Gruden thinks we've found our Center

Thaiphoon

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/after-some-shifting-2017-redskins-appear-be-set-center

“Chase did good. He did good,” said Gruden. “It was good to see him back in there. His snaps were outstanding and handled the calls and play well.”

That was good but standard praise. What was interesting was what he said next.  

“I like Chase’s progress right now,” he said. “I think he is going to be a very good center for a long time here. It was a great pickup for us in the draft.”

It appears that you can at least pencil in Roullier as the 2018 starter at center, if not put him in with a Sharpie.

Where would this leave Long, who is slated to be a free agent in March? The Redskins could let him walk and go with the younger and cheaper Roullier. They also could sign him to be their starting left guard. That job has belonged to Shawn Lauvao, but Lauvao is a pending free agent, is 30-years old and has missed large chunks of two of the last three seasons with injuries. When he missed the last 13 games of the 2015 season, Long went in at left guard and played well."

37 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I would let Long walk.  Roullier has looked good.  We can find someone to compete at LG.

If we can get Long cheap, it might not be bad to keep him. He played Center in our offense and can fill in if Roullier is hurt. But cost is the consideration here given that my guess is he will be the backup G if we bring in competition

I think it was obvious enough watching Roullier in those first two games that his upper body strength isn't where it needs to be considering his measurables, but his anchoring has been great as advertised. Needs a big-time program to become a mid-tier starter at the position. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Long leave, but his price for next year should be low. I see a one-year prove-it deal with the opportunity to grab the starting LG spot. As a team, you would look to the draft for LG to keep both that position and C on rookie deals for as long as Trent/Scherff are around. 

3 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I don't remember how Spencer Long faired when he started at G...I'd like to bring him back on a reasonable contract, but we can't throw too much $$ at him.

When he was playing guard it was 2015 and his second season and he was pedestrian but you also have to factor in that Leribeus was our starting center because both Lauvao & Kory L got hurt that year.

Archived