Jaguars extend QB Trevor Lawrence (5 years, $275M, $200M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

Considering how everyone thinks this is a horrific deal(it's not). 50+ is the going rate for a starting QB now. 

Jags broke the wr market and now likely just broke the QB market.

Bro I have been the biggest Trevor hater on the forums for 3 years it feels, but I actually agree as much as I hate the deal. 

I hate extending him at all at this point, but if you are going to do it, this is what you were gonna have to pay imo. 

Which is why I hated paying him lol.

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

U forget how the jags missed multiple passing TDs cuz guys weren't getting their feet inbounds specifically Calvin Ridley and to a lesser extent Zay Jones.

Sure, but we need to give him about 10-15 more TDs before it becomes good value imo

35 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Oof. I don't think he will be worth the pay but I love how aggressive they were in locking him down. Either they made the smart move or this turns out to be a disastrous one IMO, so I'm going to enjoy the show.

Really though, if he played well this year how much more would the cost have gone up? It would still be a market-altering deal, and it isn't like he'd suddenly jump to $70 million filly guaranteed per year with a great year. Just seems a little over-aggressive to me without a ton of upside.

Yeah, considering the number, they could have just waited and not lost out on much.

$55M is a lot of play for a QB period - and it's especially high for a QB who's very much still middle of the pack. But hey, TLaw is a quality starter and he's super young so someone was going to give him this contract if the Jags didn't.

• Like 1

Just now, Soggust said:

Bro I have been the biggest Trevor hater on the forums for 3 years it feels, but I actually agree as much as I hate the deal. 

I hate extending him at all at this point, but if you are going to do it, this is what you were gonna have to pay imo. 

Which is why I hated paying him lol.

I actually liked paying him now. 

1) unless jags completely fall off the rails jags aren't going to be near the top of the draft to get a QB.

2) guy wants to play here and he wants to suceed.  I'll take that.

3) I hate to say it but he can't really play much worse then the 2nd half of last year but he had injuries and loss of wr1 during that stretch.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 6:52 PM, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah, considering the number, they could have just waited and not lost out on much.

$55M is a lot of play for a QB period - and it's especially high for a QB who's very much still middle of the pack. But hey, TLaw is a quality starter and he's super young so someone was going to give him this contract if the Jags didn't.

The $200MM guaranteed is the bigger deal than the $55MM AAV. Depending on the structure Lawrence may have practically guaranteed the 4th year.

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Sure, but we need to give him about 10-15 more TDs before it becomes good value imo

I think Thomas jr can give him at least 6.  Gabe has 7 TDs a year.

Lawrence also one of the best deep ball QBs and now he has a couple deep guys

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

unless jags completely fall off the rails jags aren't going to be near the top of the draft to get a QB.

Unfortunately this is the reality of the NFL. It's sorta like my complaint about NBA max deals. Even if the guy isn't worth all of it, losing him hurts more because it's unlikely to be able to replace even that level.

• Like 1

QB1: 4016 yards, 21 TDs passing, 4 TDs rushing, 14 INT, 12 fumbles, 65.6% completion, 3.7 TD%, 2.5 INT%, 6.7 AY/A, 88.5 passer rating, 8-8 missed the playoffs.

QB2: 4044 yards, 28 TDs passing, 1 TD rushing, 10 INT, 8 fumbles, 64.3% completion, 4.9 TD%, 1.8 INT%, 7.3 AY/A, 94.6 passer rating, 9-8 made the playoffs and won a game.

One signed for $55M AAV, because “that’s the going rate for starting QBs”, the other signed for $33.3M AAV in the same offseason. 

FWIW, I understand Baker Mayfields don’t grow on trees and he largely had a better receiving group. But if you want to include two other QBs who signed deals this offseason, the one with the worst year also signed the fattest deal, lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Unfortunately this is the reality of the NFL. It's sorta like my complaint about NBA max deals. Even if the guy isn't worth all of it, losing him hurts more because it's unlikely to be able to replace even that level.

I'm curious to see what the 49ers and dolphins do cuz I feel their schemes are very QB friendly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

I actually liked paying him now. 

1) unless jags completely fall off the rails jags aren't going to be near the top of the draft to get a QB.

2) guy wants to play here and he wants to suceed.  I'll take that.

3) I hate to say it but he can't really play much worse then the 2nd half of last year but he had injuries and loss of wr1 during that stretch.

Yeah I mean it’s a bit of a gross spot. 

Clearly, the Jags didn’t feel like they needed to see more.

Now, that doesn’t mean they are necessarily correct lol, as we have seen plenty of franchise make bad decisions or waste great players, but if you believe he’s your guy I understand paying him sooner rather than later. And they certainly have seen more than me. 

But I still feel like his resume to date is far below other guys who got #1 money, so the real prove it time is now I guess. 

Because now he’s paid so it’s hard to blame support going forward. You’re paying him to be the guy regardless of support. And he should now be held to the same ridiculous standards we hold every other QB not named Mahomes to imo. 

2 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Yeah I mean it’s a bit of a gross spot. 

Clearly, the Jags didn’t feel like they needed to see more.

Now, that doesn’t mean they are necessarily correct lol, as we have seen plenty of franchise make bad decisions or waste great players, but if you believe he’s your guy I understand paying him sooner rather than later. And they certainly have seen more than me. 

But I still feel like his resume to date is far below other guys who got #1 money, so the real prove it time is now I guess. 

Because now he’s paid so it’s hard to blame support going forward. You’re paying him to be the guy regardless of support. And he should now be held to the same ridiculous standards we hold every other QB not named Mahomes to imo. 

I think he balls out this year.   Line is fully healthy.

Finally has 2 bigger wrs he hasn't had since college(Higgins, Ross).

• Like 1