Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

On 9/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, hrubes20 said:

I keep waiting for Happ to turn back into a pumpkin, but here we are, almost 400 PAs since his minor league demotion, and he actually keeps looking better.  This may actually be the real Ian Happ now.  It looks like we sacrificed KB/Rizzo/Javy to get this version of Happ, though.  

We can never have everybody get hot at the same time.

On 9/17/2020 at 8:59 AM, Breesus mode said:

I don't think we will

It will take Chafin or Quintana coming back from injury and being effective.  Both are possible, I suppose.  

17 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Think Lester will be back next year? I wouldn't hate it depending on what happens in Free Agency. Darvish, Hendricks, Mills are the only ones under contract I think. 

Lester, Quintana and Chatwood are free agents I believe. 

I honestly hope he isn't.  Lester has been one of the best FA signings in team history, but he is barely capable of being a #5 starter anymore.  Even with the team having to pay him a $10 million buyout, I hope the FO passes.  

At least one of the open spots will go to the best of Alzolay/Marquez/Tyson Miller/Corey Abbott, and depending on how poor Tom Ricketts wants to pretend to be this offseason, both spots may go to internal guys.  A trade acquisition is very possible as well.  I really would like to see Marcus Stroman brought in as the new #3, but like I said, Tom Ricketts.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

It will take Chafin or Quintana coming back from injury and being effective.  Both are possible, I suppose.  

I honestly hope he isn't.  Lester has been one of the best FA signings in team history, but he is barely capable of being a #5 starter anymore.  Even with the team having to pay him a $10 million buyout, I hope the FO passes.  

At least one of the open spots will go to the best of Alzolay/Marquez/Tyson Miller/Corey Abbott, and depending on how poor Tom Ricketts wants to pretend to be this offseason, both spots may go to internal guys.  A trade acquisition is very possible as well.  I really would like to see Marcus Stroman brought in as the new #3, but like I said, Tom Ricketts.

What about Quintana? I’m a super fan of his so I’d like him back. Being hurt pretty much all this season probably isn’t helping his cause though. 

17 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

What about Quintana? I’m a super fan of his so I’d like him back. Being hurt pretty much all this season probably isn’t helping his cause though. 

If he would sign a 1 year, prove it deal to show what he's back healthy again, I would be all for it.  But I'm sure he could get a multi-year deal somewhere else.   

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 9:52 AM, hrubes20 said:

This offense is hopelessly broken right now.  It's painful to see a hitter as good as KB look completely inept up there.  

Aaaaaaaaaand KB is down with an oblique injury.  That almost surely puts an end to his season.  How crazy is it that KB being done for the year probably improves the team right now?