Dolphins extend WR Jaylen Waddle (3 years, $84.75M, $76M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

57 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

?

I don't think it impacts our 2024 or 2025 cap much, and there's no cause for concern for 2026 and beyond (when this contract will have its big cap hits).

With Tyreek saying on record he'll probably retire following his current contract (plus the inevitable regression he'll likely experience at some point in the next few years anyway), this is about securing a great WR for the future more than it is a luxury, imo.

Tyreek is also saying he would like a new contract

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals certainly won't trade Higgins before the 2024 season. They aren't going to give him an extension, they are going to pay the tag amount of 21.8 mil then see where things stand after the season. If he plays well, they'll tag him again for 26 mil and probably be willing to trade him if Burton or Iosivas looks ready to replace him. If he plays poorly, they'll not tag him and most likely let him walk.

Seriously,  that is some Dallas Cowboys type line of thinking? In otherwords Idiotic? Stupidity at ts finest?

The plan for 2024 is to have both WR's disgruntled because niether is worthy in the Organizationals mind of a "Market Value" type deal equal to what they deserve????

Play that stupid game and be the 2025 version of the Dallas Cowboys,  please!! Promise you, like them it  won't work out!!!!!

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Tyreek is also saying he would like a new contract

considering his massive cap hit the next three seasons, he knows he's on the chopping block if he has a down year at any point. i think we could work out a new contract with him that gives him a bit more security, but only if it actually relieves funds in 2025.

still, I'd like to think the Dolphins would be weary of investing heavily in a player whose play is primarily reliant on speed who just turned 30

Remember when the Raiders didn’t wanna pay Mack 20 million because it was an overpay! Then the rams made Donald the first 20 million player. This is crazy Man! I don’t think Weddle moves the needle nor makes Mia elite. I wouldn’t pay anything close to that. But hey! He’s fast! 

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

considering his massive cap hit the next three seasons, he knows he's on the chopping block if he has a down year at any point. i think we could work out a new contract with him that gives him a bit more security, but only if it actually relieves funds in 2025.

still, I'd like to think the Dolphins would be weary of investing heavily in a player whose play is primarily reliant on speed who just turned 30

Hill could probably push to hit FA and find the beat deal he can get

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

You mean ask for a release? I'd think that would be unlikely.

No.  He asked for a new deal.  He is scheduled to make $22.9 and $45.0 in 25 and 26.  Any new deal is likely to be $30 avg or Miami cuts him and he hits FA

Just now, squire12 said:

No.  He asked for a new deal.  He is scheduled to make $22.9 and $45.0 in 25 and 26.  Any new deal is likely to be $30 avg or Miami cuts him and he hits FA

Oh you mean once he plays out his current contract. Yeah, I mean, that's fine but he'd be 32 or 33 at that point.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Oh you mean once he plays out his current contract. Yeah, I mean, that's fine but he'd be 32 or 33 at that point.

You think Miami pays $45M in 26 for Hill?

2026 cap hit is $56M, there’s a zero percent chance Hill plays on his current deal in 2026. They either add void years, extend him, or cut him by then. No shot Hill plays in 2026 with a $56M cap hit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soko said:

2026 cap hit is $56M, there’s a zero percent chance Hill plays on his current deal in 2026. They either add void years, extend him, or cut him by then. No shot Hill plays in 2026 with a $56M cap hit.

some of the cap hit will be there regardless.  it is about what additional cap hit Miami is willing to add or not.  That is the $45M in base salary + other bonus money that needs to be decided on

31 minutes ago, squire12 said:

some of the cap hit will be there regardless.  it is about what additional cap hit Miami is willing to add or not.  That is the $45M in base salary + other bonus money that needs to be decided on

Yes, more commonly referred to as dead money, cap hits, and savings. Tyreek on the roster will cost Miami $56M against their cap. Releasing him would cost Miami $11M to have him off the team. 

No shot he plays for $56M when the dead cap hit is only $11M. My prediction is they either give him a short extension with void years, or give him a raise that tacks on void years. 

probably not, since it is relatively easy to cut him at that point. but how the Dolphins play it really depends on what the cap situation looks like at that point and his level of play in 2025.

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

?

I don't think it impacts our 2024 or 2025 cap much, and there's no cause for concern for 2026 and beyond (when this contract will have its big cap hits).

With Tyreek saying on record he'll probably retire following his current contract (plus the inevitable regression he'll likely experience at some point in the next few years anyway), this is about securing a great WR for the future more than it is a luxury, imo.

It raises both hits by a few million, from the signing bonus proration. But fair, I suppose they would've had to do gross things next year regardless. Waddle doesn't really change much in that regard, that is true

Though I completely disagree that there's no cause for concern for 2026 in beyond. Next year's cap situation basically guarantees there will be problems then too. That's kind of how this works.

I also disagree with calling Waddle a great WR, which is probably why I see it as a luxury and you don't. To me this is paying a #2 top of market long term. I wouldn't be comfortable relying on Waddle to be the guy post-Hill, with what he has shown thus far. And maybe he develops further, shows more, but then you're paying him for what you hope he will be, not what he has shown to be, and that's....generally inadvisable.

11 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Though I completely disagree that there's no cause for concern for 2026 in beyond. Next year's cap situation basically guarantees there will be problems then too. That's kind of how this works.

It'll probably be tight, but there's currently room to move things around. Cap continues to grow too, of course.

I also disagree with calling Waddle a great WR, which is probably why I see it as a luxury and you don't. To me this is paying a #2 top of market long term. I wouldn't be comfortable relying on Waddle to be the guy post-Hill, with what he has shown thus far. And maybe he develops further, shows more, but then you're paying him for what you hope he will be, not what he has shown to be, and that's....generally inadvisable.

I mean, he'd be the WR1 on the majority of teams in the league. Throwing shade because he plays on the same roster as Tyreek Hill is kinda silly. As someone who has watched every snap of Waddle as a pro, I'm quite confident on relying on him post-Hill, as he's been a fantastic player. I'm not even entirely sure what the basis for his detractors even is. If you'd like to elaborate, be my guest.

• Like 4