Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

On 5/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, Blazer026 said:

And we’re back! Lol 😂 

Makes sense.  The team that was several games below .500; getting worked over by the previous 3-4 opponents; just swept the Dodgers when they trotted out the best 1-3 SPs in the game.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 1:50 PM, hrubes20 said:

You know what this team could use?  A really good SP.  A guy like Yu Darvish would really be nice to have right now.

I don’t understand how we’re winning games with all these guys on the DL or how the bullpen is actually good. I’ll take it though. 

Edited by Blazer026

On 4/4/2021 at 4:49 PM, Breesus mode said:

Having a hard time seeing how we win more than 80 games 

On 4/6/2021 at 10:51 AM, hrubes20 said:

If it looks EXACTLY the same as the team has the past couple seasons, where they were more or less a .500 or slightly better team, then yes you can.  

The same guy that said all of these things is now going to this card:

On 6/1/2021 at 1:50 PM, hrubes20 said:

You know what this team could use?  A really good SP.  A guy like Yu Darvish would really be nice to have right now.

Yu Darvish? We need a good SP but  I'm good on Yu plus he's is an underperformer in the playoffs. If we get there he is not the guy I want to depend on. He served his purpose and we've moved on nicely so far. Stick to your original prediction you stated above.

Edited by bootsy

On 6/2/2021 at 5:03 PM, bootsy said:

The same guy that said all of these things is now going to this card:

Yu Darvish? We need a good SP but  I'm good on Yu plus he's is an underperformer in the playoffs. If we get there he is not the guy I want to depend on. He served his purpose and we've moved on nicely so far. Stick to your original prediction you stated above.

I have no idea what this post even means.  Are you trying to suggest that any of those statements were contradictory?  This team IS still a .500 or so team, unless you think Patrick Wisdom going bonkers is sustainable (he is seriously on a crazy run right now); the young bullpen is indeed the very best in baseball; and that AAA journeymen and non-prospects are going to continue to be able to contribute in such a positive way the entire season.  The Cubs are very lucky right now to be in first, as their true talent is not this good.

Their starting pitching is literally the worst in baseball.  Yu Darvish is one of the best pitchers in baseball.  Having him would unquestionably make this team better and enhance their chances of getting into the playoffs, where quite anything can happen.  This portion isn't even debatable.  

9 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I have no idea what this post even means.  Are you trying to suggest that any of those statements were contradictory?  This team IS still a .500 or so team, unless you think Patrick Wisdom going bonkers is sustainable (he is seriously on a crazy run right now); the young bullpen is indeed the very best in baseball; and that AAA journeymen and non-prospects are going to continue to be able to contribute in such a positive way the entire season.  The Cubs are very lucky right now to be in first, as their true talent is not this good.

Their starting pitching is literally the worst in baseball.  Yu Darvish is one of the best pitchers in baseball.  Having him would unquestionably make this team better and enhance their chances of getting into the playoffs, where quite anything can happen.  This portion isn't even debatable.  

It means Yu Darvish sucks in the postseason and I don't miss him at all. It also means you gave up on this team the first week of the season. That's what it means. Not hard to understand unless it's you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, bootsy said:

It means Yu Darvish sucks in the postseason and I don't miss him at all. It also means you gave up on this team the first week of the season. That's what it means. Not hard to understand unless it's you.

Sigh.  

I think we've reached the point where Jason Heyward needs to be a full-time bench player/late inning defensive replacement.  He is rolling over everything.  Give Wisdom/Alcantara a bunch of run at 3B and let KB start in RF.  Or let Marisnick get more starts in CF, pushing Happ to RF.

5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I think we've reached the point where Jason Heyward needs to be a full-time bench player/late inning defensive replacement.  He is rolling over everything.  Give Wisdom/Alcantara a bunch of run at 3B and let KB start in RF.  Or let Marisnick get more starts in CF, pushing Happ to RF.

Sigh

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Lol we’re not even above 500 anymore. Quite the losing streak 

It's almost like all of us in here, minus 1, knew this team was a .500 talent team from the beginning.  Crazy.

Really dang ugly though.  I realize that they still actually have a shot at the division, given how the schedules have played out so far (Brewers MUCH harder the 2nd half) but just go ahead and sell.  Get the next competitive window open sooner.  Trade all the relievers with 2 or less years of control.  See if someone would give up a lotto ticket for Joc.  It's painful, but trade KB.  He is going to the highest bidder in the offseason, which won't be the Cubs after Papa Ricketts tightened the purse strings.  The trade return would very likely be better than the 75th overall pick they would get for compensation when he walks after the year. 

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

It's almost like all of us in here, minus 1, knew this team was a .500 talent team from the beginning.  Crazy.

Really dang ugly though.  I realize that they still actually have a shot at the division, given how the schedules have played out so far (Brewers MUCH harder the 2nd half) but just go ahead and sell.  Get the next competitive window open sooner.  Trade all the relievers with 2 or less years of control.  See if someone would give up a lotto ticket for Joc.  It's painful, but trade KB.  He is going to the highest bidder in the offseason, which won't be the Cubs after Papa Ricketts tightened the purse strings.  The trade return would very likely be better than the 75th overall pick they would get for compensation when he walks after the year. 

What are your thoughts on selling Baez, Rizzo, and Willson? 

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

What are your thoughts on selling Baez, Rizzo, and Willson? 

I don't want to trade Willy.  It's really tough to find a frontline catcher in this league.  I realize he would net a big return, but I still pass on that.

I don't think Rizzo or Javy bring back much in terms of prospects, so I'd rather just keep them.  I would hate trading Rizzo no matter what, but I could get on board with a Javy trade if someone actually did offer up a worthwhile prospect.