Commanders are among the NFL's worst in team merchandise sales

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 4:14 PM, Troublez said:

Ashamed to admit it but .... Chris Horton was last Jersey I bought.... bunch before that though.

The last Jersey I bought myself that a friend didn’t buy me was a knock off McNabb from my friend’s friend who had some bootleg jerseys somehow. 😂

I guess it fell off a truck? Or it was made in another country or something. 🤷‍♂️

I forget how much I paid for it, $50 or $75? Something like that. It did have the numbers stitched on it but it wasn’t a truly authentic jersey. That same friend bought me a Kerrigan jersey from his same friend for Christmas back in 2011. Those are the last 2 jerseys I got.

The last one I bought myself from NFL.com was a Mike Sellers jersey which I made custom in 2009 I think.

Edited by turtle28

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I could warm a bit to "Commanders" ( not bloody likely ) if they could come up with a decent LOGO !! ?? I don't know what in world it might be. Can't think of anthing that cover all branches of armed forces. Perhaps a less ornate version of the Great Seal of the U S. Hey, Maybe the Eagle holding the War Feathers and Spears !  ! You dudes got any ideas - thoughts .. It's the off season . not a lot to ponder in mid June . 

Yes I realize we have that Seal with the Franchise Dates - An eight year could do better .

202px-Great_Seal_of_the_United_States_%28obverse%29.svg.png

Celebrity gif. A bored Jack Nicholson scratches his head and yawns.

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only way the Commanders name will stay, is if we start winning immediately.

And I'm talking Superbowls. Not playoff appearances only.

I say that, because it will take that to increase the fanbase for the younger generation.

Or the 35 & younger crowd.

And since I expect them to change the name sooner, rather than later?

They better win it all this year. That's their window. Lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

The only way the Commanders name will stay, is if we start winning immediately.

And I'm talking Superbowls. Not playoff appearances only.

I say that, because it will take that to increase the fanbase for the younger generation.

Or the 35 & younger crowd.

And since I expect them to change the name sooner, rather than later?

They better win it all this year. That's their window. Lol

The uniforms have the stink of the Snyder’s on them.  The uniforms will change well before the team name changes.  While the Snyder’s bumbled that one too, I don’t think the NFL will want a team to change their name for a third time in less than a decade.  

If anything…..they will go back to being the Football Team.  

• Like 2

I'll tell ya what would be cool!

And it would fit in nicely for the preliminary Yellow pants we plan on wearing this year.

Kind of like a building block of what's to come.

The 1970 uni's we wore.

https://images.app.goo.gl/bRYwGvgvL9KgfHkf8

Yellow pants

Yellow helmet with the Letter "R" (burgundy) and the feather.

Burgundy jerseys 

It's exactly reminiscent of the St. Johns Redmen college team. Here's the history on that.

History

Prior to the 1994–95 school year, the university's nickname was the St. John's Redmen, which referenced the red uniforms worn by its teams in competition. The name was interpreted as a Native American reference in the 1960s, and the university did have a mascot (adorned in Native American dress), which eventually led to the team's name change to the Red Storm. The change happened at a time when there was mounting pressure on colleges and universities to adopt names more sensitive to Native American culture.[3][4] The Redmen name still remains popular among fans, however, as does "Johnnies". On September 18, 2009, the new mascot, which was voted on by students, was revealed: Johnny Thunderbird.

Anyways The R on the helmet could represent "Redstorm" or "Redstorms".

We keep the Red prefix

We basically use an alternative jersey from our history, as a more permanent solution.

With the only change being from Redskins to Redstorm(s).

The feather on the helmet could stay or go....doesn't really matter.

I'd like to keep it, just to symbolize that little piece of Redskins that remains.

But the name Washington Redstorms is pretty badass, imo.

But it would parallel, what the St. Johns Redmen had to change as well.

The crowd could do the old wave....lolol

And it would fit.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

We will get new uniforms to replace the Tanya-designed ones before a rebrand happens.  I just don’t see a rebrand unless they go back to WFT and I think that Harris, for obvious reasons, would like to avoid that. 

• Like 1

I just don't agree that on a 1 to 10 they rate the rebrand , IMHO about a 3 . A name the fans can get enthusiastic about, excited about and cheer loudly about can raise the play of the team on the field. We haven't had a Home Field advantage in forever !  

This issue should be like an 8 ! I can't figure these smart, rich people don't see that !!! but that's just me,, and you, and you and you !🧐 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I just don't agree that on a 1 to 10 they rate the rebrand , IMHO about a 3 . A name the fans can get enthusiastic about, excited about and cheer loudly about can raise the play of the team on the field. We haven't had a Home Field advantage in forever !  

This issue should be like an 8 ! I can't figure these smart, rich people don't see that !!! but that's just me,, and you, and you and you !🧐 

I don't think that's what they're saying though, IMO. I think they know the name sucks. They know none of the fans are behind it, but the amount of work that needs to be done TOTAL is a crap ton. The amount of work to do a rebrand is extensive, costly and time consuming. It's just not feasible to rebrand while trying to get a new stadium, while rehabbing the stadium, training facilities and overall experience for employees and staff. 

IMO, they know it sucks too. Josh Harris won't call them Commanders. Their merchandise sales will sell to those inclined to buy, but people like myself, who only own Redskins gear, will hold out for a true rebrand. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't think that's what they're saying though, IMO. I think they know the name sucks. They know none of the fans are behind it, but the amount of work that needs to be done TOTAL is a crap ton. The amount of work to do a rebrand is extensive, costly and time consuming. It's just not feasible to rebrand while trying to get a new stadium, while rehabbing the stadium, training facilities and overall experience for employees and staff. 

IMO, they know it sucks too. Josh Harris won't call them Commanders. Their merchandise sales will sell to those inclined to buy, but people like myself, who only own Redskins gear, will hold out for a true rebrand. 

My guess is still when they open the new stadium in 2030, they unveil the new name/rebrand. That’s 6 years from now, I think they could set it up to get all that done at the same time and would be amazing to do it that way and special.

The only way I don’t see them changing the name is if we win a Super Bowl in the next 6 years with the name Commanders. If that happens we’re stuck with the name IMO.

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

My guess is still when they open the new stadium in 2030, they unveil the new name/rebrand. That’s 6 years from now, I think they could set it up to get all that done at the same time and would be amazing to do it that way and special.

The only way I don’t see them changing the name is if we win a Super Bowl in the next 6 years with the name Commanders. If that happens we’re stuck with the name IMO.

That seems like a reasonable timeline expectation from what we've read and been told . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

That seems like a reasonable timeline expectation from what we've read and been told . 

Agreed.  Also, I think in this area, opening in 2030 is probably beyond best case scenario.  I can see it being at least 2033-34, which is fine with me.  I appreciate my seats and commute to Fed Ex.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...