Najee NO 5th yr Option

7 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

It's not really contradictory

It is when it’s three different points rolled into one instead of the three thoughts I’m presenting it as. 

1 - Not being sure of Najee’s fit and wanting to see him in the system before committing to him is not an out of pocket thought. Teams do it all the time when a guy is cut/traded a year after a new coach arrived (sometimes the year they show up). 

2 - Being ok tagging him has more to do with if he performs to expectations than the actual contract. I look at it this way: having to use the transition tag is a $3mm bet that he’s going to be a great and perfect fit with no downside should he not work out. 

3 - The thoughts of contract are absolutely unrelated to both things up above, more why I don’t like tying fully guaranteed money to a RB in advance. I personally feel with RBs that you should always build an easy out. So completely unrelated to both above issues. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

If you're on the hook for 7 mill next year no matter what happens

Let’s do the math on your own deal. I don’t see anyway that Najee and his team would accept that but let’s humor the idea. 

You are offering a 3 year, $15M contract extension with $6M guaranteed. That equates to, in NFL terms, 1 year $6M, with a team option for $4.5M/season over the next two 

So effectively it’s a 1 year, $6M contract 

The option you are against is a 1 year, $6.8M contract. 

You’re drawing the line at $800k in a world where that’s like 3 nickels you found in your couch. 

That’s why it’s contradictory. Sign the extension and you’re - in your words -  “on the hook” for $6M immediately, no matter what happens. 

You don’t care about the guaranteed money - your deal offer is exactly the same. You just want a deal that screws over the player. And I don’t mean that rudely, but your willing to take the same exact guarantees you mention your against, just provided it’s terms no player/agent would agree to. 

6 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Let him play 4 games or whatever (I have no clue off the top of my head when the deadline is for getting a deal done in-season), and if it is great, re-sign him.

The deadline is the last day of the off-season. The Steelers have a long standing precedent of not doing extensions in-seasons. Khan himself has said that’s a tradition he has no intention of breaking. This isn’t happening. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 6:33 PM, Dcash4 said:

Let’s do the math on your own deal. I don’t see anyway that Najee and his team would accept that but let’s humor the idea. 

You are offering a 3 year, $15M contract extension with $6M guaranteed. That equates to, in NFL terms, 1 year $6M, with a team option for $4.5M/season over the next two 

So effectively it’s a 1 year, $6M contract 

The option you are against is a 1 year, $6.8M contract. 

You’re drawing the line at $800k in a world where that’s like 3 nickels you found in your couch. 

That’s why it’s contradictory. Sign the extension and you’re - in your words -  “on the hook” for $6M immediately, no matter what happens. 

You don’t care about the guaranteed money - your deal offer is exactly the same. You just want a deal that screws over the player. And I don’t mean that rudely, but your willing to take the same exact guarantees you mention your against, just provided it’s terms no player/agent would agree to. 

The deadline is the last day of the off-season. The Steelers have a long standing precedent of not doing extensions in-seasons. Khan himself has said that’s a tradition he has no intention of breaking. This isn’t happening. 

I understand what you're saying.  But you're neglecting the timing of said deal too.  If you do the deal now, you have the risk of him not producing in the new scheme.  You run the risk of him being injured now.  Whereas, if you waited till mid-season or w/e the deadline is to re-sign someone in-season, one of those is negated completely, and the other is reduced greatly.  So it's really risk aversion, or risk-reward.  My way is lower risk.  My way is more team-friendly, whereas yours is more player-friendly and much higher risk for the team and the cap situation moving forward.  I stand by what I said.  As long as Najee isn't pissed off and walking no matter what, this is the right move.  Btw, I just read on FB earlier that he is going to lose weight now to be more explosive.  Everyone has said he's sluggish and LeVeon Bell even called him out on it and said he should lose weight as he did.  Maybe this was the motivation for him to kick it in the *** and do anything and everything to produce to chase the money.  If they'd picked up his 5 year deal, there's no urgency until next year.  He can coast again this year, with the following year fully guaranteed.

4 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

But you're neglecting the timing of said deal too

I am not neglecting it, but as I mentioned above it's a long standing rule that the steelers do not negotiate with players once the season starts. That's something Khan confirmed he won't do either:

It's not that I don't understand it, it's just highly unlikely they break that rule for Najee. 

