Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

4 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I don't want to trade Willy.  It's really tough to find a frontline catcher in this league.  I realize he would net a big return, but I still pass on that.

I don't think Rizzo or Javy bring back much in terms of prospects, so I'd rather just keep them.  I would hate trading Rizzo no matter what, but I could get on board with a Javy trade if someone actually did offer up a worthwhile prospect.

I’d move any of them if the return is good. Will be sad to see the guys who brought a championship leave obviously 

15 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I’d move any of them if the return is good. Will be sad to see the guys who brought a championship leave obviously 

Obviously if someone is overpaying, you trade them all.  And absolutely agree.  Tough to see the best chapter in Chicago Cubs baseball come to a close, but here we are.  Just have to do it right so they can get back sooner rather than later.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:07 PM, Breesus mode said:

So, what do you think of our draft?

It was ok.  Don't love it and don't hate it.  Jordan Wicks is nothing more than a BOR starter unless they can add some velo to the fastball; improve his breaking ball; or both.  The changeup is fantastic, but he was hit too hard in college.  I really, really like James Triantos, the 2nd round pick.  He had the highest contact rate of any prep player in the showcase circuit and I just generally love the bat.  Drew Gray is a really interesting prep LHP that you love to bring in.  Christian Franklin didn't make enough contact in college for my liking, but he could maybe be a 4th OF type if things fall perfectly.  Parker Chavers in the 7th is a pick I really like as well.  Potentially a big steal there.  The rest of the top 10 were big underslot signs to afford Triantos/Gray and hopefully a couple of the lottery ticket prep picks from rounds 11-20.  

On 7/16/2021 at 9:43 AM, Blazer026 said:

Sold off Joc for more than I thought we’d get. Let the selling official begin 

Ball is certainly a limited prospect, but he does appear to be more than I figured a rental Joc would bring back.

I imagine KB, Kimbrel, Chafin, Tepera, and maybe even Davies all get dealt before the deadline.  I don't see Rizzo or Javy getting dealt.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Yup.  It feels like the whole Bryzzo era went by in the blink of an eye.

I don't see the wisdom in, essentially, blowing the whole thing up. I do realize that this sort of thing is pretty much conventional wisdom nowadays...Baseball GMing 101, if you will...but I still don't get it. Why everybody? On the flip side of that--why anybody--at least the big names? Yeah, it's been a funky season, no doubt about that, but I fail to see how you can't re-build around Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez. Or at least two of them. 

• Like 1

One of the most shamefully embarrassing days for this franchise in my entire time as a fan.

They ****ed this whole thing up so badly that they couldn’t even keep one of them. And they didn’t even get a top 120 prospect for three MVP caliber players. 

• Like 1