Watching the other five 2024 1st round rookie QB's....

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The numbers might not all be correct. JJ has thrown at least 3 INTs. 

Still nice to see though!

He has only thrown 2 INTs in team drills, 7v7-11v11, He has more in one on ones but that is more a WR vs DB drill with the QB throwing regardless of the coverage.  The last total numbers I saw was five days ago he was 64/72 (89%) 22 TDs and 1 INT. I know he threw his second pick in team drills yesterday, so those numbers are probably right.

• Like 1

Jarrett Stidham is the Broncos’ starting quarterback for the first week of the preseason, while rookie Bo Nix will get the job next week.

Broncos head coach Sean Payton said today that Stidham will start this Sunday against the Colts. Nix will start on Sunday, August 18, against the Packers.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jarrett-stidham-will-start-broncos-preseason-opener-bo-nix-will-start-next-week

Drake Maye, the third overall pick in the 2024 draft, handled one drive for the Patriots in his first preseason game at Gillette Stadium. It covered eight plays and generated 21 yards of offense, ending with a punt from the Carolina 45. Maye completed two of three passes for 19 yards.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/drake-maye-gets-one-drive-in-preseason-debut

Michael Penix Jr played great last night, looks like Atlanta made a great move getting him.  Only negative is they allow time for him to sit and learn with Kirk Cousins on the roster but he is probably ready to play right now.

Threw passes on time, was able to go under center pretty easily, threw good play action passes and was aggressively targeting receivers downfield and taking shots that were throws that only the WR could get it or no one could get it on a few deeper passes.  Dude has a great spiral, effortless passer who was pin point accurate at times.  Sure he was not perfect but for his first action he looked good.  

Kid looks legit and super comfortable out there,  by the way was playing with a bunch of no name average receivers and that did not matter either.  

Joe Milton did not look bad for the Patriots either and is in a great position to sit and develop.  Not a ton of expectations for him being a later round pick and them already having Maye on board.  Could be a great place for Milton and with the talent he has anything can happen with an arm like that, used his legs a bit which honestly he did not do a ton of in college.  Will be curious what they do with Brissett, Maye, Zappe and Milton.   Obviously cannot keep all four of them and cannot hope any make the practice squad either.  Maybe Zappe if cut would make it to the PS but even that not sure of, no way obviously you cut Milton or Maye so they are in a decent spot with those two young guys.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Michael Penix Jr played great last night, looks like Atlanta made a great move getting him.

Penix: “It felt good to go out there and compete with my brothers. Just having fun out there and playing the game I’ve been playing since I was five years old. So, no nerves, no jitters, just ready to go.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/raheem-morris-michael-penix-jr-had-really-good-night-in-preseason-debut

46 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Penix: “It felt good to go out there and compete with my brothers. Just having fun out there and playing the game I’ve been playing since I was five years old. So, no nerves, no jitters, just ready to go.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/raheem-morris-michael-penix-jr-had-really-good-night-in-preseason-debut

It just sucks, he looks good to go right now and should be playing in the NFL.  He might be stuck on the bench for three years, that is pretty nuts honestly.  Sure Jordan Love sat but he was not nearly as proven or ready as Penix Jr is right now, not to mention not as experienced either being only a JR coming out of Utah State.  Will be interesting what happens in Atlanta, and not like the Falcons are going to just cut Cousins or something, $100 mil of that $180 is guaranteed.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

It just sucks, he looks good to go right now and should be playing in the NFL.  He might be stuck on the bench for three years, that is pretty nuts honestly.  Sure Jordan Love sat but he was not nearly as proven or ready as Penix Jr is right now, not to mention not as experienced either being only a JR coming out of Utah State.  Will be interesting what happens in Atlanta, and not like the Falcons are going to just cut Cousins or something, $100 mil of that $180 is guaranteed.  

yeah... ATL's "problem" or "mistake" was not drafting Penix at 8, but in signing Cousins and becoming beholden to him.

but there's always the real chance that Cousins doesn't play well, or has an injury that puts him on the bench. then ATL's problem only is a financial one.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yeah... ATL's "problem" or "mistake" was not drafting Penix at 8, but in signing Cousins and becoming beholden to him.

but there's always the real chance that Cousins doesn't play well, or has an injury that puts him on the bench. then ATL's problem only is a financial one.

That would be a massive financial problem I would say, but at least gives them security I guess.

Las Vegas Raiders (Minshew/O'Connell)

Denver Broncos (Nix/Stidham/Wilson)

New England Patriots (Brissett/Maye/Milton)

Tennessee Titans (Levis/Rudolph/Willis)

NY Giants (Jones/Lock/DeVito)

Minnesota Vikings (Darnold/McCarthy)

Things can change but this is where I would say the top QB issues are in the NFL in terms of talent right now and talent long term.  All of the QB situations is kind of up in the air, Raiders have stable starter in Minshew but long term who knows.  Broncos have talent long term but who knows if Nix can be the guy right now.  Same with the Vikings with McCarthy, can Darnold be a legit starter right now or not.  Patriots probably have the best combo in this group of two young guys and I am sure one of the two will hit.  Titans who knows if Levis is the guy honestly and doubt Willis is.  Giants with Jones, who knows if it was just the injuries last year or not.

The Atlanta Falcons are not on this list, which I guess is a good thing but ultimately Penix Jr would probably start on the Raiders and start on Denver and maybe even start on the Patriots or the Titans and probably on the Vikings.   So for him to sit for three years, yeah that could be rough and is odd because it is not like no team in the NFL could use a QB like him and play him now.

Jayden Daniels’ preseason debut against the Jets was an illustration of why the Commanders took the quarterback with the second overall pick in this year’s draft.

Daniels capped an 11-play, 70-yard opening drive by faking a handoff to running back Austin Ekeler and keeping the ball on a three-yard touchdown run. Marcus Mariota replaced him on the second Commanders possession.

The scoring run came after Daniels flashed his arm earlier in the drive. He hit wide receiver Dyami Brown for a 42-yard gain on a third down early in the drive and connected with Terry McLaurin for a three-yard gain on his only other completion.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jayden-daniels-runs-for-td-in-preseason-debut

For the Bears today, Caleb Williams looked pretty good.  He showed very good poise while dropping back, and threw a number of very nice looking passes.  He led the Bears up the field on two drives and we ended up with a field goal on both drives.  TD's would have been better, obviously, but hey, I'll take the scores.  :) 

So far, I'm very happy with what I've seen from him. 

Looking forward to seeing both of the new Vikings QB's in today's game against the Raiders.  Good luck, guys!