Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

31 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Great to win the first series in the 60 game sprint.  I had little hope going into today with Chatwood on the mound for the rubber game.  He was terrific.  

This bullpen is gonna give me heartburn all year, though.  

I feel like I've said this every year

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:26 PM, hrubes20 said:

Great to win the first series in the 60 game sprint.  I had little hope going into today with Chatwood on the mound for the rubber game.  He was terrific.  

This bullpen is gonna give me heartburn all year, though.  

Bullpen was trash tonight. I still think Kimbrel will come around, but even if he does, it’s not looking great 

10 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Bullpen was trash tonight. I still think Kimbrel will come around, but even if he does, it’s not looking great 

The spaghetti throwing approach hasn't looked good through the first few games.  Sadler/Underwood/Norwood/Winkler should not have opening day roster spots on a competitive team.  Maples is our new version of Carlos Marmol, but even more wild if that is possible.  Rex Brothers had good results the first time out, but his stuff is pretty iffy over the long haul.  I'll give Tepera the benefit of the doubt, as he's been a solid reliever as recently as 2018.  

Kimbrel's stuff is still plenty good enough, but the command last night was absolutely non-existant.  Not sure if it's rust or a mechanical issue, but that needs to get straightened out in a hurry.  

On 7/31/2020 at 10:01 PM, pwny said:

At this point, I’m convinced I could pitch just as effectively as Kimbrel. 

And I don't think I've ever been more confident in my ability to hit a 97 mph fastball.  Just straight meatballs.

Also, did my eyes deceive me, or did this garbage bullpen somehow manage to throw 5 scoreless innings yesterday? (with the caveat that the Pirates are a terrible offensive team) 

The only positive I have from watching the dumpster fire that is Craig Kimbrel, is that it gives me more faith in Rossy as manager.  He waited for about the perfect spot to give Kimbrel one last attempt to lock down the 9th (up 3 with the 4-5-6 hitters due up in a mediocre at best lineup).  Kimbrel faced the minimum 3 hitters and that's all Rossy needed to see.  He didn't tip-toe around Kimbrel's ego as a formerly dominant closer; he simply did what he needed to do to win the game.  I feel quite confident that this would not have been the case the past few years.

39 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The only positive I have from watching the dumpster fire that is Craig Kimbrel, is that it gives me more faith in Rossy as manager.  He waited for about the perfect spot to give Kimbrel one last attempt to lock down the 9th (up 3 with the 4-5-6 hitters due up in a mediocre at best lineup).  Kimbrel faced the minimum 3 hitters and that's all Rossy needed to see.  He didn't tip-toe around Kimbrel's ego as a formerly dominant closer; he simply did what he needed to do to win the game.  I feel quite confident that this would not have been the case the past few years.

I agree, except I don’t like how he went to Ryan. He’s been getting rocked lately too. 

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

I agree, except I don’t like how he went to Ryan. He’s been getting rocked lately too. 

Wick and Sadler were unavailable from pitching 2 straight days and Jeffress already pitched the 8th.  That's 100% of the relievers that can be trusted right now, which is the big issue.  I have no problem with Rossy trying to play matchups and go with the lefty to Ryan to face the upcoming lefty hitters, given that the rest of the available pen is also an unmitigated disaster.   

So, uh, Colin Rea looks like he might be a really solid relief option with the bumped up stuff.  With his ability to go multiple innings, that is HUGE for this team.  Naturally this means that he will give up 4 bombs against the Brewers this upcoming series, but it is what it is.  

This team is starting to remind me of the 2015/2016 group. They just keep finding ways to win. Someone different steps up every night. 

It seemed like the last couple of years either the whole team had it together or the entire offense would disappear - this year they've been avoiding those types of games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

This team is starting to remind me of the 2015/2016 group. They just keep finding ways to win. Someone different steps up every night. 

It seemed like the last couple of years either the whole team had it together or the entire offense would disappear - this year they've been avoiding those types of games. 

I would have to agree.  KB/Rizzo/Javy/Schwarber are all starting out slowly with the bat, and in previous years this would have killed the offense.  The biggest boost the lineup has seen is from Ian Happ.  The changes he was able to make when he was sent back down to the minors last year have clearly stuck and are paying huge dividends.  In his past 206 PAs, which go back to July of 2019, he is slashing .289/.374/.594 with a .325 BABIP, and a 12.1% BB and 24.3% K rate.  He may actually be a legit good big league hitter now.  

• Like 1