Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

15 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Rotation’s at least better than last year, but that’s not saying much. Steele intrigues me. I think I’m more worried about the bullpen. 

Yeah, the bullpen could be terrible.  Or it could surprise.  Just so much variance out there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 7:43 PM, Blazer026 said:

I thought we might have a chance to hang around .500 this year. That first series against the Brewers got me too hopeful. Team is a tough watch right now. 

They may have had a chance if the pitching stayed healthy.  But Miley/Alzolay/Mills all starting the year hurt, and now Stroman going down with Covid really torpedoed the early season.  The offense isn't great either, but it's good enough to be around that .500 mark that you mentioned.  Looks like another selloff to look forward to in July/August.  

On the plus side, Pete Crow-Armstrong (the guy we got back from the Mets for 2 months of Javy) has been the most impressive minor leaguer perhaps in all of baseball so far.  He has plus, plus defense in CF.  He has stolen 8 bases in 22 games.  Oh, and he also is rocking a 200 wRC+ with a .200 ISO, 12.3% BB rate, and 17.9% K rate.  We're talking prime Lorenzo Cain when he was balling out for the Royals.  Get excited about this kid.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 12:40 PM, Breesus mode said:

So whose system would you like to pilfer for happ/Contreras hrubes?

It's obviously still early, but the contending teams that are getting poor production from the C position are the Yankees, Astros, Padres, White Sox, Angels, Rays, and Mets.  The teams with poor LF production are the Braves, White Sox, Blue Jays, Cards, Rays, and Yankees.  Some of those teams already have good players at the position, but they are just slumping or not hitting their stride yet.  Some of these teams also have options in their own farm systems if they want to go that route.  

The Yankees, Astros, Angels, Mets, and maybe the Padres (depending on if they give Campusano a shot) make sense for Contreras.  Astros system is a barren wasteland so let's hope we make no trades with them.  Interesting prospects are definitely in all the other systems mentioned.

Blue Jays are about the only team above that doesn't have a guy at LF that should be given a fair bit of run to turn their season around.  They have a decent system as well.  

I honestly think a Contreras/Robertson package deal is going to bring a fairly solid return this summer.  

• Like 1

Man, I don't know who worked with Ian Happ this offseason but they earned their money.  Dude has been completely transformed at the plate.  He has 153 PAs, so it's not just a small sample size mirage either.  He slashed his K rate by 9%.  He upped his already healthy BB rate by over 4%.  His zone contact rate is up 5%.  His out of zone contact rate is up an absurd 11%.  And to top it off, he's been an above average defensive LFer.  I didn't think I'd ever say this, but they may want to consider extending Happ instead of trading him.  He's only in his age 27 season.

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

It's gonna get even worse once Willy/Happ/Robertson are all dealt in the next month.

Happy with the way Happ has been playing too. I was always for trading him since his strikeout % is so high, but he’s really cut it down this year. 

On 6/27/2022 at 6:59 PM, Blazer026 said:

Happy with the way Happ has been playing too. I was always for trading him since his strikeout % is so high, but he’s really cut it down this year. 

I still don't trust him at all.  See if something buys high on him, imo.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 9:24 AM, CWood21 said:

Still would have rather had them take one of the 3 hitters that fell in their lap, but they certainly were able to add some high ceiling arms to the system.  I'm guessing they are focusing on position players in the trade talks for Willy/Happ/Robertson.