OTAs News and Notes

Nnivolcm

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I wonder how that happens?

There were a couple of fights reported during that time frame. I wonder if it was related to that or if they ran contact drills when they were not supposed to. 

In a previous interview MCDC reported they were planning on giving vets more days off anyways, so this forfeited practice really only effects the rookies. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

There were a couple of fights reported during that time frame. I wonder if it was related to that or if they ran contact drills when they were not supposed to. 

In a previous interview MCDC reported they were planning on giving vets more days off anyways, so this forfeited practice really only effects the rookies. 

The defense is much closer to being on equal footing with the offense this year and things got a little chippy.  Losing one OTA has a pretty minimal impact.  They have gotten to this point without any significant injuries so they are on a good path going into training camp.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

I saw Mitchell Agude's name coming up a lot with the beat writers in OTA and Mini-Camp.  I didn't know a lot about him but he has some serious length and hand size.  Arm length 34 7/8".  Hand size:  10 1/8".  He checks in at 6'5" and 250 Lbs.  It will be interesting to see how he progresses as we move through training camp.

The other surprise that came from OTAs is that PK James Turner did a good enough job in OTAs to put himself in a position to have a legitimate competition with Michael Badgley for the PK job.  By all accounts, he kicked well and was consistent while Badgley faltered a bit opening the door for James Turner.  It will be interesting to see if James Turner can continue to show a strong leg and keep up his level of play.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 7:32 PM, Just Want A Title said:

The other surprise that came from OTAs is that PK James Turner did a good enough job in OTAs to put himself in a position to have a legitimate competition with Michael Badgley for the PK job.  By all accounts, he kicked well and was consistent while Badgley faltered a bit opening the door for James Turner.  It will be interesting to see if James Turner can continue to show a strong leg and keep up his level of play.

Lions are signing UFL K Jake Bates 

12 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions are signing UFL K Jake Bates 

Then it looks like it will be a Battle Royale for the PK Job.  Bates tailed off at the end of the season but his early run was impressive.  They are going to have two PKs with plenty of leg strength to challenge Michael Badgely.  The ability to make a 60-yard FG is great but I would settle for a PK who is automatic from 52-yards or less.  Badgely had some weird missed FGs on some pretty makeable kicks but we were lucky enough for it to not directly cost us a game.  

4 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Then it looks like it will be a Battle Royale for the PK Job.  Bates tailed off at the end of the season but his early run was impressive.  They are going to have two PKs with plenty of leg strength to challenge Michael Badgely.  The ability to make a 60-yard FG is great but I would settle for a PK who is automatic from 52-yards or less.  Badgely had some weird missed FGs on some pretty makeable kicks but we were lucky enough for it to not directly cost us a game.  

Patterson was perfect when we cut him for Badgley. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

From what I understand, Riley Patterson lost his job based on what the coaches saw in Practice.  Beyond that, he doesn't have the biggest leg either with a career long FG of 53 yards.    Based on the OTA write-ups, Badgley's performance seems to have opened the door for the Battle Royale.  Given the fact that the Lions play outdoors in Chicago and Green Bay, a PK with a stronger leg can help deal with the wonky wind conditions that come up at times.  

Riley Patterson Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Edited by Just Want A Title

34 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

From what I understand, Riley Patterson lost his job based on what the coaches saw in Practice.  Beyond that, he doesn't have the biggest leg either with a career long FG of 53 yards.    Based on the OTA write-ups, Badgley's performance seems to have opened the door for the Battle Royale.  Given the fact that the Lions play outdoors in Chicago and Green Bay, a PK with a stronger leg can help deal with the wonky wind conditions that come up at times.  

Riley Patterson Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I’m saying, if the Lions just wanted automatic within 52, we’d still have Patterson. They are signing Bates to a two year deal. 

On 6/15/2024 at 9:24 AM, Louis Friend said:

Patterson was 15 for 17 last year so he missed 2 FG as well as 2 extra points. 

Badgley was perfect last year on FG but only had 4 kicks in the regular season and 3 in the playoffs.  But he was still perfect for us.  

On 6/15/2024 at 10:31 AM, Louis Friend said:

I’m saying, if the Lions just wanted automatic within 52, we’d still have Patterson. They are signing Bates to a two year deal. 

Badgley is going to start the regular season, Bates will be on PS. If Badgley struggles, he'll be cut and they'll consider moving Bates up depending on how he's doing during practices. 

That's my guesstimate. 

• Like 1