2024 Vikings 53-Man "Final" Roster

Just now, Captain Relax said:

Mullen's is great...unless he has to play.  I hope Darnold stays healthy and doesn't miss a snap all season.

At least in Mullens' case it wouldn't be as ugly as watching a Kellen Mond or Sean Mannion.  Yes, there would be lots of TOs, but he can at least move the ball.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

At least in Mullens' case it wouldn't be as ugly as watching a Kellen Mond or Sean Mannion.  Yes, there would be lots of TOs, but he can at least move the ball.

There would also be a lot of ill timed interceptions.  My beef with Mullens is that he believes his arm is better then it is.  

I think he does a great job supporting the starter...he's a good teammate...he can move the ball...but, dang does he throw some bad incompletions and interceptions.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Response that I had to Ozzy in the other thread...

I'm with you in that I don't think it changes, I'm fairly confident that they'll just ride with Darnold and Mullens now, instead of carrying 3 QBs on the active roster.  So, with McCarthy's injury, that solely means that they'll now likely keep an extra offensive lineman or defensive lineman rather than a 3rd QB.

True but they can only do that if McCarthy starts out the season on IR correct.  Once he is off IR what do you do with Mullens, I assume they have to keep 3 when McCarthy comes back off IR because who knows if McCarthy will be ready if Darnold goes down...

7 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

There would also be a lot of ill timed interceptions.  My beef with Mullens is that he believes his arm is better then it is.  

I think he does a great job supporting the starter...he's a good teammate...he can move the ball...but, dang does he throw some bad incompletions and interceptions.

Very true, those interceptions he throws are total killers.  And I am sure some QBs will be cut, Bailey Zappe is likely cut because no way on earth they cut Milton or Maye and I assume they keep Brissett because of his age.  

So Zappe alone I would take over Mullens because he is younger.  However sure most backup QBs throw a lot of INTs.  Sure there will be more decent QBs around potentially as well who could be cut.  CJ Beathard could be cut on the Jaguars, Eagles could cut Tanner McKee etc.

If the Vikings are comfortable with Mullens then sure he works, wish it was Hall but he seems to be affected by his height quite a bit but will have plenty of chances the next two preseason games to show what he can do.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but they can only do that if McCarthy starts out the season on IR correct.  Once he is off IR what do you do with Mullens, I assume they have to keep 3 when McCarthy comes back off IR because who knows if McCarthy will be ready if Darnold goes down...

Don't you get 3 or 4 weeks to move them to the active roster once they're declared off of IR?

Regardless it is all speculation until we find out what type of recovery timeline JJ is facing.

• Like 1

Guys who could be cut:

Michael Jurgens
Andre Carter II
Patrick Jones
Jonah Williams
Najee Thompson
Jay Ward
James Lynch
Robert Tonyan
Brian Asamoah
Owen Porter
Nick Muse
Jaren Hall
Lewis Cine
Doug Nester
Jalen Redmond
Dewayne McBride

The two top I might have an issue with, Jurgens especially.  Carter it seems very likely especially considering Patrick Jones is also probably cut.  Still wish they would move Ward to more of a 3/4 DE spot but looks like they want him as a standup OLB.  Also really curious if Van Ginkel can play ILB in that system and I feel he easily could as a backup when need be, especially considering he could be on the bench with Greenard and Turner the starting edge guys.  

Assuming these guys make it:

Trent Sherfield
Trishton Jackson
Dan Feeney
Gabriel Murphy
David Quessenberry
Nick Mullens
Bo Ritcher
Johnny Mundt
Kamu Grugier-Hill

The top four no question should make it, maybe Jurgens over Feeney but with Feeney's experience that could be risky but maybe worth it.  Quessenberry let go and keeping Jurgens I would be totally fine with, and let Rouse play LT or RT backup.  Ritcher and Murphy no question should keep, especially over Jones and probably over Carter but it is close on Carter because of his upside, Carter is still only 24.  

CB is still an issue and will be curious what Wright looks like, McGlothern will probably take his spot I would assume and be ahead of him but we will see.

