Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 10:06 AM, Breesus mode said:

The Cubs are in a playoff spot!@hrubes20 do PCA and Alcantara  fill in the corner OF spots?

PCA may get a cup of coffee, but he's playing CF every day if he does.  His defense out there is ridiculously good.  I would say there is a 0% chance Alcantara comes up.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

What do we do with our logjam?

Not really a logjam yet, as Alcantara is still only in High A ball and was dinged up this year a good bit.  2024 will be Happ/PCA/Suzuki and see what happens there.  My guess is that Alcantara is used as trade bait for pitching.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Man, if the Cubs were ever going to start acting like a big market team, this is the offseason to do it.  Ohtani is the best baseball player any of us have ever seen.  He's a 1/1 unicorn.   Juan Soto is very available via trade and the cost of acquisition will be very reasonable due to his $33 million salary on a 1 year deal.  He's arguably a top 5 hitter in the entire game.  Yoshinobu Yamamoto is coming over from Japan this year and was terrific again this year in his age 24 season.  He isn't nearly as physically imposing as Yu Darvish, but his results were somewhat similar in Japan and his stuff is terrific.  He's a good bit more well-regarded than Tanaka or Senga were when they came over.   Bellinger is out there still as well, of course.  Pete Alonso is apparently available in a trade.  

Please open up the wallet this offseason, Ricketts.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Busch gonna play 3B or 1B? 

Have to hope they try to coach him up at 3B and that something clicks.  We already have Morel being unable to play any position well and filling up the DH spot.  I love watching Morel, but it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to try and sell high on him.  His stats after the HR binge to start the year are a little alarming.

On 1/11/2024 at 5:15 PM, hrubes20 said:

Have to hope they try to coach him up at 3B and that something clicks.  We already have Morel being unable to play any position well and filling up the DH spot.  I love watching Morel, but it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to try and sell high on him.  His stats after the HR binge to start the year are a little alarming.

Kinda hoping he plays 1B and we sign Chapman 

On 1/12/2024 at 5:55 PM, Blazer026 said:

Kinda hoping he plays 1B and we sign Chapman 

Hoyer apparently said at Cubs Convention that Busch is indeed going to be a 1B.  Mervis not going to get another shot, it looks like.  

I don't want to sign Chapman, just because I think Matt Shaw is going to be ready by the end of this year.  Dude absolutely torched the minors in his debut and has been getting in tons of work to switch to 3B defensively.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

New season starts tonight!  Cubs are surprisingly the favorites by most to win the division.  Feels good to have a team that has at least some sort of expectation of winning.  

Are they?  I just assumed Milwaukee or Cincinnati were the favorites.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Are they?  I just assumed Milwaukee or Cincinnati were the favorites.

Not sure about Vegas, tbh, but I read a couple articles that polled "multiple baseball execs" or some such.  Could all be fluff of course.  Cubs and Cards were the top 2, with the Reds and Brewers a distant 3rd and 4th.  

I will be honest, in that I will take anything at this point.  Team has been too noncompetitive for far too long.

13 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I’m already sick of Morel at 3B. He’s terrible defensively. Just put him at DH

He's been brutal over there so far.  He's got a cannon for an arm but apparently can only make good throws from 2B.  Hopefully Matt Shaw continues raking in AA to start the year and forces their hand to promote him for 3B, with Morel going to DH.  

• Like 1