones and Ward over Murphy or Richter. With Greenard, Turner, and Van Ginkel there is no point in keeping two average at best vets who are only signed through 2024 over one or two promising rookies. 

Also, there’s no sense in cutting Roy. He’s the only legit backup they’ve got for Harrison Phillips at nose tackle. 

• Like 3

Another opinion...

This one, they keep 6 WRs, but only 9 OL in exchange...also cutting Jurgens.  He also has Porter and Richter cut in favor of Ward and Jones, but keeps Murphy.  And he also cuts Roy, which I can't see happening either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I just don’t see the point of keeping both Ward AND Jones. Keep one, sure. But to me they feel redundant. 

The only point to keeping Jones is that he is versatile and they could play him both at Edge and on the line on 3rd downs. 

QB (3): Darnold, McCarthy, Mullens
RB (4): Jones, Chandler, Nwangwu, Ham
WR (6): Jefferson, Addison, Nailor, Powell, Jackson, Sherfield 
TE (3): Oliver, Mundt, Muse
OL (9): Darrisaw, Brandel, Bradbury, Ingram, O’Neill, Quessenberry, Risner, Feeney, Rouse

DL (5): Bullard, Phillips, Tillery, Rodriquez, Roy
ED (6): Greenard, Turner, Van Ginkel, Ward, Murphy, Richter
LB (3): Pace, Cashman, Grugier-Hill
CB (6): Murphy, Griffin, Evans, Moreau, Wright, McGlothern
S (5): Smith, Bynum, Metellus, Jackson, McCain

ST (3): Reichard, Wright, DePaola

A couple of notes:

I think the team keeps 9 WR/TE. With Hockenson likely starting the season on the PUP, I don’t see a TE4 worth rostering over one of the WRs. Once Hock returns, then I think they’ve got a decision to make as to whether they keep TE4 or WR6.

Most of the players at the end of each position group are likely guys who will be inactive on the game day roster, so I’m far more inclined to keep young guys that I wouldn’t want to expose to waivers than I am to keep JAG vets. Especially considering that this season seems to be designed more for setting up 2025 and beyond. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

who do you drop if they sign Gilmore?

Probably cut Moreau. Unless Griffin’s injury is problematic. Moreau was a vet signed after Blackmon’s and Griffin’s injury. If they sign Gilmore, then Gilmore is that vet, with Moreau being a placeholder/insurance. 

• Like 3

Robert Tonyan may have been the biggest surprise during the Minnesota Vikings spring minicamps, but as the seasons changed, the former Green Bay Packers star may be on the chopping block.

The Athletic’s Alec Lewis released his latest roster predictions on August 12, two weeks before the 53-man roster deadline on August 27, and predicted Tonyan will be cut with T.J. Hockenson‘s return ahead of schedule and Nick Muse flashing in the preseason.

Lewis: “The Vikings have not been shy about the fact that they believe Hockenson is ahead of schedule. He isn’t likely to be ready for Week 1, but he might not need much more time after that. Still, the Vikings won’t rush his rehab In the meantime, his absence will allow Minnesota to keep Mundt, Oliver and Muse. Tonyan and N’Keal Harry have looked promising at times, but Muse has a connection with J.J. McCarthy that feels relevant.”

Tonyan, 30, has lost ground in the tight-end room after suffering back spasms at the beginning of training camp on July 31. Head coach Kevin O’Connell expressed hopes of seeing Tonyan play in the preseason, however, he did not dress for the Vikings’ 24-23 victory over the Las Vegas Raiders on August 10.

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/robert-tonyan-breakout-roster-cut-rumors

This isn't the first preseason that Muse has flashed either. At this point I'd cut Tonyan and spread those TE reps to those that remain.

I'd like to think that a TE room of Oliver, Mundt, and Muse could more than keep us afloat during Hock's absence.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

QB (3): Darnold, McCarthy, Mullens
RB (4): Jones, Chandler, Nwangwu, Ham
WR (6): Jefferson, Addison, Nailor, Powell, Jackson, Sherfield 
TE (3): Oliver, Mundt, Muse
OL (9): Darrisaw, Brandel, Bradbury, Ingram, O’Neill, Quessenberry, Risner, Feeney, Rouse

DL (5): Bullard, Phillips, Tillery, Rodriquez, Roy
ED (6): Greenard, Turner, Van Ginkel, Ward, Murphy, Richter
LB (3): Pace, Cashman, Grugier-Hill
CB (6): Murphy, Griffin, Evans, Moreau, Wright, McGlothern
S (5): Smith, Bynum, Metellus, Jackson, McCain

ST (3): Reichard, Wright, DePaola

A couple of notes:

I think the team keeps 9 WR/TE. With Hockenson likely starting the season on the PUP, I don’t see a TE4 worth rostering over one of the WRs. Once Hock returns, then I think they’ve got a decision to make as to whether they keep TE4 or WR6.

