TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

24 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

If Raygun isn't the "break"out star of the 2024 Olympics what are we even doing as a society?

WTH? Anything that has 'dancing,' in the name of it is not a sport and has no business being in the Olympics. 

What is the next Olympic sport, 'ballroom dancing?' Celebrate her all you want, for me, yawn! 

As far as the overall Olympics go, US needs to wind up with more golds than the cheating Chinese. 

Edited by Old Guy

I mean, I'm an Olympic Maximalist.  Basically anything you can name that's in any way a legitimate competition should be in the Olympics.  Why?  Because seeing the people in the world who are best at something compete at that thing is fun.

Like the criteria for getting a sport in the Olympics should be:

1) Is there an international governing body to adjudicate things like "rule changes"?

2) Are there enough countries that participate in it to make the competition not fait accompli?

3) Does it involve some kind of physical activity?

Anything that ticks all three boxes should be in the Olympics sometimes.

Like the IOC maintains two separate standards: Mandatory Events and Optional Events.  As in "ones in the second tier are optional for a host city to put on."

Mandatory events are things like "Track & Field" and "Gymnastics" and "Wrestling." Optional events are things like Skateboard and Sport Climbing.  When an optional tier sport has enough of a history of being competitive and successful it sometimes gets upgraded to the higher tier.

I see no reason that they shouldn't add wildly diverse sports to the optional tier.  Like the LA Games are going to have Flag Football, Lacrosse, and Cricket.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

WTH? Anything that has 'dancing,' in the name of it is not a sport and has no business being in the Olympics. 

What is the next Olympic sport, 'ballroom dancing?' Celebrate her all you want, for me, yawn! 

As far as the overall Olympics go, US needs to wind up with more golds than the cheating Chinese. 

It's not ballroom dancing. It's Dance Sport.

35 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, I'm an Olympic Maximalist.  Basically anything you can name that's in any way a legitimate competition should be in the Olympics.  Why?  Because seeing the people in the world who are best at something compete at that thing is fun.

Like the criteria for getting a sport in the Olympics should be:

1) Is there an international governing body to adjudicate things like "rule changes"?

2) Are there enough countries that participate in it to make the competition not fait accompli?

3) Does it involve some kind of physical activity?

Anything that ticks all three boxes should be in the Olympics sometimes.

There is where you are misguided, IMO. The Olympics have always been about finding out is the best ATHLETE at a given SPORT. The other THINGS, need to find something else and quit screwing with the Olympics. 

4 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

It's not ballroom dancing. It's Dance Sport.

It's not a sport! Same thing with those people with the long ribbons twirling them in circles on gymnastic mats, not a sport. 

24 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like the IOC maintains two separate standards: Mandatory Events and Optional Events.  As in "ones in the second tier are optional for a host city to put on."

Mandatory events are things like "Track & Field" and "Gymnastics" and "Wrestling." Optional events are things like Skateboard and Sport Climbing.  When an optional tier sport has enough of a history of being competitive and successful it sometimes gets upgraded to the higher tier.

I see no reason that they shouldn't add wildly diverse sports to the optional tier.  Like the LA Games are going to have Flag Football, Lacrosse, and Cricket.

Those are actually legitimate sports. Cricket is a form of baseball. Jim Brown was an All-American in Lacrosse at Syracuse. Lacross is huge on the east coast of the US. It's becoming big everywhere. Any form of football is a sport, so that one counts too.

Here a starter for you to eliminate things that are not sports. If it includes dancing in the name, not a sport.