Edited by Ozzy

56 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think it's fairly likely that he starts out the season on IR.  If and when he does come back, then yes, you roll with 3 QBs at that time and they'll decide what roster move to make at that time.  We have no idea what other injuries will occur, so it may be easier at that time to decide who to cut off the 53-man roster.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Very true, those interceptions he throws are total killers.  And I am sure some QBs will be cut, Bailey Zappe is likely cut because no way on earth they cut Milton or Maye and I assume they keep Brissett because of his age.  

So Zappe alone I would take over Mullens because he is younger.  However sure most backup QBs throw a lot of INTs.  Sure there will be more decent QBs around potentially as well who could be cut.  CJ Beathard could be cut on the Jaguars, Eagles could cut Tanner McKee etc.

If the Vikings are comfortable with Mullens then sure he works, wish it was Hall but he seems to be affected by his height quite a bit but will have plenty of chances the next two preseason games to show what he can do.

If I were the Patriots, I'd cut Milton.  I just can't see anyone picking him up when he can't really play QB, because he can't pass.  He's just a more famous version of those last 2 QBs we saw the Raiders play.  🤣  He needs a lot of development time before he'd even be a competent QB. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If I were the Patriots, I'd cut Milton.  I just can't see anyone picking him up when he can't really play QB, because he can't pass.  He's just a more famous version of those last 2 QBs we saw the Raiders play.  🤣  He needs a lot of development time before he'd even be a competent QB. 

I kind of thought that of him coming out, but watching that first preseason game for them, that dude can obviously throw the football and is one hell of a runner something he did not do a ton of at Tennessee or even in college despite being 6-5 245.

Sure maybe he would not workout but honestly no way another team does not pick him up if he is cut and I doubt he would be able to make the Patriots practice squad.

In terms of arm talent, size and strength there is basically no backup developmental QB like him in the league.  Someone will have him on their active roster as a 3rd QB is my guess when the season starts.  For the Patriots to cut Milton for Zappe who has way less physical skills and talent seems odd.

Raiders are one team that would pick him up in a 2nd considering their current QB room.  

I really didn't want Mullens on the 53, but with McCarthy's injury and Hall's seeming lack of development, it looks to me like the team will need to keep Mullens around. Hall has some work to do to convince me that the team should keep him on the roster.

I am not particularly happy about how things have turned out, but good for Mullens and Darnold. Hopefully they can play in such a way that I'll be cheered up about how things have turned out in the QB room. It looks like they will have the opportunity to do that. At this point, I would rather go with Darnold and Mullens than trade away a 6th+ round pick to bring in a QB barely hanging onto another team's roster. It would be way too much '25 dead money for the Falcons to even consider so there is no way they would trade away Kirk, but as a fan of the Vikings I wouldn't be opposed to trading for him.

Alas, I'm rooting for Darnold and Mullens.

9 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Let's keep this thread focused on the Vikings 53-man roster.

It has everything to do with the Vikings 53 man roster if they do indeed decide to bring in a promising QB someone else cuts.  It has more to do with if one dislikes the upside or potential of Nick Mullens and Jaren Hall then one has to bring in someone else because why not if they are literally cut.

Outside of Joe Milton there is also Trey Lance/ Cooper Rush, not sure they keep both honestly but would be kind of nuts if they cut them both.  Sam Hartman could be cut possibly by Washington, I would be all over bringing him in.  Michael Pratt on Green Bay but I doubt the Packers cut him because Clifford is just so so long term.  Kedon Slovis is another I would maybe bring in.  Stidham or Zach Wilson could be cut so there is another potential there with either one.  And he is a long shot but Tanner Mordecai, I would not mind him either.  

Again it is a long shot but say Zach Wilson is cut by Denver and they start Nix obviously with Stidham as the backup, I would take Zach Wilson over Nick Mullens.  Oh who cares Mullens is just a backup but he could easily be the starter, not sure Darnold could make it through an entire season without getting hurt in some regard.

Things happen in the NFL, Matthew Judon a very accomplished edge rusher was just traded for a 3rd round pick!  Now unless he is crazy hurt and nothing like he used to be off of injury, Falcons got a total steal and filled a massive need with that.  Sadly Vikings have barely any picks to start with for next years draft so not much moving they will do most likely.  And they probably should not go trade for a QB but if a good one is cut why not.