Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

On 8/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, Blazer026 said:

Interested in watching Schwindel and Wisdom the rest of the year. 

But yikes, some of these games are too hard to watch. 

I literally can't watch them.  I may catch 1-2 innings to start out, but that's it.  Schwindel has been stupid good so far, so that's been fun.  The league will adjust, so it's just up to him to adjust with it.  It would be all sorts of awesome if he could be a legit player.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:36 AM, hrubes20 said:

I am just assuming they will never win another game in 2021.  They are legitimately trotting out a team of AAAA players.  

I was at Wrigley this weekend, and didn't recognize about half of the Cubs. I don't think I saw a single jersey of an active Cub either. 

Still a great time though. And the updates to Wrigley were more than needed.

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I was at Wrigley this weekend, and didn't recognize about half of the Cubs. I don't think I saw a single jersey of an active Cub either. 

Still a great time though. And the updates to Wrigley were more than needed.

Yeah, I don't love everything the Ricketts have insisted upon in regards to updating the park, but most of the updates to the infrastructure were quite overdue.  

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 5:48 PM, hrubes20 said:

I literally can't watch them.  I may catch 1-2 innings to start out, but that's it.  Schwindel has been stupid good so far, so that's been fun.  The league will adjust, so it's just up to him to adjust with it.  It would be all sorts of awesome if he could be a legit player.

I'm going to be in Chicago in a few weeks, and it's the first time I've been in town and don't have a desire to go to the stadium. It's usually a requirement every time, and it's been two years since my last visit, and I am just not feeling it, even with the stupid cheap ticket prices.

I used to get score notifications, and we'd turn on most any evening or weekend game and at least have it in the background, and that's all gone too. 

Apparently they haven't even won a home game since Javy's walk off of Garrett, which feels like it was 2 months ago at this point (though I'm sure it wasn't). 

On 8/23/2021 at 12:18 PM, pwny said:

I'm going to be in Chicago in a few weeks, and it's the first time I've been in town and don't have a desire to go to the stadium. It's usually a requirement every time, and it's been two years since my last visit, and I am just not feeling it, even with the stupid cheap ticket prices.

I used to get score notifications, and we'd turn on most any evening or weekend game and at least have it in the background, and that's all gone too. 

Apparently they haven't even won a home game since Javy's walk off of Garrett, which feels like it was 2 months ago at this point (though I'm sure it wasn't). 

We didn't even plan a Chicago trip this summer, which is unusual for my family.  There were other factors in play of course, but the Cubs being what they are now certainly didn't help things.  

• Like 1

Just now, hrubes20 said:

We didn't even plan a Chicago trip this summer, which is unusual for my family.  There were other factors in play of course, but the Cubs being what they are now certainly didn't help things.  

I’m only going because of another event this weekend. I think the Mrs. is gonna drag me to Wrigley on the guilt trip of her parents buying the tickets to spend time with us on Friday, but I don’t like it. At least seats are cheap, I guess. 

I occasionally see an update about a player, and half the time I don’t even know who they are. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

I’m only going because of another event this weekend. I think the Mrs. is gonna drag me to Wrigley on the guilt trip of her parents buying the tickets to spend time with us on Friday, but I don’t like it. At least seats are cheap, I guess. 

I occasionally see an update about a player, and half the time I don’t even know who they are. 

You have to spend time with the in-laws AND watch that abomination on the field at Wrigley?  Thoughts and prayers. .

At least the minor leagues are entertaining again.  The lower levels are absolutely loaded with legit guys.   

Just now, hrubes20 said:

You have to spend time with the in-laws AND watch that abomination on the field at Wrigley?  Thoughts and prayers. .

At least the minor leagues are entertaining again.  The lower levels are absolutely loaded with legit guys.   

I actually enjoy my in laws for the most part, so that’s at least nice. And we’re gonna go to Pequod’s after, so I guess I can deal with it.

It does sound like Jed did a decent job getting the minor league teams back together. But I’ve never been one to watch the minors with anything but an eye on the top guys. Too many players to get invested in that might never make it to the majors, or who might get traded off before ever being on the main roster. That’s probably why I have no idea who these players are that keep popping up.

I guess a question that needs to be brought up after what happened the other day. Do you think Javy comes back? Because it’s clear he’s not signing an extension in NY; neither side is going to want to do that.

I’ve resigned to the fact that Rizzo doesn’t make sense, given the status of the organization and his age and back issues. Bryant is the one I would actually want back, but SF is clearly making a huge courting effort to keep him. I guess Javy is the only one that might make sense. But given the status of the middle infielders, are they going to even want him back? And if so, what does that mean for Nico, who I assume is the odd man out?

2 hours ago, pwny said:

I actually enjoy my in laws for the most part, so that’s at least nice. And we’re gonna go to Pequod’s after, so I guess I can deal with it.

It does sound like Jed did a decent job getting the minor league teams back together. But I’ve never been one to watch the minors with anything but an eye on the top guys. Too many players to get invested in that might never make it to the majors, or who might get traded off before ever being on the main roster. That’s probably why I have no idea who these players are that keep popping up.

No, I follow the minors fairly well and most of these guys were not part of the system until this year.  They are cast-offs from other orgs due to being AAAA players.  

2 hours ago, pwny said:

I guess a question that needs to be brought up after what happened the other day. Do you think Javy comes back? Because it’s clear he’s not signing an extension in NY; neither side is going to want to do that.

I’ve resigned to the fact that Rizzo doesn’t make sense, given the status of the organization and his age and back issues. Bryant is the one I would actually want back, but SF is clearly making a huge courting effort to keep him. I guess Javy is the only one that might make sense. But given the status of the middle infielders, are they going to even want him back? And if so, what does that mean for Nico, who I assume is the odd man out?

I think a one year, prove it deal for Javy could be interesting and may be something cheap Ricketts would approve.  Ideally the Cubs aim higher for someone like Corey Seager to play SS, with Nico shifting to CF and Madrigal taking over 2B.  But that would require entirely too much money for a financially unsuccessful team like the Cubs.