I just read on FB earlier that he is going to lose weight now to be more explosive

This isn't new as of the declining of the 5th year option. This has been talked about since March:

He can coast again this year,

To be quite honest, I think this is incredibly disrespectful to Najee to allude to the idea that he coasted. You hear nothing about how hard of a worker he is and what kind of a leader he tries to be. 

This isn't just a comment about this, but starting to feel like people have already forgotten that Matt Canada was here and just how bad he (and the QB) was.

After the firing, Najee averaged 26 more yards per game on the ground. His post-Canada game's extended over an 17 game season would be 1302 yards (2nd in the NFL) and 12 TDs. 

That stretch even includes the 3 loses headlined by Mitch at QB. Cards game before Kenny's exit: 4.36 YPC for 48 yards. After: 2.5 YPC for 15 yards. In the 4 wins we had, Najee went for 411 yards, 5 TDs, and rushed for 4.73 YPC.

46th on the season in yards before contact, yet tied for 3rd in the league for yards after contact. Second in the league in broken tackles. Tied for 4th in the league in 20+ yard carries. 

• Like 1

No other conversation shows the difference between the Colbert-stans and Kahn-stans than this. 

In the end the situation crated is this:

We can keep one, both, or neither depending on how the season plays out.

VS

Having to keep one of them regardless of what happens on the season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

No other conversation shows the difference between the Colbert-stans and Kahn-stans than this. 

In the end the situation crated is this:

We can keep one, both, or neither depending on how the season plays out.

VS

Having to keep one of them regardless of what happens on the season. 

Choose to keep both and have 2 starting RBs for 2 years. Have both with fresh legs every game/play and in the event one gets injured, the season isn't lost. Try and make a run the next 2 years. It's just not enough guaranteed money (IMO) to worry so much about. 

3 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Choose to keep both and have 2 starting RBs for 2 years. Have both with fresh legs every game/play and in the event one gets injured, the season isn't lost. Try and make a run the next 2 years. It's just not enough guaranteed money (IMO) to worry so much about. 

So $9mm isn’t too much when you are unsure of their fit in the offense but $12mm is too much to know?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So $9mm isn’t too much when you are unsure of their fit in the offense but $12mm is too much to know?

I think not knowing the "fit" is being overblown. He's been with the team for 3 seasons. They know more about him than any prospect they'd be scouting and trying to match fit. Perhaps they don't think he's a fit and that's the reason they haven't extended him. If that's the case, I have no issue. And how did we get to $9m? I thought it was less than $7m. 

Just now, Chieferific said:

I think not knowing the "fit" is being overblown. He's been with the team for 3 seasons. They know more about him than any prospect they'd be scouting and trying to match fit. Perhaps they don't think he's a fit and that's the reason they haven't extended him. If that's the case, I have no issue. And how did we get to $9m? I thought it was less than $7m. 

The offensive staff is largely new and the RB will be asked to do different things in the offense. A lot of what they knew about these guys last year is moot when considering how they'll fit in the new offense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Najee and Warren because Warren is a RFA next year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

The offensive staff is largely new and the RB will be asked to do different things in the offense. A lot of what they knew about these guys last year is moot when considering how they'll fit in the new offense.

It's not moot. They have plenty of tape and FTF with him to know (or at least have an educated guess) if he's going to "fit".  When he's let go, they have to draft a replacement and you will not convince me they'll know less about Najee than a player that is currently in college. So again, the "not sure if he's a fit" argument is overblown IMO. There is another reason for not signing the extension and it is prolly related to the money/guarantee. I simply don't agree with that decision. 

7 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

It's not moot. They have plenty of tape and FTF with him to know (or at least have an educated guess) if he's going to "fit".  When he's let go, they have to draft a replacement and you will not convince me they'll know less about Najee than a player that is currently in college. So again, the "not sure if he's a fit" argument is overblown IMO. There is another reason for not signing the extension and it is prolly related to the money/guarantee. I simply don't agree with that decision. 

Based on tape they have would be no different than the tape they would have on a FA RB.