Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

3 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

You sober and alive @hrubes20

Yes.  Just got back home from a family trip to Disney World/Universal in Orlando.  I have many notes:

1.  **** the Ricketts family.

2.  Hoyer actually did really well in the trades, considering all the players dealt were rentals and weren't performing all that well when dealt.  

3.  **** the Ricketts family.

4.  I keep seeing "no top 100 prospects acquired", but that comes with a big asterisk for me.  Nick Madrigal would have been a top 40 prospect in the game had he been eligible.  PCA would very likely be a top 100 prospect had he not hurt his non-throwing shoulder and missed the year.  He wouldn't have been available for a Javy rental if he hadn't suffered that injury.  Caleb Kilian is not a guy that I knew anything about before this year, but he's a gigantic riser.  A bunch of added velo to the fastball in the lost 2020 summer (now sits mid-90's and touches 98-99) with plus command/control in AA.  He's likely on a top 100 list or two by the end of the year if he keeps it up in the Cubs' system and could be a TOR pitcher if he can pick up the breaking ball that the Cubs have had recent success teaching in their pitch lab.  Kevin Alcantara is too far away to be on a top 100 list, but he's a really good lottery ticket.  Big bonus baby that has 5 tool potential.  Regardless, each of the deals brought back considerably more than the value of the 80th or so overall draft pick in next year's draft.  

5.  **** the Ricketts family.  

6.  I'm emotionally gutted from seeing all of those guys traded.  It's gonna take awhile for me to watch the big league team again.  Luckily the minors are fun to follow (a couple teenagers from the Darvish deal are blowing the hell up) for the rest of the year. This team will have loads and loads of money available for FA spending this offseason.  If they sit on all that money this offseason, I may riot.  

7.  I'm really interested in following what they do with Nico/Madrigal this offseason.  Will they trade one of them in a package for starting pitching and sign one of the big name SS?  Or will they keep them both and spend the FA dollars elsewhere?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Yes.  Just got back home from a family trip to Disney World/Universal in Orlando.  I have many notes:

1.  **** the Ricketts family.

2.  Hoyer actually did really well in the trades, considering all the players dealt were rentals and weren't performing all that well when dealt.  

3.  **** the Ricketts family.

4.  I keep seeing "no top 100 prospects acquired", but that comes with a big asterisk for me.  Nick Madrigal would have been a top 40 prospect in the game had he been eligible.  PCA would very likely be a top 100 prospect had he not hurt his non-throwing shoulder and missed the year.  He wouldn't have been available for a Javy rental if he hadn't suffered that injury.  Caleb Kilian is not a guy that I knew anything about before this year, but he's a gigantic riser.  A bunch of added velo to the fastball in the lost 2020 summer (now sits mid-90's and touches 98-99) with plus command/control in AA.  He's likely on a top 100 list or two by the end of the year if he keeps it up in the Cubs' system and could be a TOR pitcher if he can pick up the breaking ball that the Cubs have had recent success teaching in their pitch lab.  Kevin Alcantara is too far away to be on a top 100 list, but he's a really good lottery ticket.  Big bonus baby that has 5 tool potential.  Regardless, each of the deals brought back considerably more than the value of the 80th or so overall draft pick in next year's draft.  

5.  **** the Ricketts family.  

6.  I'm emotionally gutted from seeing all of those guys traded.  It's gonna take awhile for me to watch the big league team again.  Luckily the minors are fun to follow (a couple teenagers from the Darvish deal are blowing the hell up) for the rest of the year. This team will have loads and loads of money available for FA spending this offseason.  If they sit on all that money this offseason, I may riot.  

7.  I'm really interested in following what they do with Nico/Madrigal this offseason.  Will they trade one of them in a package for starting pitching and sign one of the big name SS?  Or will they keep them both and spend the FA dollars elsewhere?  

Meh.

All these tears.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bg1dm4a6o0c63jw513ua

Go root for the Pirates. They got great owners that truly care.

Edited by bootsy

9 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Ah, yes.  Another billionaire apologist.  Terrific.

Ah yes another underperforming player apologist. Definitely not terrific.  Blame the players not the owners.

Not an apologist but what the **** does the Ricketts family have to do with most of the players on this team not getting better since 2016. We can go back to the Tribune company running the team, that sounds good to you.

Oh yeah, how's Yu Darvish doing?

Edited by bootsy

6 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

Remember when you thought we would win the division?

No dumbass I don't because I didn't. 

I said to hpubes who gave up 3 games into the season how ridiculous and stupid that was and it will always ridiculous and stupid . So you need to get your remember when's straight.

9 hours ago, bootsy said:

No dumbass I don't because I didn't. 