Most of the players at the end of each position group are likely guys who will be inactive on the game day roster, so I’m far more inclined to keep young guys that I wouldn’t want to expose to waivers than I am to keep JAG vets. Especially considering that this season seems to be designed more for setting up 2025 and beyond. 

I agree with keeping 6 WRs ideally and only 3 TEs.  I would not mind cutting Muse at all assuming Mundt is solid and if not him Tonyan if he can ever get on the field and see who is better between he and Mundt.

Jackson and Sherfield both looked really solid game one of the preseason, they are well worth keeping around and providing depth and ability to go 4 wide pretty easily.  Nailor's improvement has helped that WR room as well.

By far the worst part of the roster right now is CB.  Even Murphy who is by far their best did not have a great preseason game one honestly.  Curious how much money they have around to spend on a CB.   Sadly they already gave Griffin what $4.5 mil for one year, we will see if he can even get on the field and stay healthy.

Adoree’ Jackson
Stephon Gilmore
Ahkello Witherspoon

These three CBs are all still out there in free agency.  Obviously they brought in Gilmore, really surprised no one is taking Witherspoon after a solid year for the Rams.  With how much the Vikings like tall CBs he could be good and cheap, sure they brought over Wright but Witherspoon is far more accomplished than Wright has ever been.  Gilmore is a star but very old also and getting to the end of his career.  Adoree is a great athlete, little loose in coverage but can run extremely well and react to the football, but he is probably the most expensive out of this group of three.

PS no shocker Chandon Sullivan is also on that list of unsigned free agent CBs in the NFL 😁

With how great Jurgens looked first game of the preseason, it would be really hard to cut him I think.  But keeping five backup OL does seem odd, maybe cut Quessenberry and keep Jurgens and have Rouse play either OT spot if need be because he needs the work and has the talent.  And Asamoah did not look awful first preseason game and if he keeps showing up, keeping him over Grugier-Hill makes sense, Grugier-Hill did not show up much I thought but maybe that will change.  

Plenty of choices, losing guys like Andre Carter would stink but maybe he could sneak on the practice squad but I doubt it.  

@Ozzy pulling part of your post from the JJ thread here:

"If McCarthy was healthy though honestly I thought they should only keep two QBs on the active roster, but now they almost have to keep 3 on the active roster."

I still think they roll with two, Darnold and, at this point, Mullens. Hall can likely be sent to the PS as the 3rd QB. I don't see the point in wasting a spot on a 3rd QB when there are a lot of battles going on for those final roster spots.

Hall would need to dramatically improve over the next two plus weeks - at least from what the fans are able to see. He looked awful against the Raiders.

I know I'm in the minority but Mullens can at least move the ball and has that gunslinger mentality. That gives you a shot IMO, much better than the Sean Mannion's and Shaun Hill's of the world.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

@Ozzy pulling part of your post from the JJ thread here:

"If McCarthy was healthy though honestly I thought they should only keep two QBs on the active roster, but now they almost have to keep 3 on the active roster."

I still think they roll with two, Darnold and, at this point, Mullens. Hall can likely be sent to the PS as the 3rd QB. I don't see the point in wasting a spot on a 3rd QB when there are a lot of battles going on for those final roster spots.

Hall would need to dramatically improve over the next two plus weeks - at least from what the fans are able to see. He looked awful against the Raiders.

I know I'm in the minority but Mullens can at least move the ball and has that gunslinger mentality. That gives you a shot IMO, much better than the Sean Mannion's and Shaun Hill's of the world.

Response that I had to Ozzy in the other thread...

Mullens was always going to be kept around because he had the veteran experience that Hall does not have.  And really, I didn't like what I saw from Hall last game, as I'm not sure he has progressed all that much...in fact, he may have regressed some.  I was really hoping that he was going to look like he could eventually be a long-term backup, but I just don't see it right now. 

I'm with you in that I don't think it changes, I'm fairly confident that they'll just ride with Darnold and Mullens now, instead of carrying 3 QBs on the active roster.  So, with McCarthy's injury, that solely means that they'll now likely keep an extra offensive lineman or defensive lineman rather than a 3rd QB.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Response that I had to Ozzy in the other thread...

Mullens was always going to be kept around because he had the veteran experience that Hall does not have.  And really, I didn't like what I saw from Hall last game, as I'm not sure he has progressed all that much...in fact, he may have regressed some.  I was really hoping that he was going to look like he could eventually be a long-term backup, but I just don't see it right now. 

Mullen's is great...unless he has to play.  I hope Darnold stays healthy and doesn't miss a snap all season.