I said to hpubes who gave up 3 games into the season how ridiculous and stupid that was and it will always ridiculous and stupid . So you need to get your remember when's straight.

You bumped this thread when we lead the division and then you disappeared when we started losing.

10 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

You bumped this thread when we lead the division and then you disappeared when we started losing.

What the **** are you talking about. I was on here early April, early June, mid June, this week. First you said I said we were going to win the division which was bs and now this.

LOL at me bumping up this thread when we were leading the division so you wrong again. Stop spewing bull**** man. You don't know what the **** you are talking about so just shut the **** up and continue to kiss hpubes ***. Goodness what a moron.

Edited by bootsy

20 hours ago, bootsy said:

Ah yes another underperforming player apologist. Definitely not terrific.  Blame the players not the owners.

Not an apologist but what the **** does the Ricketts family have to do with most of the players on this team not getting better since 2016. We can go back to the Tribune company running the team, that sounds good to you.

Oh yeah, how's Yu Darvish doing?

You are trying to use an argument that was never made.  We all know the Cubs have had horrible underperformance since 2018.  But instead of using the immense financial resources to bolster the team and help make up for those underperformances and weaknesses, the Ricketts closed the purse strings completely while a competetive window was still open.  They took it a step further this past offseason when they mandated that payroll be slashed, which led to the unnecessary trade of Yu Darvish, who would still be the best SP on the Cubs by a fair margin.  They had no intention of fielding a legit contender this year; the last year of the "core"; for solely monetary reasons.  They promised Theo and Co that the money would be there for those types of moves and then completely failed to deliver, because they realized they would rather have millions more in their bank accounts that already contain billions.  This is why there is so much anger directed towards them.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bootsy said:

What the **** are you talking about. I was on here early April, early June, mid June, this week. First you said I said we were going to win the division which was bs and now this.

LOL at me bumping up this thread when we were leading the division so you wrong again. Stop spewing bull**** man. You don't know what the **** you are talking about so just shut the **** up and continue to kiss hpubes ***. Goodness what a moron.

Oh, but you did. You @ me when we had the division lead. Your hysterical posts in reaction to me tell me I’m right 

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

You are trying to use an argument that was never made.  We all know the Cubs have had horrible underperformance since 2018.  But instead of using the immense financial resources to bolster the team and help make up for those underperformances and weaknesses, the Ricketts closed the purse strings completely while a competetive window was still open.  They took it a step further this past offseason when they mandated that payroll be slashed, which led to the unnecessary trade of Yu Darvish, who would still be the best SP on the Cubs by a fair margin.  They had no intention of fielding a legit contender this year; the last year of the "core"; for solely monetary reasons.  They promised Theo and Co that the money would be there for those types of moves and then completely failed to deliver, because they realized they would rather have millions more in their bank accounts that already contain billions.  This is why there is so much anger directed towards them.  

Complete bs. Starting in 2017 the Cubs acquired Quintana, Castellanos, Darvish, Chatwood, Morrow, Cishek, Kimbrel, Wade Davis either via trade or free agency. There is no way in hell you can sit up and tell me that the Ricketts closed the purse strings completely while a competitive window was still open. They gave Theo/Jed plenty of resources to acquire those players. The people to blame during that time are the players that in some cases significantly underperformed during that time. Stop acting like the Ricketts are some cheap owners like the Pirates or Marlins that won't give their front office the resources to go out and get players because they did.

As far as that Yu Darvish trade, goodness man get the **** over that guy. He is not close to what you make him out to be. He's always hurt, chokes in the biggest moments, and on the wrong side of 30. There is no way I am every going to cry as much as you do about Darvish. Not at that age and his injury history.

17 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

Oh, but you did. You @ me when we had the division lead. Your hysterical posts in reaction to me tell me I’m right 

Ohhhh but I didn't. I just told you the dates I posted. The Cubs weren't in 1st place in April moron. Most posts were in response to hpubes about Darvish and quitting on the season at the beginning of the season. I never said they were going to win the division like you said either.

This is what you post

On 6/21/2021 at 4:01 PM, Breesus mode said:

In first place, just as predicted.

So if any one was bumping up threads when they were in first place it was you. 

Now go find something to make up about me that you are completely wrong about or more preferably shut the **** up.

Edited by bootsy

8 minutes ago, bootsy said:

Ohhhh but I didn't. I just told you the dates I posted. The Cubs weren't in 1st place in April moron. Most posts were in response to hpubes about Darvish and quitting on the season at the beginning of the season. I never said they were going to win the division like you said either.

This is what you post

So if any one was bumping up threads when they were in first place it was you. 

Now go find something to make up about me that you are completely wrong about or more preferably shut the **** up.

No you tagged hrubes and I when we were in first calling us quitters. I’m not gonna stop posting, you can’t make me